Menu

Being dirty when you are little is good for you

Have you hear of the "hygiene hypothesis"? It suggests the we as a society are too clean, giving the immune system nothing to do hence the rise in food/environmental allergies and asthma.

My kids immune syystem should be plenty active :) I nearly have to hose them down after they play outside. I also do not own a bottle of hand sanitizer.

Edited by melissad2

Interesting, my husband grew up on a dairy farm and has some of the worse allergies of any adult I know.

I've also heard that raw milk can be helpful in preventing allergies and almost jumped on that bandwagon with my kids (who both have allergies) until I once again realized my husband grew up on a dairy farm drinking raw milk.

I'm sure he's an anomaly, but that theory has not held true for him at all, unfortunately.

Lisa

Interesting, my husband grew up on a dairy farm and has some of the worse allergies of any adult I know.

I've also heard that raw milk can be helpful in preventing allergies and almost jumped on that bandwagon with my kids (who both have allergies) until I once again realized my husband grew up on a dairy farm drinking raw milk.

I'm sure he's an anomaly, but that theory has not held true for him at all, unfortunately.

Lisa

Genetics maybe? IDK but I know that I have pretty bad environmental allergies that seem to be soooo much worse when I'm pregnant:confused:

Have you hear of the "hygiene hypothesis"? It suggests the we as a society are too clean, giving the immune system nothing to do hence the rise in food/environmental allergies and asthma.

My kids immune syystem should be plenty active :) I nearly have to hose them down after they play outside. I also do not own a bottle of hand sanitizer.

:iagree: My cousins were practically bathed in sanitizer when they were little and were the sickest children I've ever met. Asthma, allergies, colds, etc., etc., etc. My aunt has been hyper critical of my mode of parenting, which does not include hand sanitizer at every doorway in the house, and my kids are never sick. Even when they were little, they had the normal colds and such, but after about 9 months, they were never sick again.

Of course, it's different for every person. I'll just count my blessings that dirt = immunity apparently at our house.

:iagree: My cousins were practically bathed in sanitizer when they were little and were the sickest children I've ever met. Asthma, allergies, colds, etc., etc., etc. My aunt has been hyper critical of my mode of parenting, which does not include hand sanitizer at every doorway in the house, and my kids are never sick. Even when they were little, they had the normal colds and such, but after about 9 months, they were never sick again.

Of course, it's different for every person. I'll just count my blessings that dirt = immunity apparently at our house.

:iagree:

I have a cousin that is like that too. When her kids were babies they had a bottle of hand sanitizer in every room. Both of her kids have asthma and multiple allergies. I, on the other hand, believe in letting kids get dirty. If they pick up a chip that landed on the floor and eat it I do not freak out! Kids will be kids and that is the kind of stuff they do.

That being said, I am a nurse and do use hand sanitizer at work but I still prefer soap and water.

I could have posted this exactly. I witnessed my cousin scream at and berate her 5-6 yr. old son for drinking out of the garden hose because of the "germs". She was another one with the hand sanitizer at every moment. Had to wash your hands and dry with a paper towel before you could even enter her house. They are always sick. We are almost never sick.

I could have posted this exactly. I witnessed my cousin scream at and berate her 5-6 yr. old son for drinking out of the garden hose because of the "germs". She was another one with the hand sanitizer at every moment. Had to wash your hands and dry with a paper towel before you could even enter her house. They are always sick. We are almost never sick.

Which begs the question:

Which came first, always sick, so hypervigilant w/sanitizer, or hypervigilant, then sick?

I honestly feel kinda sad about kids who are never allowed to muck about. The ones whose Mom's spazz out if their clothes are the slightest bit dirty, who are just horrified if their kid splashes in a puddle. (I'm not talking, on the way somewhere special and kidlet gets special outfit filthy, talking regular every day thing)

I figure clothes and kids are washable.

It's very nice for everyone who has dirty, healthy kids with no allergies. But I'd like to put in a plea here that folks not translate that to "kids with allergies = paranoid, over-hygenic mother." My daughter has severe food allergies, even though she has always gotten as dirty as any other ordinary kid and even though I hate hand sanitizer and have never used it. At this point, no one really knows what causes allergies, and there are many possible factors that might play into it, including genetics (and, IMO, possibly environmental factors we cannot control, now that we've spent a lot of time dumping weird chemicals around).

I have often been told straight to my face that my bad parenting--in the form of being overly hygenic--caused my daughter's allergies. Those people obviously do not know me very well and have never seen my house. :D But that doesn't make it very fun for me.

Once upon a time, before we knew more about autism, we blamed 'cold' mothers for it. We blamed homosexuality on 'overinvolved' mothers. We still often blame various mental issues on mothers. Blaming mothers for their children's condition is a national pastime, and it does seem to me to have some roots in fear and a kind of reflexive superstition. If you can blame a child's scary allergies on bad parenting, then it will never happen to you, because you are (or would be) a good parent, which will keep you safe.

