Menu

Cost of TOG ???

buttercup

There was another post this week on this topic and people responded that books alone cost $100 up to over $1000 depending on how many you actually buy. We're on the low end because we have a great library. The curriculum cost much more than the books for us. Others who don't have a good library or who want the convenience of pulling the book from the shelf at any point, must pay (and that many books will not be cheap).

Thanks!:001_smile:

I wasn't sure if it was close to the price of Sonlight or more. I guess it all depends on my library. We have a pretty decent library system here, although not the best. I guess I'd have to check into whether our library carries a good amount of the books or not.

Lower Grammar and Dialectic, buying the bulk of it new this year, I wound up spending $200-$250 per unit just for books (not with the teacher's manual). Last week I purchased all the books we needed for year 2, unit 4 for D and LG. I already had a few that were multi-unit, a few that I just had on my shelf already, and there were also a few that I just decided I'd take the dialectic level book and make it work for my LG students. My total from Bookshelf Central was $215. Also, I have discovered that there are always 2 or 3 book titles per unit that Amazon just doesn't have. If you spend $185 or more at Bookshelfcentral, the shipping is free. I didn't think it would, but it actually comes out even or cheaper to order there than Amazon.

Anything that is a classic that would be on the public domain, we use the public domain for it. I don't buy those books. It is a hassle at times, but it saves money. This Country of Ours, Our Island Story, The Story of Europe, Sea Power (I may be wrong on that title), I try to find a kindle loadable version and do it for free if I can.

I plan on purchasing all of the year 3 teacher's manuals in a few weeks. I'm going to do all in my power to purchase used, in advance, if I can. The cost of all of these books sometimes weighs on my conscience. I have to find a way to cut the costs.

Edited by FiveOaksAcademy