Menu

Classical Conversations Foundations, pros and cons?

k3bzr18

Hello,

I am looking into the Classical Conversations classes for my almost 6 yr old. My youngest will be 4 in April and I am not sure its too much for her? Could you all please tell me your experiences, pro and cons? work load, etc? things that may not be obvious from reading the website?

Thank you!

Lynn :grouphug:

Edited by k3bzr18

My kids are not in CC, but we did go to an open house last week to check them out. I'm conflicted in how I feel about it.

For the first part of class the kids reviewed their memory work, which were facts/verses from different subjects. For instance, there was a history fact, a grammar fact, a Bible verse, a Latin translation, a science fact, etc... After review they began to work on a new set of memory work that was to be added to the previously memorized work.

While I thought it was great that they were memorizing so much, I wasn't sure how logical it was to be memorizing each of these facts independent from any explanation from the tutor. When I asked the tutor why no explanation, she said there was no time for explanations, and that her job was just to help the kids learn to memorize the facts. It was the parents job at home to explain everything. This sounded fine to me except that the facts being memorized don't always line up with is being studied at home. When I asked the director about it she said that her kids have memorized many facts over the years that they didn't understand until they finally studied the topic in depth in their home and it was at that point that the light bulb went off and the kids understood.

After memory work was done there was a short time (5-10 minutes) for a snack brought from home and then onto a short science experiment. The potential for the science experiment was there, but I felt the tutor lost an important opportunity to make the most of it. They were testing different items of food for the presence of starch by dropping iodine onto each thing. They had bread, crackers, apple, cheese, and sugar. There was no explanation of why they were doing this, what did it mean, etc... A missed opportunity IMO. They're alloted 30 minutes to do the experiment but didn't come close to utilizing the time in a beneficial way.

There was a 30 minute period for art in which the tutor told the kids about an artist who used dots to create his pictures, showed them a comic strip with magnifying glass to show another example of that kind of art and briefly showed them a book about the artist. Then they used big pieces of paper off a roll to create a picture using dot paints. Not a great way to mimic what the original artist was trying to create but a simple enough project for a group I suppose. I wasn't impressed and thought it was another missed opportunity.

The final 30 minutes I loved. The kids had all been working on a longer piece of memory work that they had picked out themselves and practiced reciting it in front of each other and then were critiqued by the tutor and other students. I thought this was the best part of the class. The tutor made sure to give constructive criticism that was encouraging and helpful.

Overall, I don't know if I think it's worth the money or not. There were a lot of things that weren't done well but maybe with a different tutor could've been better. I was impressed with the kids in the class though, so they must be doing something right. I don't know if I've helped or not, but those were my observations for better or worse. Hope it helps!

I liked the program (still do) but each location varies greatly. I was very unhappy with my particular location. Unfortunately it was my fault for not doing my homework. We had originally signed up at a location about 30 minutes from us, but a few months before the start date a new one was started about 5 min away so we switched our registration. I met the director, but did not meet the tutor. Looking back, I wish I would have stuck with a location that allowed me to visit a class or two.

Our tutor was always very unprepared. She'd come to class without any of her needed supplies and she would stand at the front of the room while the parents passed stuff out, cleaned up, and offered help to the students. She also had didn't take the time to learn correct pronunciations, so the kids would often memorize things incorrectly. It ended up being 3 hours of just sitting for my DD, which was way too much at 4. She could handle the memorization but the idea of sitting and listening to a teacher for 3 hours straight was just too much. Add the fact that my DS hated the nursery and ended up just sitting in a corner waiting for me, and I just realized it wasn't a good fit for any of us. I don';t say this to say CC isn't a good option, but rather to make the point that the tutors and location will make a big difference in your experience. Ask if you can visit a class with your specific tutor so you can see if your teaching style meshes with hers. Check out the nursery if you have younger kids and see if it works for them. Also check their nursery rotation. We only had one nursery worker, so the moms ended up having to help in the nursery every week, which meant I missed a big chunk of class everytime. I'd also try and get to know some of the families. One of the main reasons we joined was for the accountability and relationships. The accountability wasnt there because we never actually reviewed material in class (just introduced new stuff) and we never really clicked with any of the families. I wish I had sat down and figured out what I wanted to get out of the experience and had the opportunity to figure out if it was going to provide what we were looking for. In my situation, it ended up being a costly mistake, but I was ready to take the loss since it wasn't working for any of us.

