Menu

Another replaced lunch

When I was in school, I took FLUFFER NUTTERS!!! (For you poor souls who don't know, it's peanut butter and MARSHMALLOW CREME!!!)

My mother would have been brought to trial, I'm sure.

I just cannot believe this stuff.

Oh, that sounds good. I would love a fluffernutter, right this minute.

I haven't had a fluffernutter in 8 years. There's really no point in pretending it tastes the same on gluten-free bread. I don't eat Spam and grape jelly sandwiches anymore either, for the same reason.

(I'd love to claim I never eat them because I've actually learned something about nutrition and prefer chicken and leafy greens, but really it's about the bread.)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when I was in public elementary school, I ate jelly sandwiches on white bread washed down with chocolate milk. Some of my very lucky friends got Hostess cupcakes. The healthiest thing I saw any off my friends eat was a cheese sandwich on white. Despite eating absolute junk, we didn't have these behavior problems. If you misbehaved, you were sent to the principal's office. If you got sent there, your parents would know and would punish you much worse than that school did. So, while I agree that it is good for people to eat healthier, I think it is a stretch to say that every child who eats junk will be climbing the walls. The problem is not the food, it's the lack of discipline. That is a much harder problem to fix. Changing the food is easier.

:iagree:

My lunch would have been white bread with one slice of bologna and Miracle Whip, a package of chips, some cookies or Hostess, and a Capri Sun juice. I was a model student, top of my class, and teacher's pet. When the school lunches had a banana in them, I added about 3 bananas to my lunch. Most kids threw them away, and my mom, who was a lunch monitor, would collect them for me.

:iagree:

My lunch would have been white bread with one slice of bologna and Miracle Whip, a package of chips, some cookies or Hostess, and a Capri Sun juice. I was a model student, top of my class, and teacher's pet. When the school lunches had a banana in them, I added about 3 bananas to my lunch. Most kids threw them away, and my mom, who was a lunch monitor, would collect them for me.

Mine would have been pickle loaf and cheese on white bread with fat free mayo (Mom had an obsession with "fat free"), chips, fruit cup (in syrup), and a Twinke or something similar.

The biggest difference I see between now and then is that back then we had recess at least 1-2 times a day, at least til 6th grade. We also had PE several times a week. We walked to all our special classes (PE, art, music, etc). Schools don't offer that now, so kids aren't getting the exercise.

It does seem to be a slightly bigger problem than the school originally claimed.

I felt the same about the memo!

Parents should start a double-edged campaign for better education and more lunch freedom. Let's think of slogans.

"Fewer Nuggets. More Grammar!"

"Punctuation Trumps Potatoes"

"Cheese Slices are Better than Comma Splices"

THIS is wet your pants funny!

The biggest difference I see between now and then is that back then we had recess at least 1-2 times a day, at least til 6th grade. We also had PE several times a week. We walked to all our special classes (PE, art, music, etc). Schools don't offer that now, so kids aren't getting the exercise.

True. We had two 15-minute recesses, a longer playtime after lunch, and PE every day. Not sure how we had time to learn anything.

Back when I was in public elementary school, I ate jelly sandwiches on white bread washed down with chocolate milk. Some of my very lucky friends got Hostess cupcakes. The healthiest thing I saw any off my friends eat was a cheese sandwich on white. Despite eating absolute junk, we didn't have these behavior problems. If you misbehaved, you were sent to the principal's office. If you got sent there, your parents would know and would punish you much worse than that school did. So, while I agree that it is good for people to eat healthier, I think it is a stretch to say that every child who eats junk will be climbing the walls. The problem is not the food, it's the lack of discipline. That is a much harder problem to fix. Changing the food is easier.

Yes, to all of these. My homemade lunch was American cheese product on generic white bread, a Little Debbie snack cake, a bag of generic chips, and a Hi-C box or a Sunny-D (side note: I thought Sunny-D was, in fact, orange juice until I had a baby of my own). I was a well-behaved student. So were my siblings. So were most of my classmates, whether eating crappy homemade lunches or nasty, homogenous cafeteria fare.

The policy isn't a bad one, IMO, if it were being implemented correctly. Obviously, in these two instances the policy was not implemented correctly. It will be interesting to see how the school district addresses this issue moving forward.