Menu

If you exercise regularly and have young kids...

What do you do, how often, and when? Who is watching your children while you do it? I have always had such a hard time figuring out how to work this into my life. It's partly motivation (I hate it!) but it's also logistics. I think hearing how it CAN AND DOES work for others with littles will help me remove that hurdle. Thanks!

Hello :)

You can do it!

Find the time and plan to make it happen.

I have DD6. I wait until husband is home & then go out for a run/cycle/swim for 1 hour. If I am doing well then I will have dinner prep all done and DD6 has Daddy Time for 1 hour.

Another idea is to get up super early and go for exercise b4 anyone's up. We swim, with a group, here at the beach for 1 hour every Monday and Wednesday at 5:45am!!!

Another idea is during a lunch hour. We visit DH and DD6 has lunch with him and I go for swim then.

Hope this is encouraging.

You can do it!!

3 times of day work for me.

First thing in the morning. The kids are sleeping, my husband is home.

During the day with the kids. We do yoga tapes as a family and we play outside (which is a nice cardio workout for me- especially if I get them to kick a ball around). Or bike with them (8 year old rides his bike, 3 year old sits in trailer). Or put 3 year old in stroller and we all walk more than a mile to the library. So 2.5 miles or so round trip and there is a hill. Work it in and set up good habits for the kids.

I do sit-ups, planks, pushup type things before bed 4-5 times a week. Even just 10-15 minutes really helps. Set a timer and get down on your bedroom floor. Again, no one needs to watch the kids.

I am considering signing up for the Y because there are two fun playrooms for the kids and a pool. We will see.

I need to quit using this as an excuse myself.

Actually, at one point, I had a home daycare and exercised with a video. I could exercise during naptime because I just had the baby. I got him a blanket and made him stay upon it so he'd be safe from the weights. It took a little training, but we had already established some boundaries before for him so adding this wasn't too difficult. Much of my weight lifting for a few days was putting him back on the blanket.

Now, I could do it more easily because I have my hubby to help. He usually takes the kids outside to play so I could have time. With his new job (not sure when that starts), he'll be on second shift so he could do that in the morning during a homeschool break or something (we will be homeschooling in the fall).

As for leaving and doing something....some places have kids' zones. Or you could find another mom (preferably a neighbor) having the same issue and each of you babysit the other's kids for work out time each day. Or find a teen who can babysit an hour or two per day. Well, or if you can do it when dad gets home.

I was doing really well getting up early and fitting in a bike ride before anyone woke up. But after a couple months of it I started to slack and snooze a couple times when my alarm went off. :glare: Once you break trend its hard to pick it back up.

Currently- I'm using the cold weather as my excuse. :001_huh: Lame since I'm in Florida and it's in the 50s or 60s in the morning.

:confused:

I suck. Maybe this thread will help re-inspire me.

It depends on the ages of your DC. If they are still very young, I highly recommend a jogging stroller. You can usually find one used for around $50...even a double stroller, if you have more than one DC. Depending on your fitness level, you can walk or jog.

If the kids are too big for the stroller, waking up an hour before they do is ideal. You can go for a run/walk, do a video from the library, or alternate jumping jacks and squat jumps with full-body strength exercises. Also, if money is not a factor, join a gym! Most have babysitting rooms where the kids can have some fun while Mama exercises.

If your DC are tweens, have them join you! As mt DDs got older, they would ride their bikes while I ran. The pace was similar that way. My DDs even completed their first kids triathlon last summer!

PM me if you want more info. I have almost 20 years experience in the fitness field, so we can definitely find a way for you to fit exercise into your life, taking into account time, finances, and fitness level.

Make an appointment for YOU! You can do it and you will be a great role model for your DC.

:thumbup:

I use the gym childcare and go 2-3 times a week during the school year and 3-4 times a week during the summer (less committments = more free time). If I didn't have the gym cjhildcare it would be more complicated to work out with younger ones who can't stay home alone.

It definitely pays dividends as your children get older, because now my 8 yr. old will regularly go out and run my first mile with me. :)

My caution would be this: Drop the rigidity that many schedules have. You are going to have to be flexible for awhile. Just seize the moments when they occur. I trained for 8 marathons while my kids were little. Looking back at my log, anyone trying to figure out my training plan would have been :confused:. I more or less got my miles in, and cross-trained, but there was no set pattern that the "experts" all seem to insist are the key to success. Yeah, if I'm trying to win the event maybe, but runner is not my career. ;)

The other thing is, think about all the indoor things you can do. I have a slideboard which I can do while we watch a documentary. (Also, I had to break down and get a treadmill, because my dh was traveling too much, so some of my miles had to be inside.) Dig through the cheapo DVD bins at the various stores and get some workout/stretch items. Oh yeah, some are totally dated and therefore hysterical, but you can still get a workout! Or see if your library has any...