We are doing the CC work at home and it works really well for us. We focus on history, geography, science, math and the timeline. We spend 2-3 works exploring the topics with living books rather than just introducing the material and moving to the next thing. Taking the time to investigate the information has really helped with her memorization, but it has also given her some context. My DD is one non stop question, so for her memorizing a single fact didnt make sense at all. Sometimes all it takes is reading a book or two about it and that helps her understand it on a deeper level or at least in relation to other events and facts.

This is our third year. I have kids who are too young for Essentials, so we are in Foundations only.

Some Pros:

1. That external factor helps motivate me and the kids to get the memory work done. I don't know if we would be so diligent without the outside accountability.

2. I believe that the brain-training aspect is hugely beneficial. The more they are memorizing, the easier it is for them to memorize.

3. There is a benefit to learning an isolated fact in CC, then having the light-bulb come on later when that information is applied in learning multiplication, history, grammar etc as part of our normal homeschool. When they make that connection, you can see it in their faces.

4. We all benefit from the esprit de corps that comes from working with a group of people with common goals who are facing common challenges. We all love our CC 'family'.

5. It is only a 24-week program, which leaves a lot of time for the rest of the year to do your own thing (such as memorizing poetry).

Some Cons:

1. Taking a day away from our normal school sometimes feels like a huge disruption.

2. Some days, you have to take it on faith that the time spent will pay off in the long run and that you're not wasting your time and money.

3. Having a building full of mama bears and their kids is not always pleasant.

4. It is somewhat expensive.

5. It's hard to explain the concept to your own parents. :tongue_smilie:

We are doing CC this year - my kids are kindergartners. The tutor introduces the memory work. She does not give ANY background info.

In the beginning, I found that my kids were bored and annoyed b/c to them it was just gobbeldy-gook they were memorizing. Eventually, I figured out that to get something out of it, I needed to do a readaloud on each topic BEFORE the class. After that, my kids took off! The words meant something, and thus were fun to learn. It's the same with the science experiment & the art project. They are all listed in the guide, and my kids enjoy it a lot more with some background. It really is NOT hard at all - I'm adding one short readaloud per topic each week.

I will say that having been through a year, I probably wouldn't do it for academic reasons before your oldest is maybe 1st grade-ish.

I will agree with the fact that your experience will totally depend on the director and tutors. I also wouldn't necessary recommend starting CC when the oldest child is only 4 or 5.

In our experience, we have an INCREDIBLE director and have had extraordinary good luck with tutors. They make things interesting for the students. They give short explanations, context, or background info when possible. The students move around a lot. Everyone is well-prepared and organized.

We have two wonderful young ladies watching the younger children in the nursery on site ($5 for the whole morning). My 1 yo has done really well in there. I think it is a valuable experience for her since she is otherwise with me or her daddy all. the. time. and she only has big brothers.

The boys have done well with the memory work, even the 4/5 year old. He enjoys knowing and practicing the same information as his older brothers. They don't seem to mind if they don't have much context at the time. I will tell you from repeated experience that they get SO. EXCITED. when a topic comes up later (even months or a year later) in reading, on a documentary, or in conversation. They often burst into song at the slightest hint of words such as Waterloo, Allies, thermodynamics, or Davy Crockett. :D

We're just finishing up our first year and won't be returning next year.

The behavior of some of the kids at our CC is atrocious. Outside of class, there have been problems with kids running down the hall kicking doors and throwing rocks at the buildings and cars. In class, kids are loud and unruly, and they don't settle down when corrected by an adult.

