Menu

Sofa cushions keep sliding out. Fix?

DH and I finally got around to replacing a decrepit sofa with a new one. It seemed fine in the store but now that we have it home, I hate it. The main problem is that the lower cushions (the ones you sit on) are not attached and keep sliding out. I could spend all day pushing them back in every time someone gets up.

My old sofa didn't have any loose cushions so I didn't even know that this was something that would be a problem. Argh.

We are stuck with it now so I need the hive advice on possible fixes. Please?!?

Pegasus

DH and I finally got around to replacing a decrepit sofa with a new one. It seemed fine in the store but now that we have it home, I hate it. The main problem is that the lower cushions (the ones you sit on) are not attached and keep sliding out. I could spend all day pushing them back in every time someone gets up.

My old sofa didn't have any loose cushions so I didn't even know that this was something that would be a problem. Argh.

We are stuck with it now so I need the hive advice on possible fixes. Please?!?

Pegasus

Oh dear, I could have written your post. I'm so unhappy with this couch I often sit on the floor instead *sigh*

Do your cushions have anything on the bottom to help hold them on?

Do your cushions have anything on the bottom to help hold them on?

They are reversible so they have the same fabric top and bottom. Nothing special to hold them on.

That grippy shelf liner stuff? Let me find it.

I'm considering trying this. Has anyone used it. Does it work for sofa cushions?

heavy duty Velcro strips :)

I may resort to this, although it would mean that the cushions are no longer reversible. Not a bad thing, as maybe I could replace it sooner if it gets all stained and torn up. Hmmm. . . :glare:

There is rubbery stuff that you can get to put under throw rugs. We used it for our futon which used to slide. It's like a rubber net-like weave. You could still turn your cushions over because you wouldn't have to sew anything to it, just put a hunk of this stuff under the cushions.

I found a photo of it: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Ultra-Non-slip-Rug-Pad-5-x-8/3962803/product.html

Edited by Laurie4b1

No. Put the Velcro on the backside of the cushion, not underneath it.

That's what I did.

:)

That makes sense. Don't know why I didn't think of that. :001_huh:

There is rubbery stuff that you can get to put under throw rugs. We used it for our futon which used to slide. It's like a rubber net-like weave. You could still turn your cushions over because you wouldn't have to sew anything to it.

Definitely worth a try before I start sewing on velcro!

Pegasus

My mom has a couch that has a little clasp on the seat that connects to the couch.

You could do this basically by sewing a piece of fabric on the seat and on the couch with a ring on one and a clip on the other.

Sounds like a lot of work though.

Now this sounds cool and would hold better than velcro. :grouphug:

My mom has a couch that has a little clasp on the seat that connects to the couch.

You could do this basically by sewing a piece of fabric on the seat and on the couch with a ring on one and a clip on the other.

Careful. We tried that on a used sofa and the constant "pull" in one spot put a hole there in a short amount of time.

You don't have to sew the Velcro. I bought some double sided sticky strips and cut them to the size I wanted. Less than 5 minutes of my time and they have held up for about 6 months so far. I might have sewn simple anchor stitches at middle and ends if they hadn't stuck, but they have well enough so far. I wouodnt go to the trouble to sew the entire strip in place.

Ugh! We had a couch like that. We had it for 14 years but we were fortunate since the cushions didn't start sliding off until after 11 years. Still, I had to deal with them for 3 years before I finally had it with the couch and insisted we get a new one. This was right before we had our baby as I was insistent that I would not be able to cope with PP hormones & nursing on that couch. ;)

It was in great shape, looked like new and the cushions were still soft and comfortable, but I could not get them to stay on. :glare: Drove me insane.

I have no advice other than to get rid of the couch. I've never been happier since I did. :D

Careful. We tried that on a used sofa and the constant "pull" in one spot put a hole there in a short amount of time.

What if you put a large piece of fabric into the entire end of the cushion, the same size as the end of the cushion and put the hooks on the fabric, then opened one end of the cushion and slid the fabric into the cushion and sewed it back

Did that make sense to anyone?

Lara

What if you put a large piece of fabric into the entire end of the cushion, the same size as the end of the cushion and put the hooks on the fabric, then opened one end of the cushion and slid the fabric into the cushion and sewed it back

Did that make sense to anyone?

Lara

Yes! That would work much better than just one or two locations. Lot more sewing tho. Guess it depends on how much the OP likes the sofa. (or dislikes sewing!;))

On a brand new sofa? I'd try Velcro than sewing the length like Lara describes.

• 1 year later...
Guest tweaton

I tried the Velcro but it didn't work. Then I thought, if I could have something that goes arround the front of the cushion and holds it in place that would work. But I too am worried that the constant stress on the cushion would damage it, so I thought of having something that would flex slightly; just enough to relieve the stress. I did a search on the words, "stop cushions sliding off sofa" and I found this link. I also found one called "Keeping Couch Cushions From Sliding" on "thriftyfun.com". Theres a picture of a sofa with a curtain rod held in front of the cushions by ropes on either end. Not verry asthetic but I think he's got the general idea. Theres another reply to this thread further down in the original post that suggests using a piece of material arround the front of the cushion rather than attaching it to the sides. Then there's another suggestion to attach rings to the ends of the material. By combining all of these ideas I think I have a good working design now. I just need to figure out what to use to get the little bit of give in the sides of the cushions, possibly something like a couple of bungy cords.

Anyway, Thank you all for your ideas.

I bought a couch cover that was an all-in-one. So my cushions didn't come out, but I had to retuck the couch cover every day.  :banghead: Put up with that for about five years.

I have a new couch cover now & the cover for the cushions is separate than the rest of the couch's cover. The cushions stay on -- if the kids don't decide to move them out to snuggle between them & the back of the couch.  :toetap05:   :boxing_smiley: 

But it is now a child-training issue, not a couch-cushion-falling-out-issue.

• 5 months later...
Guest Amanda H

We like and continue to use the non-slip mats because they don't require any alteration to the couch, no tape or adhesive that will become a stain magnet.  We used the non-slip rug mats for a while, but discovered that they would bunch up under our cushions, losing their effectiveness, until we spread them back out again, which we had to do once or twice a week.  Taping the edges down, again, had the potential to stain our couch.  So we added a stiff border around the edge to keep them from bunching and this solved the problem.  It's a common enough problem that we decided to turn it into a product and sell them at CushionKeeper.com.   One thing we learned while trying to develop the product was that the surface friction (grippiness, or tac) of common drawer liners and rug underlays varies widely.  We did friction testing.  The rug underlays have higher friction than drawer liners, this is because of the anti-microbial additives in drawer liners (since they have the potential to come in contact with eating utensils).  The additives affect the PVC foam surface.  The rug underlay's also vary depending on the foam pattern, thickness and additives.  The material that is the most consistent between manufacturers and has the highest friction (best grip) is natural rubber.  So that is what we went with in the Cushion Keeper.