I don't mean to be a party pooper or blame people here for this; no one at WTM has ever told me that I'm a bad mother who caused my daughter's allergies while congratulating themselves on having barefoot allergy-free kids. But IME it's a really, really easy trap to fall into. :001_smile:

Dangermom, I don't believe that at all.

I *do* believe that the rise in allergies is at least two-fold.

One, we're more aware.

Two, I really do believe that environment we live in, the air, soil, water quality, pesticide use, combined w/genetic modification of food has LOADS to do w/it.

I *do* think that as a society we over use chemicals...on our bodies, our homes, etc, and constant exposure to chemicals *has* to have an effect. I'm not talking hyper vigilant parenting, I'm talking in 'normal' day to day life...chemicals to clean floors, toliets, clothing, air fresheners, bug spray...Look at the upswing in chemical sensitivities/allergies.

There's something beyond genetics...Considering how prevelant allergies are now, compared to a generation or two ago...

Which begs the question:

Which came first, always sick, so hypervigilant w/sanitizer, or hypervigilant, then sick?

I honestly feel kinda sad about kids who are never allowed to muck about. The ones whose Mom's spazz out if their clothes are the slightest bit dirty, who are just horrified if their kid splashes in a puddle. (I'm not talking, on the way somewhere special and kidlet gets special outfit filthy, talking regular every day thing)

I figure clothes and kids are washable.

:lol: This makes me think of when DS6 was about 3...he was walking into church with my grandma when they were here for a visit...it was pouring down rain. Next to the curb there was a little stream/puddle of water running, and my grandma, without thinking, said 'Jump!' - meaning jump over the water. He, of course, jumped in it. :D He got water on her dress, her stockings, everything. We couldn't help but laugh...she was like, well, I did tell him to jump and I didn't specify lol... :)

It's very nice for everyone who has dirty, healthy kids with no allergies. But I'd like to put in a plea here that folks not translate that to "kids with allergies = paranoid, over-hygenic mother." My daughter has severe food allergies, even though she has always gotten as dirty as any other ordinary kid and even though I hate hand sanitizer and have never used it. At this point, no one really knows what causes allergies, and there are many possible factors that might play into it, including genetics (and, IMO, possibly environmental factors we cannot control, now that we've spent a lot of time dumping weird chemicals around).

I have often been told straight to my face that my bad parenting--in the form of being overly hygenic--caused my daughter's allergies. Those people obviously do not know me very well and have never seen my house. :D But that doesn't make it very fun for me.

Once upon a time, before we knew more about autism, we blamed 'cold' mothers for it. We blamed homosexuality on 'overinvolved' mothers. We still often blame various mental issues on mothers. Blaming mothers for their children's condition is a national pastime, and it does seem to me to have some roots in fear and a kind of reflexive superstition. If you can blame a child's scary allergies on bad parenting, then it will never happen to you, because you are (or would be) a good parent, which will keep you safe.

I don't mean to be a party pooper or blame people here for this; no one at WTM has ever told me that I'm a bad mother who caused my daughter's allergies while congratulating themselves on having barefoot allergy-free kids. But IME it's a really, really easy trap to fall into. :001_smile:

I think of this sometimes too. The more I am around kids (mine/others/whatever), the more I think that kids just are what they are, and there really isn't much that we do to change that (physically. I'm not talking about other stuff here!) I know tons of kids with asthma whose moms have done tons to protect them from getting asthma, and then I know kids with asthma whose moms are totally laid back about it. I have one with asthma and eczema, two without it. It's just interesting. I have one friend whose daughter had MRSA as an infant and she is religiously diligent with what she is exposed to. Its understandable.

I am cool with kids getting dirty, at the right time and place. :) We don't do the antibacterial everything, etc.

One, we're more aware.

Two, I really do believe that environment we live in, the air, soil, water quality, pesticide use, combined w/genetic modification of food has LOADS to do w/it.

I *do* think that as a society we over use chemicals...on our bodies, our homes, etc, and constant exposure to chemicals *has* to have an effect. I'm not talking hyper vigilant parenting, I'm talking in 'normal' day to day life...chemicals to clean floors, toliets, clothing, air fresheners, bug spray...Look at the upswing in chemical sensitivities/allergies.

There's something beyond genetics...Considering how prevelant allergies are now, compared to a generation or two ago...

True.

Sometimes I wonder if there is anything I can do to limit my kids exposure to chemicals and such. But then it just seems like such a huge undertaking...