The memory work comes at such a fast pace that there is not time to keep up with learning about it at home unless you make CC the center of your curriculum at home. That's what some CC families do.

The tutors are homeschool moms, and the quality varies. My dd's tutor plans ahead and comes to class prepared with visual aids and games, but she really doesn't know any more about the topics than what is presented in the CC materials. As a result, she has given incorrect information in class several times. For ex, she gave incorrect postal abbreviations for some states when the kids were working on maps, and she said that H2O is 1 part hydrogen and 2 parts oxygen. Sometimes I have to speak up and correct her because I just can't stand for all the kids to go home with the wrong information. Another ex was the motion for the timeline card for the Monroe Doctrine - a shooing away motion. One of the kids asked why that was the motion, and the tutor said several tutors asked that question in the tutor meeting and no-one knew. Yet just weeks earlier, they memorized the history card for the Monroe Doctrine which talks about warning European countries not to try to colonize the Americas. I was disappointed that none of the tutors could make that connection!

Last, I think CC is way overpriced. Before CC, my dd attended a tutorial program that is a bit cheaper, uses certified (or at least well-qualified in their field) teachers, meets higher academic and behavior standards, and doesn't require parents to be in class during class. After spending a ton of money on supplies for CC this year, they are revising the Foundations manual and timeline cards. CC just feels like an unending stream of money, and I won't even be able to sell my old supplies for a decent price because they keep changing everything. The CC forums are not even included in the fees - that costs extra, too. I don't mind spending a good bit of money on homeschooling, but I don't feel like CC is a good value for the money we've spent.

Edited by LizzyBee

I echo Heidi's sentiments as well. We did it half a year when my oldest was 5 and I didn't think it was worth it at the time. We went back this year b/c I never did the work at home as I had planned. My kids love it and I have been soooo much more consistent with our school days b/c of it. The lack of context has been no problem (and varies tutor by tutor and by age of the students depending on how much is appropriate). I could go on and on about the wonderful benefits we've seen this year and I wish I had never left (and no I am not a tutor, either, though one day I could see myself teaching Essentials). We are moving to NC next year and I'll have to see what I think when I get there about that particular location, but up here in Northern VA I have loved it and there is a reason why CC campuses continue to grow by leaps and bounds.......

One more thing. In my house my kids have actually become more interested in learning about things they've already memorized than vice versa.....

CC is a great program, but not a great fit for every family. I wrote some extensive posts on in on my blog. We attended for three years, one of which I was a tutor in my son's class. It was a great experience, but we have since moved on. I lay out the pros and cons in the blog posts. There are several, so you can look in the sidebar and they are clearly marked.

It looks like Heidi has had great success with it, though I agree that I would not necessarily start with my oldest at 5.

Some Pros:

1. That external factor helps motivate me and the kids to get the memory work done. I don't know if we would be so diligent without the outside accountability.

2. I believe that the brain-training aspect is hugely beneficial. The more they are memorizing, the easier it is for them to memorize.

3. There is a benefit to learning an isolated fact in CC, then having the light-bulb come on later when that information is applied in learning multiplication, history, grammar etc as part of our normal homeschool. When they make that connection, you can see it in their faces.

4. We all benefit from the esprit de corps that comes from working with a group of people with common goals who are facing common challenges. We all love our CC 'family'.

5. It is only a 24-week program, which leaves a lot of time for the rest of the year to do your own thing (such as memorizing poetry).

Some Cons:

1. Taking a day away from our normal school sometimes feels like a huge disruption.

2. Some days, you have to take it on faith that the time spent will pay off in the long run and that you're not wasting your time and money.

3. Having a building full of mama bears and their kids is not always pleasant.

4. It is somewhat expensive.

5. It's hard to explain the concept to your own parents. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

I'd like to add that we've only done it one year. My youngest two love it and look forward to it each week. My four year old was just not ready despite the fact that she loves it. She has way too much energy for that type of focused work and she has a GREAT tutor. We won't be returning because I can do the memory work at home and the 1 day away was just too much for our family (I was scrambling a lot to figure out how to get care for my oldest with special needs). We will continue the memory work somewhat because memorization really does help grow your brain. If you need the accountability for memory work, it may be worthwhile for you.