Heck, there was a point in time where I simply made sure I went upstairs 10x a day (up two floors) just to get some movement going. :D It did help get me over a plateau, fwiw.

Are you able to join the YMCA? Ours has free daycare while adults work out.

When mine were that little, I just waited until dh got home in the afternoons to use our own equipment. I would also take them to one of the local tracks (jr high or high school) and let them run around and play on the football field while I walked the track.

You can do the Leslie Sansone/Walk Away the Pounds tapes right in your living room with no large or expensive exercise equipment needed, often the littles will enjoy trying it with you for a while, you don't need much space, and best of all (for me) you don't need much coordination, either lol. And they're all normal people, not a bunch of swimsuit model look alikes, and they're pretty easy to keep up with... you should check it out!

Twice a week, not enough but regular.

Monday & Friday while the older girls are practicing with the swim team for a hour I will walk on the treadmill at the Y. I get 3 miles in a week.

Occasionally I get to drive carpool for ds's Karate on Tuesday and/or Saturday hour long class and I can get another walk in then. :D This is supposed to be dh's exercise time.

That how we make sure each of us is getting regular exercise. It's not enough for me. I really need something on Wednesday. By Friday I just am so lazy feeling I can't hardly move. Wednesday evening is Awana and that's a night DH and I agreed I'm "off." So I could start going then too. :D

Does pushing 60lbs. worth of toddler all over town in a double stroller count?

That's the only solution I've been able to come up with.

That was my solution. We walked everywhere, but my neighborhood has sidewalks and paved bike paths with little tot lots scattered all around, so the walk was good for everyone.

I'm no shining example when it comes to exercise, but when I really need to work out inside, I use P90X. The videos are a bit long for me; once I had seen it all, I started using the book instead. It's the kind of thing I'll do for a while to get in shape in advance of some sort of social event, and then I fall off the wagon pretty quickly :glare:. But, I've been happy with the short term results.

Ideally, I would prefer to run three times per week and do strength exercises (weights, pullups, etc.) on three other days per week.

We hike and rock climb for exercise and have been taking the kids with us since they were old enough to leave the house after birth. We go for at least one whole day every weekend. For rock climbing, we needed to have a third adult along, so one person was available to watch the kids while they played. (they both did their own first climbs at age 3). For hikes, we carried them when they were little, let them walk as much as they were able to when they started to walk, carried some more. We tailored the trips to their abilities. At age 3, they walked 2 miles. At age 8, they walked 8 miles. Now they outpace us.

We found that there were tremendous benefits to doing this as a family. Our kids are physically fit, have great coordination, and we had countless hours in nature together with them.

ETA: Walking while carrying a toddler in a backpack carrier beats any gym workout.

What do you do, how often, and when? Who is watching your children while you do it? I have always had such a hard time figuring out how to work this into my life. It's partly motivation (I hate it!) but it's also logistics. I think hearing how it CAN AND DOES work for others with littles will help me remove that hurdle. Thanks!

They are in the room with me or they occupied with schoolwork/ chores. Also I just accept that sometimes you just get interrupted. I go to the gym when dh gets home.

I'm just getting back in the wagon. It's hard! I'm going at 7am, home by 8. (the y is only 5 minutes from home.) I can only get in cardio some days, but I have some dumb bells at home. Plus I have 19 month old twins, so if my arms need a work out I throw them up in the air a few times each. That usually backfires because they don't want me to stop. :lol:

Eta: one of the aforementioned twins was beating on my iPad and must have hit the frown icon. I'm not angry about this post. :lol:

Guest mom2jmc

I have a treadmill in my bedroom and I have my three boys do an hour of fun reading four times a week while I run. I try and get a long run on the weekend while my husband watches the boys. My boys are 5, 6, and 8.

I exercise on a rebounder (small trampoline) in short intensive bursts throughout the day. Cheaper and less danger potential (especially for young children) than something like a treadmill. Not ideal maybe, but it works for me and doesn't take up much space--and the kids like it too.

