Menu

I have never had a smart dog before.

I had fun teaching my dog the names of her toys: "Go get X". I gave up at 20. Another great trick she had was following where I pointed. We went many places off leash. If I came upon broken glass at, say a local party spot out on a rural creek. I'd hold out my hand, and she'd stop. I would then fine a clear path and point it with my finger. She would delicately follow it.

Then I wondered if she knew about glass, so I tried it one day when there was no glass about. She still followed my direction perfectly.

Miss her still.

:) . I have had dumb dogs and smart ones. It is so much fun to have smart dogs, but also a challenge. They don't appreciate being ignored, and can get into mischief if left alone for very long!

Glad you are having a great time with your new doggie! We are looking at getting a Standard poodle soon, and hope to stay a step ahead of the dog most of the time :tongue_smilie:

My elder dog is not bright but has an unbelievable heart.

My new dog is usually bright but has also had some blonde moments. But it is a totally different pleasure to take a smart dog outside and work with him. And I've discovered that doing the 5-5-5 training is the keep to keeping him mentally calm!

Oh, yes. Boredom is not a good thing. He chewed my leather ottoman.

Does yours fetch? I used one of those water Kongs on a rope. I could sit out and read and she'd bring it back to me over and over. Exercise and good chewys helped her been a very good dog. She was very well behaved after about 2, when her go go go go settled in a bit.

Our yellow Lab was a joy in many different ways, but one of the coolest things about her was that when I took her for a walk on a long leash and came to an obstacle (sign, tree, etc.) that would have tied up the leash, all I had to do was say, "Go around!" and she would instantly look up, see the obstacle and double back to me. She would walk around a puddle too. So smart! Before kids, she and I used to walk 4 miles a day. Good times...

Milo (my avatar) is smart as a whip and knows all kinds of tricks, but most people's favorite is that he can high-5. DH's favorite is having Milo fetch the newspaper from the front yard while he is still in his pajamas in the house. :tongue_smilie:

before marriage and when I lived in Calif, I had a little terrier. She loved to go outside, but when I would go to the door and pat my leg twice, she came immediatly into the house, not even a second late.

Now with my cats, I can stand at the door, call their names 10 times and maybe they will come in and maybe they won't. It is totally their decision lol

before marriage and when I lived in Calif, I had a little terrier. She loved to go outside, but when I would go to the door and pat my leg twice, she came immediatly into the house, not even a second late.

Now with my cats, I can stand at the door, call their names 10 times and maybe they will come in and maybe they won't. It is totally their decision lol

Oh, that cracks me up. It's so true. Our dogs have always looked at us like we hung the moon, a look that says, "Whatever you want, I will do it. I will take a bullet for you." Our cats have always looked at us like, "You are so pathetic, calling me. Really? Look at yourself. Just look at yourself." Except when they want an ear scratch, of course... :tongue_smilie:

Oh, that cracks me up. It's so true. Our dogs have always looked at us like we hung the moon, a look that says, "Whatever you want, I will do it. I will take a bullet for you." Our cats have always looked at us like, "You are so pathetic, calling me. Really? Look at yourself. Just look at yourself." Except when they want an ear scratch, of course... :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol:

:lol: I often wonder how such a normally expressionless animal as a cat can manage such a look of distain? But they do. :D

:lol: I often wonder how such a normally expressionless animal as a cat can manage such a look of distain? But they do. :D

It is so simple really, cats know that they are superior to us. The allow us to bask in their glorious presence. Anyone who has been owned by a cat knows that it is our privilege to love them. We should be humble and grateful when they permit us to show them affection.

I have always had cats until the last few years. I have always loved the independence of cats. Now we just have our over-enthusiastic dog who is "all about the love."

I get that there are "dog people" and "cat people." I am definitely in the "both" column. But I have never understood people who don't like animals. How can you not melt when you see a cute puppy or kitten? Do those folks hate babies too?

My last two dogs have been incredibly smart, and with it has come some behavioral challenges. As a result DH and I joke that all future dogs will be dumb as a box of rocks if it is up to us.

I had a husky/shep that was so ridiculously smart it was insane. SHe was forever getting into things and causing trouble. She was by far the sneakiest dog I've ever owned. We would sometimes set up a video recorder to catch her in action because her antics were amazing.

My last two dogs have been incredibly smart, and with it has come some behavioral challenges. As a result DH and I joke that all future dogs will be dumb as a box of rocks if it is up to us.

This is why I spent a year going to animal rescue to find the perfect size, hair, and disposition. As I walked her around the parking lot I would speak to her, she immediately focused on me as if to say: at your service.