A thing to consider is that the official rules with CC is that if the 4 year old is on campus, they have to be enrolled. Some directors will let that slide a bit though.

Beth

I'd like to add that we've only done it one year. My youngest two love it and look forward to it each week. My four year old was just not ready despite the fact that she loves it. She has way too much energy for that type of focused work and she has a GREAT tutor. We won't be returning because I can do the memory work at home and the 1 day away was just too much for our family (I was scrambling a lot to figure out how to get care for my oldest with special needs). We will continue the memory work somewhat because memorization really does help grow your brain. If you need the accountability for memory work, it may be worthwhile for you.

A thing to consider is that the official rules with CC is that if the 4 year old is on campus, they have to be enrolled. Some directors will let that slide a bit though.

Beth

:iagree: and I definitely would not enroll a 4yo.

I agree that a 4-year-old would have a tough time enrolled at CC. My DD began in the middle of the year last year, when she was about to turn 6, and sometimes it's a little much for her. She does love it, though and has benefitted from the exposure.

We are finishing our second year in CC and I have tweaked a few things. You really need to make CC a priority because it only meets for 24 weeks. We didn't make review time at home enough of a priority this year, and are now playing catchup in time for Memory Master. Next year I plan to spend at least an hour a day reviewing and delving into each piece of information. Then, we can move on to the fun stuff like Winterpromise History and Elemental Science and all the other stuff we do (which dooesn't line up with CC but they love to do).

This is our second year in CC, and I have tutored both years as well.

Pros: The kids are able to memorize a great deal of info. in one year, and they connect it easily when they hear it other places (we did not do much memory work prior to CC).

My kids love having friends they actually get to talk to their friends rather than just be in the same room like other programs.

We have a sense of community much like a school, which is something my dd loves.

Cons: We basically give up a whole day of work at home to attend.

We have had great experiences both years with friends and teachers, and that has made the experience wonderful for us.

As for your 4 yr old I think it depends on the child. I have taught the 4 and 5 yr olds for two years now, and some 4 yr olds do very well with the program while other 4 yr olds cannot sit still and focus for even a minute. If your 4 yr old is able to follow directions without a lot of redirection, then the experience will likely be good, but if not then it might be a waste of money.

I am so grateful for all your input! I am looking for a base we can build on during the week and of course, that may change, BUT that is one thing I have learned in the short time we have been homeschooling, nothing fits perfectly. So many things have to be tweeked to fit our hs family, cirriculum, everything. There is not a class in my area so we are in conversations about starting one. I have also located the other posts about CC.

Thank you!:grouphug:

You really need to visit your location. Ours is great. The community is very much a family and our nursery is very well organized and the 2 and 3 year olds even get a letter of the week curriculum at no extra cost (well, aside from the very inexpensive nursery fee) while the older kids are in their classes.

My DD is 4. She enjoys it. Her tutor is very engaging and has them doing various activities. The tutor is only meant to facilitate and show parents ways of presenting the information at home the rest of the week. She isn't meant to be giving background info. If you are looking for a program that teaches this is not the program you are looking for. That's the parents' job throughout the week. We read a lot of books on the science and history topics throughout the week. You have to do that or the info is completely out of context. Depending on the topic of the week, a week is usually enough time for my 4 yr old. I don't see how a week on each topic will be enough later though. We tend to also roll back and revisit topics if I find a good book at the library or if DD asks (which often is the case). I like what on PP said about reading a read aloud BEFORE the class.

As for those who said it is too much for a 4 year old, it really just depends on your 4 year old. My 4 year old does well.

It is a lot of memorization, but for our 4 year old, we don't force the issue. We hear the memory work every day and we see that as exposure. She will rotate through each cycle 3 or 4 times, so she will hear it all again and we will focus more on memorization when she is a bit older. There is no pressure to do Memory Master (when they memorize everything and recite it to the director) at such an early age in our CC community.

