Menu

MCT grammar

meltf928

If you use MCT Grammar, do you use it independently or do you use the entire program. Would it be weird to use it with IEW? I love everything about MCT, including the vocabulary and poetry, but I feel we need IEW for writing. Would you go ahead and purchase the writing component of MCT and use it as a supplement or as a way to mix things up? Too confusing? BTW, my kids will be 3rd and 5th (with a preschooler and 2nd grader coming up behind them.

If you use MCT Grammar, do you use it independently or do you use the entire program. Would it be weird to use it with IEW? I love everything about MCT, including the vocabulary and poetry, but I feel we need IEW for writing. Would you go ahead and purchase the writing component of MCT and use it as a supplement or as a way to mix things up? Too confusing? BTW, my kids will be 3rd and 5th (with a preschooler and 2nd grader coming up behind them.

Well, I used the whole Island level last year with my 3rd and 1st graders. We loved the writing book, but didn't do any of the writing exercises. This year I am using the Town level, now with 4th and 2nd graders. We are loving (reading) the writing book, but we are using WWE and IEW for our writing exercises. I would definitely recommend getting the whole program even if you are going to supplement with IEW.

You would want to purchase the "writing" books because they are integral to the grammar instruction. Like it (or not), and I do, MCT spreads lesson-learning across different books that come at the same basic topics (in addition to introducing new ones) in different ways. The "writing" books are essential.

What is more optional is the amount of writing one does from the suggested assignments in those books. Most of the material in the writing books is of the "read aloud" type that expands on the grammar lessons and gets children to think about qualities of good writing. The "assignments" are tucked in the back of the TMs.

I have not used IEW so I may misunderstand the "dress-up" method, but if it involves adding in additional adjective and adverbs it would run counter to ideals taught in MCT, which include limiting the use of modifiers whenever possible in favor of using strong, well-chosen nouns and verbs.

Bill

Thank you both, this information is very helpful.

This is the one area that I"m struggling with. We've been homeschooling for 3 years, but we've always used a hybrid school. For various reasons, we will not be returning next year and I am struggling with planning Grammar and Writing.

Maybe it's because we're very playful with language here, but I don't see a problem with combining different resources, even when they disagree. In the end, exposure to many different forms and styles is what will help your child find the way to his/her personal writing style. I also don't believe that using different language resources is necessarily confusing (when approached with style in mind, at least). If you understand grammar, you understand grammar. Yes, people use words in different ways. That is the beauty of it! I like contrast. I could even see having a fun exercise with it. You could take a paper and draw a line down the center. You could express a thought using the IEW dress-ups on the left side and express the same thought using the most succinct and powerful language on the right. Fun!

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I have not used IEW so I may misunderstand the "dress-up" method, but if it involves adding in additional adjective and adverbs it would run counter to ideals taught in MCT, which include limiting the use of modifiers whenever possible in favor of using strong, well-chosen nouns and verbs.

Bill

:iagree: I've always seen the two programs as having opposite goals.

Maybe it's because we're very playful with language here, but I don't see a problem with combining different resources, even when they disagree. In the end, exposure to many different forms and styles is what will help your child find the way to his/her personal writing style. I also don't believe that using different language resources is necessarily confusing (when approached with style in mind, at least). If you understand grammar, you understand grammar. Yes, people use words in different ways. That is the beauty of it! I like contrast. I could even see having a fun exercise with it. You could take a paper and draw a line down the center. You could express a thought using the IEW dress-ups on the left side and express the same thought using the most succinct and powerful language on the right. Fun!

This is an interesting idea. My 10yo would probably find it to be a fun exercise. :001_smile: