Menu

Do any of you wear tanks with built-in support for workouts?

I'm venturing into yoga.

For cardio, I wear one of my big fat ugly t-shirts with stretchy capris. For yoga, however, it bugs me when the neckline of my shirt gets caught on my chin.

What brand do you like? I'd like to order online, if possible, to minimize the pain of shopping for something this size. :glare: I'm finding it a little difficult to tell specifics. I mean "shelf bra" could mean absolutely no support unless it's strong fabric compression, right?

I don't need support for high impact -- just enough for walking on the treadmill or stretching.

tia

Lots of women wear two bras, or a bra + a support tank, for high impact workouts. It depends entirely on the size of your bOOks, lol.

I like the looks of the fitted tanks, and I'd like them for yoga just b/c they'd be snug enough not to flop down on my face (exposing my tummy) when I am doing a shoulder stand. As it is, I have just used snug cotton tanks (cheapies designed as undershirts) on top of a good sports bra. If I found a tank I liked (I am in the market, too) with built in shelf bra, I'd wear it on top of my sports bra, not in place of it.

My bOOks are moderate size (D), but I still can't imagine counting on a built in shelf bra for much of anything. Then again, I have a friend who claims she doesn't even need ANY bra for anything, including running! (A size bOOKs). So, I guess it comes down to your comfort and your preferences.

(Don't forget the modesty issue of having solid layers when you are sweating. Sometimes the cycles of cold/heat/sweat in yoga or any other sweaty activity can make your nipples hard, which could be embarassing if the shelf bra is relatively thin material.)

I do. And I had to try on quite a few to find one that was comfortable AND supportive. The one I ended up with is a Champion brand with a racer-back. If I am running on the treadmill, I put on a sports bra underneath, but if I am just walking or doing weights, it has enough support alone (C cup here). I often put a tshirt or another tank over it because the gym is cold here.

I wear a support tank layered over a sports bra. Under Armour makes a higher-neck tank with wide straps that is more modest than most sports tanks (if that is important to you).

Wider straps as in wide-enough-to-cover-the-sports-bra-straps?

I'm one of those people who is bothered by peeking bra straps. Maybe I should invest in all black sports bras and tanks so it wouldn't be as noticeable.

Thanks for the information . . . I'm off to google. :D

Lots of women wear two bras, or a bra + a support tank, for high impact workouts. It depends entirely on the size of your bOOks, lol.

I like the looks of the fitted tanks, and I'd like them for yoga just b/c they'd be snug enough not to flop down on my face (exposing my tummy) when I am doing a shoulder stand. As it is, I have just used snug cotton tanks (cheapies designed as undershirts) on top of a good sports bra. If I found a tank I liked (I am in the market, too) with built in shelf bra, I'd wear it on top of my sports bra, not in place of it.

My bOOks are moderate size (D), but I still can't imagine counting on a built in shelf bra for much of anything. Then again, I have a friend who claims she doesn't even need ANY bra for anything, including running! (A size bOOKs). So, I guess it comes down to your comfort and your preferences.

(Don't forget the modesty issue of having solid layers when you are sweating. Sometimes the cycles of cold/heat/sweat in yoga or any other sweaty activity can make your nipples hard, which could be embarassing if the shelf bra is relatively thin material.)

Thanks for the details I hadn't considered. I'm a moderate C but hopefully be shrinking a little in the future. It was pregnancy/nursing and eventual weight gain that bumped me up into that range. The pregnancy/nursing season is over, and I can't use is as an excuse for the weight gain any more!

Sigh. This makes me think I'll have to go try them on. Which makes me think I'll just put up with the floppy T-shirt necklines until I lose some weight. :glare:

I would still get workout tops. They are the best! I buy them without built-in support and use a sports bra. I have no problems when I run and I'm a size D. I find that I can continue to wear the workout tops long after I've shrunk in size since they are so form-fitting.

Wider straps as in wide-enough-to-cover-the-sports-bra-straps?

I'm one of those people who is bothered by peeking bra straps. Maybe I should invest in all black sports bras and tanks so it wouldn't be as noticeable.

Thanks for the information . . . I'm off to google. :D

Yes, the straps are several inches wide and more than cover the bra straps.