I find it nearly impossible. I tried TTAPPing this morning and had to stop the video 4 times and I finally just quit. Then I got on the treadmill and was interrupted and had to get off 6 times. I quit that too. I've decided that everyone in my house will need to be over age 6 before I can exercise.

I personally cannot exercise after 5 pm, or I can't sleep. DH leaves the house before any else gets up, so having him watch the kids in the morning isn't an option. In order to get up, workout, get showered, dressed and be ready for the day on time, I would have to get up at 5:00 am. NOT happening. IMO, sleep is more important for overall health than exercising.

The only thing that worked for me when my kids were small was to workout before dh left for work. That meant I had to be home and showered before 7 am. The only way that I could haul my rear out of bed to do this was to have a workout partner on the same schedule so I would feel guilty if I blew her off. I do best if I work out before my shower (unless it is rock climbing, then I can "make" myself do that any old time;).)

I find it nearly impossible. I tried TTAPPing this morning and had to stop the video 4 times and I finally just quit. Then I got on the treadmill and was interrupted and had to get off 6 times. I quit that too. I've decided that everyone in my house will need to be over age 6 before I can exercise.

I personally cannot exercise after 5 pm, or I can't sleep. DH leaves the house before any else gets up, so having him watch the kids in the morning isn't an option. In order to get up, workout, get showered, dressed and be ready for the day on time, I would have to get up at 5:00 am. NOT happening. IMO, sleep is more important for overall health than exercising.

I didn't get any workouts besides walking with the stroller until my youngest was 4. After that I started taking a dance class one night a week. Seven years later my kids can watch themselves and I log in about 5 hours of evening classes (and another 5 at the home studio with the kids around.)

Now, evening exercise works for me and I have no trouble sleeping right after ANY workout BUT the real point is that this is one area of life that is MUCH MUCH easier when the kids are older. It's a season. One day I hope to be one of this spunky old ladies at the water aerobics classes every morning, but until that day comes I think it's ok to count housework and child hoisting as ambitious enough for any young mother. With little kids, eating less and staying on your feet most of the day can be adequate to maintain a decent level of fitness.

What do you do, how often, and when? Who is watching your children while you do it?

Things are way easier for me now, but when my kids were very little, I used to ride my bike indoors on the trainer all the time. (A trainer is a stand that holds the bike in place. A simple trainer can be inexpensive and they're usually pretty easy to find used.) I would plop the trainer in front of the TV or my computer, put my bike in it, and watch something while I rode.

I still use the trainer when my kids are sick, or the weather is bitter cold or snowy. I *love* my trainer, because I love cycling.

I also ran a lot on off hours, super early in the morning or at night, when my husband was home to watch the kids for a bit. I couldn't often do long runs, but when they were little, I was happy if I could run for a half hour!

:glare: I wish I had something useful to say. My eldest just turned 3 and I have not yet found a "good system" - I tried during naps (but I also like to pick up from the morning and do some other chores during that time ... or when my DD was young/BFing we would rest together. Now, they are both all over the place with their sleep schedule, which has messed up my sleep schedule, and we're just a big ol' mess atm.

In the meantime, I pay for a YMCA membership and I need to go use it. I just lack motivation. :glare:

Thanks, everyone, for your sharing how to you fit this into your life (and thanks to those who said they struggle to do so -- glad I'm not the only one)! You all have really helped me think about this constructively. I think I've been too legalistic, as in "I SHOULD be exercising three times a week for 45 minutes, doing the same (cardio) exercise each time." You've helped me realize that some exercise is better than no exercise and that sporadic is okay. So, I think some of my windows will be...

-- walk during drama. (Once a week, I take some of my kids to a 45 min. drama class. Usually I work on my laptop in the car or run a quick errand. I think I will now park and walk around the neighborhood where practice is.)

-- take a yoga class one night per week. (My friend has been bugging me to do this. I have resisted; what's one night going to do, and I'm not super excited about yoga. But it's something, and the friend element will help me.)

-- see if another friend will walk w/ me early, before kids are up. She lives nearby and this has been the only way to exercise early in the past -- a "date" with someone I don't want to let down.

-- get our elliptical and use it when I can. Some friends are storing it b/c we didn't think our new house was big enough for it. But maybe we can find a place to cram it in, even the garage. Do it before the kids are up, or at night.

-- crunches before bed. I procrastinate on this b/c I think there are so many confusing things about the "right" way to do ab exercises. But it's not rocket science, right? I can google, pick a few, and do them before bed.

