Menu

Calling all you 'Yarn junkies'

Where do you get your yarns? Our two big box craft stores are not only rediculously expensive, but sorely lacking in choices. I do really love to feel my yarns before buying, but I am desperate to actually get some to work with that I'm going to resort to buying online.

Any suggestions would be most helpful! :D

Textile Junkie here:tongue_smilie:

Webs has discount yarn. Halcyon Yarn sells a sample box so you can finger stuff. Cascade is a workhorse yarn. You can order it anywhere.

There are lots of great online sources. Ravelry is a great place to buy yarn too.

If you don't live near an independent yarn shop try to hit one while traveling and then browse for a while and write down all the brands you like the feel and look of.

Buuuut. I quickly found I cannot really afford quality yarn so about 8 years ago I started spinning my own yarns. I joined a guild and buy wool from local shepherdesses. Then I spin and dye my own. If you are truly an addict you might want to consider it...

Great suggestions from pps! I want to second looking on Ravelry. Most yarns will be cheaper if you buy from a person and not a store.

I often do what Susan suggested - I go to a lys and figure out what kind of yarn I want, then go online to Rav and search for it. I can usually find what I want for 30-50% less than buying from a store. OR - I buy some from my lys to test out and see if I really like it and if I do, then I go onto Rav to buy enough for my project.

I also have quite the stash. :) It's what I spend my fun money on. If you want to give some nice yarn a try, I suggest Madelinetosh. Awesome stuff - feels great next to the skin and wears really well - and not too expensive.

eta - a couple more online stores with a good selection of nice yarns - Knit-Purl or Pulling at Strings.

Edited by Mothersweets

Textile Junkie here:tongue_smilie:

Webs has discount yarn. Halcyon Yarn sells a sample box so you can finger stuff. Cascade is a workhorse yarn. You can order it anywhere.

There are lots of great online sources. Ravelry is a great place to buy yarn too.

If you don't live near an independent yarn shop try to hit one while traveling and then browse for a while and write down all the brands you like the feel and look of.

Buuuut. I quickly found I cannot really afford quality yarn so about 8 years ago I started spinning my own yarns. I joined a guild and buy wool from local shepherdesses. Then I spin and dye my own. If you are truly an addict you might want to consider it...

I actually raise wool sheep :D...unfortunately spinning yarn is not what I even remotely have time for at this time. I honestly have waaaaay too many crafts that I spend time on to add another right now (especially with homeschooling two older kids :tongue_smilie:)

Thanks for the sites!

There are people who would buy hand spun wool dyed yarn from small businesses... I know you are busy, but planting a seed for thought!

Yeah, I know...it was a venture I was once thinking of, but it's not going to become a reality for me...I really need more land to raise the amount of sheep I wanted in order to do this and I don't have it. I've had to take on more animals than I'd recently expected due to a couple of friends passing away...those have put a kink in doing some things.

I just want to make pretty things now and do a little traveling :tongue_smilie: with my family. With my best friend passing away, I don't have anyone reliable to handle the farm when we go out of town. So I'm now downsizing.

It's all good though. Many of the girls went to a friend that raises them too. She sheers and spins as well. She promised me some yarn and I can't wait!

I actually raise wool sheep :D...unfortunately spinning yarn is not what I even remotely have time for at this time. I honestly have waaaaay too many crafts that I spend time on to add another right now (especially with homeschooling two older kids :tongue_smilie:)

Thanks for the sites!

If you have your own sheep-

I've had wool custom spun from sheep I sheared. Not my sheep, I got the wool in exchange for shearing help. One of the places I have used is Stonehedge but there are tons of places. If you like the wool from your sheep...

I know what you mean about not having enough time...