Menu

3rd grade ancient history?

Addicted2Coffee

Sonlight looks Core B looks too easy for her. I've never heard of beautiful feet before I googled it. I'm going to have to look at it more, thanks!

Tapestry of grace looks awesome but I think it will require to much of me and is way to expensive. Especially considering I'd only be using it for her.

Any more? :bigear:

Sonlight looks Core B looks too easy for her. I've never heard of beautiful feet before I googled it. I'm going to have to look at it more, thanks!

I did Core B with a third grader and it was awesome. I learned a ton. It's also very easy to add in extra material if she wants to spend more time in certain civilizations. If you look at the reader selections on the SL website, it lists books from the grade 1 readers, but you can choose grade 2 readers.

The read-alouds were what really made this core special for us. They are wonderful selections, and not all tied to ancient history.

I have used both Beautiful Feet and Sonlight. I think Core B, or Core C, which is a one year condensed version of B+C, would be great. I know that BF says it begins at 4th grade, but I think she would probably be fine. I do think she would get more out of SL, just because with BF, she is at the lower end of the suggested range, and with SL, she is right on target. If you think SL is not enough, you can beef it up with audio books or other books from the library. We are planning to begin Core B for 2nd grade. I am looking forward to doing it again. It's been a long time! I actually did it with my older ds when he was in 4th grade. He learned quite a bit, and we enjoyed reading together. HTH!

Don't forget that reading level is not what you are looking for with history or science. Look at the mechanics and content. It is always better to use subject material that is "easy" to read. I refer to it as juvenile nonfiction, and so does SWB. Using books that are not difficult to read for the student, allow the student to grasp the information and "think" about it, or even use apply it. Science and history are not where you teach reading!

Don't run to the preschool section to learn about dinosaurs either. LOL! :D