Menu

Handwriting spacing help for ds14

I'm guilty of this, too. It's why this whole internet/keyboard thing has been a beautiful thing (for me)!

I think quickly; I write the same way, willing my hand to keep up with my thoughts. When I 'pause' in my head, it's noticeable in my writing. When I'm on a roll, it also shows.

Basically I have to write everything twice. I write once to get my info/notes/thoughts onto paper, then I re-write it neatly paying careful attention to spacing. It's a PITB, but it's something I've 'had' to do since I was a kid.

Other than that, I have no other suggestions :( but maybe this bump back to the front page will find someone who does.

Actually, having him rewrite handwritten things is a good idea. Most papers etc. for school are typed anyway. If it's a grocery list for himself then of course it doesn't matter, but if it is going to be on a form to hand in or some other handwritten item, then I think I'll have him do a rough draft to get the information down and then rewrite it with the spaces. Thank you.:001_smile:

This might seem silly, but it worked when I was in 1st grade. My teacher gave us each a wooden popscicle stick to use to test the spacing on our words. That would probably be too wide for 14-year-old writing, but you could find something thinner and require that he use it every time he writes. After a short time of using this I bet he would get in the habit of spacing correctly.

ETA: I one had a 7th grade student who capitalized and punctuated her sentences erratically and always used the excuse that she just forgot. Having to recopy one essay test broke her of that.

Edited by AndyJoy