She was SUCH a good dog one T-giving we had a house of full of littles, and eating was a la carte. She was wild with interest in all the plates left here and there but did not beg, did not touch one until the last guest was ushered out the door. As it clicked shut, she bolted about the house eating every scrap left in the wood bin, the bathroom floor, etc. Really, she had a better sense of community behavior than many humans.

She was SUCH a good dog one T-giving we had a house of full of littles, and eating was a la carte. She was wild with interest in all the plates left here and there but did not beg, did not touch one until the last guest was ushered out the door. As it clicked shut, she bolted about the house eating every scrap left in the wood bin, the bathroom floor, etc. Really, she had a better sense of community behavior than many humans.

Self-control in a dog is in incredible thing. I remember a couple of years ago, when DD and DS5 were playing cats and dogs. They each had a little bowl of cereal on the floor that they were eating like kibble (don't ask, really :lol:). When pouring their creal kibble, they spilled much of it all over the floor. Milo walked around eating every single piece of cereal on the floor but did not touch what was in the bowls, although they were also on the floor, even when the kids walked into another room and left their kibble bowls behind. I thought that was incredible.

:iagree::lol:

It is so simple really, cats know that they are superior to us. The allow us to bask in their glorious presence. Anyone who has been owned by a cat knows that it is our privilege to love them. We should be humble and grateful when they permit us to show them affection.

I have always had cats until the last few years. I have always loved the independence of cats. Now we just have our over-enthusiastic dog who is "all about the love."

I get that there are "dog people" and "cat people." I am definitely in the "both" column. But I have never understood people who don't like animals. How can you not melt when you see a cute puppy or kitten? Do those folks hate babies too?

I get fear and allergies (and drool...I hate drool!), but just a general dislike is perplexing to me too.

My dog is smarter than he looks, he's an adorable lab, australian shepherd, border collie mix, and enjoys learning. I taught him, high five, low five, wave hi or bye, double paw high five, and play dead (we shout bang! and he rolls over and dies), so he's pretty smart. Loves to fetch and jump, and enjoys having a job (I have a dog backpack that I fill with items so it's like having a job to him.)

He needs to be kept busy, but is a great dog.:)

Our border collie is super smart as well.

She lays down on her left side when we start to groom her. After we finish brushing her one side, she stands up and flops down on her right side. That still cracks us up even though she's been doing it forever.

She has never learned to sleep in though. I am up at the crack of dawn-- as soon as she spots the first squirrel in the yard.:)

Hmmm....I'm not sure if our dog is smart or we're just dumb. :lol: He's always known a few 'tricks', but his latest is my favorite. He's getting really old, and just in the last year he started acting like he wants out (dancing around like he's got to GO NOW) so of course I let him out. Then he saunters out and lays down and won't come back in until we offer him a treat. :glare: He will literally sit out in the snow or rain shivering until I offer him one. And he KNOWS I don't want him to be cold....so he gets his stupid treat. Guess what happens an hour later? Yup. Doggy potty dance. I'm such a sucker. It would be different if I could just pick him up and bring him in, but he weighs only about 10 lbs less than I do, and I can't move him if he doesn't want to move, lol!

Does yours fetch? I used one of those water Kongs on a rope. I could sit out and read and she'd bring it back to me over and over. Exercise and good chewys helped her been a very good dog. She was very well behaved after about 2, when her go go go go settled in a bit.

He does! No idea where he got it. he's still a baby and we've had himless than a month. I have never had a dog that would fetch. That is a great idea.

Yesterday at the park I let him go free but kept the leash on him since I didn't know if he would take off. I wanted to be able to grap him better. We played a game of chase. he kept tripping on the leash. After about the 4th time he picked the leash up in his mouth and continued playing. :lol:

Awww. My little mutt I got when I was 16 was so unbelievably smart. She was the easiest thing to train you could ever imagine. What a dear, dear doggie. I would love another so smart.

He does! No idea where he got it. he's still a baby and we've had himless than a month. I have never had a dog that would fetch. That is a great idea.

http://www.tailsbythelake.com/cokowirom.html

We used it in water, but mostly on land. Careful, they are easy to get stuck in trees. Then you have to throw sticks to get it down, and try getting an eager beaver dog to stand aside, even after a few klongs on the head.

http://www.tailsbythelake.com/cokowirom.html

We used it in water, but mostly on land. Careful, they are easy to get stuck in trees. Then you have to throw sticks to get it down, and try getting an eager beaver dog to stand aside, even after a few klongs on the head.

Thanks for the link. The park we were at has a lake. He might like it.