Menu

Barking Cough

My neighbor's son just went through this. He came over to play and seemed fine but I noticed he had a barking cough. I wondered if he was sick, but I knew neighbor wouldn't let him play if he was sick. Well the next day he was really sick with a nasty cold and had to miss school for 2 or 3 days.

I expect your ds is going to get sicker and this is the first sign.

:grouphug:

It does sound like a croupy cough. Coughing in children, especially after a mild upper respiratory infection can last for weeks and even longer. My DD7 often will have coughs all winter, and the doctor tells me it is normal.

Pertussis is also called whooping cough, and it is characterized by coughing fits and then with a sharp intake of breath it sounds like a loud "whoop."

Pertussis is also called whooping cough, and it is characterized by coughing fits and then with a sharp intake of breath it sounds like a loud "whoop."

The tricky part is that is doesn't always present with a whoop but just as a long-lasting cough. It does start with cold-like symptoms though for a week or two.

I don't know where you are, or if you vax, but our state is having pertussis like mad.

And with WC it doesn't necessarily matter what your vaccination status is.

Stayed home with a sad boy today. He wasn't coughing as bad but I figured as soon as he got hot he would start back up. Dh and other kiddo went (they are coaches).

The other day I was thinking how we had all been lucky not to have the cough. Ds and myself usually get it the worst. Well he has it and guess who else has been coughing her head off today. :glare:

The tricky part is that is doesn't always present with a whoop but just as a long-lasting cough. It does start with cold-like symptoms though for a week or two.

Particularly in non-infants.

I think there is about a 6 day incubation, a rather typical cold for a few days, and then this new cough. Sounds like you are going to cough up a huge wad, but nothing comes up. I've had adults with cough-syncope: cough so hard they faint for 10 seconds.