Pros:

1. the memory work

2. the friendships and sense of community with others who are studying similar things (but perhaps you have that from another group or from friends you already have)

3. it's only 24 weeks

4. it's only 1 morning a week

5. it's relatively inexpensive in comparison with other things

Cons

1. quality varies depending on the location and group

2. it costs money

3. the memory work sometimes feels extremely out of context and/or hard to find age appropriate material to enhance the learning (as with things like WW1, WW2, and NATO for a 4 year old)

4. it is hard to line up their 3 year cycle with other existing curriculum like SL, HOD, MFW etc.

5. Even one morning out of the house a week can feel disruptive

Julie

We plan on starting CC in the fall. DS will be starting as K4. We observed the 4/5 y/o class last week. The tutor came prepared, was engaging for that age group, and kept them interested for the entire morning. They all participated well for the timeline cards and motions, did a short game for learning the formula for the circumference of a circle, & latin translation. They left the classroom for science and art, which broke up the time well. The show and tell time was precious. We had to leave early, so we didn't get to stay to hear the kids review what they had learned that AM. I think it's all in what you expect out of the program, and what you plan to do with it at home. If you feel you will incorporate the timeline and history statements into what you teach at home, it will definitely prove worth the time. The memorizing of facts seems invaluable at this age, when kids seem to be able to soak up so much.

We're doing C.C. this year, and my oldest turned 5 in October. We love it, but I really hate the cost. Seriously, the cost really turns me off. We're going to do it again next year, and I'll re-evaluate how I feel about it. I love the concept and the philosophy behind it. Young children are like sponges and they memorize things so easily. So it makes sense to take advantage of that and make them memorize things that aren't usually taught until middle or high school. And yes, it is just memorization and there is very little understanding. If we wait until they are in high school to teach the Periodic Table, it will be a totally new concept and it will be intimidating. But if they have already been introduced to it, and have memorized certain elements and their atomic numbers, it'll be a lot easier to go into more detail.

My daughter has memorized a lot from C.C. So don't underestimate a 5 year old. We don't even do C.C. everyday. Shoot! Some weeks we only do one day of memory work. But, we have the CD in the car and we listen to it over and over again. So even the weeks where we kind of slacked off are being reinforced.

Back to the price. It ends up costing me $500, plus $100 for my youngest to be in the nursery. So that's $600 just so we can attend. That's not including the books and timeline cards. Which, I'm really upset that after I spent $100 on the Veritas Press timeline cards and then laminated each one, that they are replacing them. Well, my feelings are actually bittersweet b/c I am excited about the new C.C. timeline cards. Now that there's not a copyright issue, songs and motions for the timeline cards can now be shared. But, had I known that they were going to replace them, I wouldn't have bought the current cards. They are not making people buy the new manual if they have the old manual, thank God! Anyway, so after timeline cards, we're up to almost $700. Then I need to buy the rest of my curriculum. My homeschooling cost easily reaches $1,000!!! I hate that! I love C.C. but I hate how much it's costing me! I don't want to quit, but I'm not rich! Just thinking about how much homeschooling's going to cost once my youngest begins...ugh!

Edited by amselby81

You really need to visit your location. Ours is great. The community is very much a family and our nursery is very well organized and the 2 and 3 year olds even get a letter of the week curriculum at no extra cost (well, aside from the very inexpensive nursery fee) while the older kids are in their classes.

My DD is 4. She enjoys it. Her tutor is very engaging and has them doing various activities. The tutor is only meant to facilitate and show parents ways of presenting the information at home the rest of the week. She isn't meant to be giving background info. If you are looking for a program that teaches this is not the program you are looking for. That's the parents' job throughout the week. We read a lot of books on the science and history topics throughout the week. You have to do that or the info is completely out of context. Depending on the topic of the week, a week is usually enough time for my 4 yr old. I don't see how a week on each topic will be enough later though. We tend to also roll back and revisit topics if I find a good book at the library or if DD asks (which often is the case). I like what on PP said about reading a read aloud BEFORE the class.

