Menu

Foodie Question

I'm having a friend over for dinner. (Nobody ever cooks for her and she deserves it.) I want to make it nice, but have minimal stress with cooking so I can relax and enjoy her company. She has vegetarian daughters and a carnivore son, so I've decided to make pasta with two sauces.

The big question: If you had to make ONE noodle to go with both Bolognaise sauce AND Alfredo sauce (with an option for smoked salmon and capers), what noodle would you choose? Think carefully. This is important.

Here's the menu

Appetizer: Fruit and cheese platter

Salad: tossed garden salad

Main: Bolognaise, Alfredo w or w/out salmon and capers, pasta, bread

Dessert: I'm thinking banana splits so the kids can take it over

I can make everything but the Alfredo and noodles the day before. I can do Alfredo early in the day and reheat so I'm down to boiling noodles at crunch time.

Thoughts?

I like the idea of penne. It's a good noodle!

It's less messy, I think, than slurping longer noodles (spaghetti, angel hair) -- I hate eating long noodles in public!

The ridges would also hold the sauces pretty well, particularly the meaty part of the bolognaise.

That it's an open noodle means you'll get yummy bursts of sauce sneaking into some bites, too :)

Don't worry, I've known them for years. They're cheesetarians, so it's OK. No ethical decision, her girls have just never cared for meat. I'm really liking the short noodle ideas and I hadn't thought of it being neater and easier to eat. I think I'll go with farfalle unless I get to the store and spy some short, ridgy piece of perfection I've never seen before :D

Rigatoni, for the ridges to capture the sauce and the bits of meat and fish.

But, I can argue rigatoni for almost any sauce. It's my 2nd favorite shape of pasta. :)

I thought of that, but I almost wish they made it half the length. It's perfect for the meat sauce, but seems like too much for the Alfredo. (not everyone will eat the salmon because they have poor taste. Therefore, I have to separate it and add it to the plates of the smart people.)

Wow, I'm a little TOO invested in these noodles. I love it :-). Thanks for the suggestions and keep 'em comin'.

I am a rotini, mini penne and angel hair girl myself. Even with Alfredo I will use mini penne or angel hair.

Hmmm you have me wanting Alfredo... alas I am out of heavy cream.

Why is Alfredo capitalized? Spaghetti doesn't need to be! :tongue_smilie:

Wait! I didn't know penne came in miniature form!

I think Alfredo might be a proper name, but I pretty much let auto-correct do what it wants.

Glad I could be of help!

BTW, we did farfalle tonight! ;) (sauteed eggplant and sausage into a leftover marinara). I may have to do some salmon tomorrow night based upon this thread though! :)

So, my favorite pasta of all is fusilli. REAL fusilli:

51%2BsrQg%2BwVL.jpg

But, it doesn't go with every sauce. :-(

I am a rotini, mini penne and angel hair girl myself. Even with Alfredo I will use mini penne or angel hair.

Hmmm you have me wanting Alfredo... alas I am out of heavy cream.

Why is Alfredo capitalized? Spaghetti doesn't need to be! :tongue_smilie:

Angel Hair is my favorite, too. I love it with alfredo.

I think shells would be fun, but as you discovered, Barilla has a LOT of fun shapes, even mini (picollini) sizes.