:iagree: We do put too much blame on parents, and the reality is we have little control over anything, and we know very little about what causes most things. I was told over and over that my youngest would not have gotten cancer if I had not let him eat ice cream before he was 1 or if I had not given him a few sodas, or if I would have let him play in the mud to build up his immune system. He NEVER got sick prior to cancer, and he was the youngest of three kids who got plenty dirty and had a much better diet than the other two at his age. People blame mom, because then they can point at something and say, that will never happen to my child because I do X,Y, and Z. If it makes them feel better, fine whatever, but it will not change what happens to their child, and the fact that they have no control over it.

Wolf and I are firm believers that dirty kids = happy, healthy kids.

They play outside, they stomp in puddles, they dig in the dirt.

So far, so good. :001_smile:

:iagree: That's our philosophy. I think I only wore shoes as a kid during school. We stepped on rusty nails, scraped ourselves from head to toe, climbed trees, spent hours making mud pies, and drank from the hose! This is pretty much my kids life too!

:iagree: I am anti-hand sanitizer. My kids love dirt and go barefoot all of the time. I am an obsessive hand washer, but I have no problem with playing in mud and compost, etc. Dirt is good for you! I know soooooooooooo many parents who freak out at the slightest hint of dirt and almost keep their kids in bubbles. Let them have fun and play in dirt!

:iagree: Or, antibacterial soap.

Indeed, studies have shown that a sick baby (I mean more than a cold ... pneumonia or bloody diarrhea, etc) turns parents into worriers, even if the child recovers to normalcy, the parents still feel the child is more vulnerable than others.

But lots of people have mild germ phobias.

One, we're more aware.

:iagree:It can be useful to know the latest ideas on how to prevent allergies though. I have multiple allergies and sensitivities dating from since I was an infant. I knew my dc would be more likely to develop allergies. Therefore I researched allergy prevention during my pregnancy and implemented many of the things I learned. Thankfully, my dd7 does not have major allergy problems but I do not know whether that is from any action of mine or if she just inherited her father's immune system.

Lisa

Raw milk has enzymes in it that makes it easier to digest, so for many people with sensitivities or lactose intolerance it can be very helpful. But if you are allergic to cow's milk protein, it doesn't matter what kind of cow's milk it is - you'll still be allergic to it.

I think one issue with allergies relates to the overall environment - the more contaminents/chemicals/yucky stuff our bodies have to deal with on a daily basis, the more difficult it becomes to deal with allergies. Sort of like an overflowing cup (of mud). If it gets too full, it starts overflowing and the body reacts more severely.

Dh and my oldest daughter have allergies - animal/tree/plant/foods. So far none of my other kids have shown any major reactions to anything, except my 7yo who gets a rash if he drinks goat's milk. (none of us drink much cows milk.) Dh and dd were also NOT breastfed and were given soy formula as babies. Don't know if there's a connection there, but maybe.

Edited by Susan in TN

I take the middle path. I let my kids play and then wash up, and do wash hands before eating. Fecal matter + lunch = bad deal. I only use hand santizer when on the road.

We are here too. I also am a firm believer of the 5 second rule.

We are not germ a phobs, however dd has viral asthma, so first sign of a sniffy nose and we become hyper vigilant for a time.

Totally Off topic, but Bristol is where my dh went to Uni!

:iagree: We do put too much blame on parents, and the reality is we have little control over anything, and we know very little about what causes most things. I was told over and over that my youngest would not have gotten cancer if I had not let him eat ice cream before he was 1 or if I had not given him a few sodas, or if I would have let him play in the mud to build up his immune system. He NEVER got sick prior to cancer, and he was the youngest of three kids who got plenty dirty and had a much better diet than the other two at his age. People blame mom, because then they can point at something and say, that will never happen to my child because I do X,Y, and Z. If it makes them feel better, fine whatever, but it will not change what happens to their child, and the fact that they have no control over it.

I'm so sorry that this happened to your child. I do believe that you are absolutely correct that people feel compelled to point at something "that is to blame" so that they can sleep at night "knowing" that they are "safe" and it could never happen to them. I was a prosecutor for 7 years in Atlanta and I would never want young women on the jury for a rape case. It was the victim's "fault" for going to the grocery store at night or her "fault" for wearing "that." Women would attack the victim and blame her so that they would know that it could "never" happen to them. No one wants to live in fear, so they shift the blame somewhere that makes them feel more comfortable.

But as to the original thread... I have little piggies of my own. Love my messy, messy kids that bring more dirt inside on themselves then the leave outside. Having grown up in Florida, I never wore shoes and had perpetually skinned knees. I don't want my kids to miss out on the mess of childhood. We met a family at a HS play-date in the park who talked about making her kids wear masks and avoiding all jumpy places etc. even for birthday parties. My dd was horrified by how germaphobic the family was. We laughed at how they would NEVER want to come to our house.

Oh no...I didn't mean to to imply that at all! I just think that our society as a whole has become germ obessesed and over uses thing like hand sanitizer and antibacterial everything :)