As for those who said it is too much for a 4 year old, it really just depends on your 4 year old. My 4 year old does well.

It is a lot of memorization, but for our 4 year old, we don't force the issue. We hear the memory work every day and we see that as exposure. She will rotate through each cycle 3 or 4 times, so she will hear it all again and we will focus more on memorization when she is a bit older. There is no pressure to do Memory Master (when they memorize everything and recite it to the director) at such an early age in our CC community.

Pros:

1. the memory work

2. the friendships and sense of community with others who are studying similar things (but perhaps you have that from another group or from friends you already have)

3. it's only 24 weeks

4. it's only 1 morning a week

5. it's relatively inexpensive in comparison with other things

Cons

1. quality varies depending on the location and group

2. it costs money

3. the memory work sometimes feels extremely out of context and/or hard to find age appropriate material to enhance the learning (as with things like WW1, WW2, and NATO for a 4 year old)

4. it is hard to line up their 3 year cycle with other existing curriculum like SL, HOD, MFW etc.

5. Even one morning out of the house a week can feel disruptive

Julie

My just turned 4 yr old is doing amazing! Our group is wonderful. Everything she said about the tutor is true too. She presents the info and I bring him home to re- enforce the info.

I have paid for other coops that had no standards. In the end the few extra dollars are FAR more worth having a program that I know is fun, easy, doable yet rigorous.

DS asks to go to CC almost daily. He counts down the days. We too have a preschool program and a nursery. I think it makes all the difference for the moms and students.

I say go for it. It is the best program we have come across.

Dd7 had an opportunity to rejoin an orchestra class which meets at the same time as CC. We are not finishing the year or rejoining.

Dds also want to focus more on other subjects (math, science, music). I am taking memory work out of our weekly schedule and leaning towards a STEM focus here.

Our CC community is wonderful! It works well for many families.

HTH!

Much has been summed up already. We found adding memory work to our overall plan of homeschooling to be a welcome addition (thanks, Leigh Borteins and CC). That being said, after starting and directing a program, we are not part of CC anymore.

I do think very young kids can certainly benefit from CC- my now 9 yo certainly did. She knows how to memorize, has amazing amounts of info memorized and is a very auditory learner. But it's a bit one-sided- there is so much more to learning than just memorizing (many times out of context) pieces of info.

I think it really depends on what your focus is, where you are going. And, like others have said, it really depends on the community. When my (now 9dd, then 4 yo) was in CC we had a Tutor for that age group that was phenomenol. Very age appropriate. I'd interview the tutor and see how much experience they have, etc.

They are not making people buy the new manual if they have the old manual, thank God!

No, they aren't making people buy their new manual, but you will have to "purchase" the new timeline somehow through C3, the new cards, or the memory work CD. That is not included in the free updates.

Beth

There was a 30 minute period for art in which the tutor told the kids about an artist who used dots to create his pictures, showed them a comic strip with magnifying glass to show another example of that kind of art and briefly showed them a book about the artist. Then they used big pieces of paper off a roll to create a picture using dot paints. Not a great way to mimic what the original artist was trying to create but a simple enough project for a group I suppose. I wasn't impressed and thought it was another missed opportunity.

I'm a CC Foundations director and I can tell you that the art period you saw is one of my least favorites of all the art projects we do. Very, very, difficult project to pull together and do during the allotted time. Three of my tutors managed to pull it off and two of them didn't. We try to look at the art time as one of exposure and practicing different techniques. It's not necessarily a time to come away with an amazing finished project.

No, they aren't making people buy their new manual, but you will have to "purchase" the new timeline somehow through C3, the new cards, or the memory work CD. That is not included in the free updates.

Beth

However, you could bypass buying the Timeline cards (unless you are a tutor) if you have the audio CD as they will have a song for it. This is what I plan to do. I will use my Veritas cards as a timeline in the classroom for reference purposes.