Menu

3rd Grade Language Arts - What Do You Recommend?

WhatLight

I am looking at language arts curriculum for my daughter for this upcoming school year (third-grade), and I am just at a complete loss as far as what will work best for us. I'm hoping you knowledgeable ladies will have some insight for me. I am looking for a grammar, spelling/vocabulary, and writing program. They do not have to be from the same company/curriculum. I am completely at ease with mixing and matching.

Background:

My daughter (currently in second-grade) is reading at/slightly above grade level, but has a slight hearing impairment and a complete phonemic deficit, thus spelling is a real challenge for her. And I feel like we need a very strong phonics based spelling program because of that. She loves writing, and is constantly writing stories and poems. She is on/above grade level with grammar.

Thanks so much for any help you are able to provide!

First Language Lessons, Writing with Ease, and All About Spelling. That's all you'll need! I wouldn't push creative writing until her spelling is under control. My daughter also has a huge spelling deficit because of a language and speech delay. All About Spelling has worked miracles for us, in addition to Writing with Ease. Also, when choosing levels, ignore grade levels. Start with Level 1 in AAS. She can always move through it quickly. It's worth the money.

Here is what I use, and I think it is a very solid program, though Spelling Power would probably not work for your situation. I have not used AAS, but that may be what you are looking for regarding a spelling program.

Grammar: Rod and Staff English

Spelling: Spelling Power

Vocabulary: Dynamic Literacy (Word Build Foundations)

Writing: WWE2 (two days per week), then alternate doing either IEW SWI-A or Winning With Writing level 3 (mostly the second workbook) for three days per week. We will only get the first half of the IEW program done this year, and next year (for 4th grade) we will do the second half.)

I do a combination of three writing programs because I like variety and the different skills that each program teaches. I also do it because my children love to write stories, and there are various assignments in IEW and WWW which help them with their creative writing skills.

All about spelling would be great but you would want to make sure she is hearing the phonograms as you say them. I have hearing loss and often put my hearing aids in just for spelling.

We have really enjoyed FLL3 this year.

For writing, we used winning with writing and while their writing has improved I'm not sure I really liked the program. I'm wishing I would have only done WWE, which we use just for narration practice.

What about Phonics Road? It does both. You could back up into level 2, progress quickly through it, then get to level 3. I have learned more about spelling rules with this program. The grammar is incorporated and has been not too much and not too little for my 2nd grader.

Consider MCT LA for grammar/vocab/writing -- really creative and she'd probably love the poetry and writing parts. You'd need to add a spelling program. If she's writing on her own a lot, maybe consider just having her journal this year (in addition to the MCT)? She can practice taking her writing and improving it with the things she's learning. I wouldn't want to drill-and-kill or over-train her writing.

My ds is doing 3rd grade this year. Here's what we used for language arts:

Sequential Spelling (uses phonetic patterns to teach spelling--I love this program).

Easy Grammar 3 (done)coupled with an Evan Moor Daily Language Review (I stopped using the Daily Grams book because it was too simplistic. If your dd is doing well with grammar this may be a good quick refresher. I use this because my ds just gets grammar and spending too much time on it will drive him batty.)

Writing Strands book 3--it's pretty good, but not great.

Wordly Wise and English From the Roots Up ---vocabulary.

Jane Ervin's Reading Comprehension Book 1--these books really make him think. We used Book A last year.

HWT cursive (he's finished this and I've given him a Zaner Bloser book that has workpages and sensory activities to keep his cursive practice up)

Reading selections from Ambleside and WTM and lots of random places. I have a Scholastic book called Language Arts that has a lot of fun arts and crafts ideas that you can use with any book. We like to *do* things around here. :001_smile:

We also pull writing ideas or activities from Doing The Days---but we don't do it daily.

:lol::lol::lol:

Now you are going to have to join that curriculum swap thing they are talking aobut on another thread!

Seriously, you won't go wrong with FLL, WWE, and AAS. And this line up isn't as expensive as MCT (which I also like but you could try later) or Phonics Road (really hard for a non-auditory learner Mom like me to sit through the dvd instruction). It will get the ball rolling for you and you can experiment with the other things later on.

R&S Grammar is cheap too, especially used and you won't need the TM at that level, if you wanted to swap out the FLL. R&S is more serious than the FLL, FLL is more fun......Sometimes serious is good and sometimes fun is good. Depends on you and your child.

Good luck!

Based on your feedback, I think that I would look at Spelling Wisdom. You mentioned that your student had issues with hearing. This would help her to hear the sounds and recognize them as her "ear" hears them. Otherwise, you may want to take more of a copywork approach for spelling. If hearing is a severe issue or obstacle, certianly take a copywork approach versus a dictation approach. As well, you might consider mixing the two. :)

Learn to Spell Through Copywork

Spelling Wisdom

As for grammar, I would absolutely go with Rod & Staff or the WWE/FLL combination. I can't see you making a mistake either way except that WWE/FLL both have dictation as a primary component. Again, you may want to choose Rod & Staff over WWE/FLL because of the hearing impairment.

ETA: I also use Writing Strands and Writer's Express for writing. I do not use the writing lessons in R&S.