Menu

When to start Algebra I after R&S math?

MamaHappy

• 4 weeks later...
Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thanks Nevertheless I’m experiencing situation with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting identical rss problem? Anyone who knows kindly respond. ThnkxA good insight and ideas.. I will use it on my blog. You’ve obviously spent a lot of time on this. Congratulations! jordan 13 lebron 9 basketball shoe balck red, jordan 13 max 09 basketball shoe black purple, jordan 13 lebron 9 basketball shoe white

:spam: reported

What has your experience been with using R&S math and starting algebra? Are kids able to go into algebra after r&s 7? Or do they really need to go through level 8 first?

Thanks! :-)

Well, since your thread got bumped up by a spammer, I am now noticing it (and that no one ever replied!). :D

My son used R&S all the way through Book 8. I had read here a long time ago that going all the way through would be excellent preparation for an Algebra I course, and I have found this to be true. He is doing Algebra I this year (an old Dolciani - very thorough and clearly written) and thriving.

I'm not sure about starting Algebra I after just R&S 7....hopefully someone else can better answer that for you. I will say that my very mathy son was biting at the bit last year while going through R&S 8 - he wanted to move on to Algebra I, but I, being a very non-mathy and therefore a very nervous-about-algebra person, made him go through Book 8 just to be sure. :D

You might have better luck asking about this on the high school board. I know there are people there who used R&S and then went on to high school math courses.

I would suggest 8, also. If he's motivated to get to algebra, let him work through it faster than one lesson a day. :001_smile:

We decided to pull our oldest from R&S a bit early, because he's highly resistant to change in his curriculum, and also tends to struggle with math. We put him in the prealgebra book of the series we intend him to use for algebra 1 and 2. This way, by the time he gets to algebra, the style in the book and the way it's set up will be old hat, and he can just focus on learning the math. Instead of learning new math and a new book at the same time, along with being grumpy because I made him change publishers. :tongue_smilie:

Long story short, I don't think he would have been ready for the jump to algebra with just 7.