-- walk the dog. Getting a dog soon... so that will be a new measure of accountability (I am pretty duty-driven, so I think this will actually work for me. I have a hard time doing things "for myself" but I DO do stuff I feel I "should do" for others.)

Does that sound good? Thanks for helping me think this through!!!

I didn't have time to read the other replies, so this may have already been mentioned...

I really LOVE T-Tapp. I do the Basic Workout Plus, and it only takes me 15 minutes to get a good workout. I just do not have the time to exercise for 30 to 60 minutes each day, but 15 minutes can usually be fit in before the children are up. Sometimes I exercise during nap time. Sometimes it's when they are awake, but that means that I'll have to stop a few times during the workout. I figure that's better than not doing it at all, though! Sometimes my children do it with me!

I love that T-Tapp doesn't require any equipment other than a DVD player and good shoes. I love that it is strength, stretching, and cardio all in one, with no jumping, which would aggravate my bad knee.

This is the first workout I've been able to do consistently since I had more than one child! :D (I've been doing this for about 2 years, btw.)

Hope that helps!

Edited by Heart_Mom

You can do the Leslie Sansone/Walk Away the Pounds tapes right in your living room with no large or expensive exercise equipment needed, often the littles will enjoy trying it with you for a while, you don't need much space, and best of all (for me) you don't need much coordination, either lol. And they're all normal people, not a bunch of swimsuit model look alikes, and they're pretty easy to keep up with... you should check it out!

Thanks for the reminder. One of my concerns was doing things I knew my littles would want to do but I wouldn't want them doing (like I got a new BeachBody video not long ago). This is something I could do in the morning after the bulk of the getting up basics is done. They could either play or join me easily enough.

I don't formally exercise but I'm in constant motion from the time the girls get up (roughly 5:30am) to when my big girl goes to bed (roughly 9pm). I'm always playing or doing something with the girls, cleaning, doing other house stuff, errands, etc, etc all day long. I can't stand really sitting still. The result: my girls are well tended to, my house is clean and I'm pretty trim. I slapped a pedometer on recently and on a typical day, I average between 17,000-18,0000 steps.

Actually, we just started walking Monday and Wednesday nights at the school with my mother. The girls come too and we all walk the stairs and halls for about 45 minutes. I can't wait to see how many steps those nights add to my pedometer count!

So for me, it's just daily life. I like to park as far away from the store as possible, I pace when I'm on the phone, we like to dance to silly songs, cleaning, etc. All of those things add to calorie burn. My girls are also highly, highly active so it's hard to really sit still when they are around!

Get a pedometer and see how many steps you average then incease them each day/week.

Edited by MissKNG

I'm reading this with great interest. The only time I can do it is 5:30 am, because the kids are still asleep for at least another half an hour and the dogs have peed and gone back to bed.

Other times, trying to exercise tends to become more like a cage match as they all try to join in and the dogs get very excited and starting standing on people and licking ears.

I don't formally exercise but I'm in constant motion from the time the girls get up (roughly 5:30am) to when my big girl goes to bed (roughly 9pm). I'm always playing or doing something with the girls, cleaning, doing other house stuff, errands, etc, etc all day long. I can't stand really sitting still. The result: my girls are well tended to, my house is clean and I'm pretty trim. I slapped a pedometer on recently and on a typical day, I average between 17,000-18,0000 steps.

This used to be me until my older kids got big enough to need full school days. Now I'm sitting at the kitchen table (teaching) more than I would like. This, combined with having a 5th baby and hitting my mid-30s, means that I need to start doing something formal, somehow.

I like your idea about parking far away. I don't do that b/c I don't want to bring 5 kids all the way across the parking lot (and I'm lazy). But it's not that big of a deal (they stick together and to me) and I NEED to look for ways like this to get myself moving. Thanks!

I also need to get off the computer and clean my house more, when I'm not schooling. So... that would be good for my body and my house. :D

I'm reading this with great interest. The only time I can do it is 5:30 am, because the kids are still asleep for at least another half an hour and the dogs have peed and gone back to bed.

Other times, trying to exercise tends to become more like a cage match as they all try to join in and the dogs get very excited and starting standing on people and licking ears.

:lol: Love the visual!

I have to exercise very early. I'm out the door at 5:15 am and back an hour later from my walk/jog.

The plus to getting up that early on weekdays, means I feel like I really slept in at 7 am on weekends. I go out with the local running club one day on weekends at 8 am. I look forward to meeting the local club, so that keeps me motivated during my mundane routine on weekdays -- especially when it's cold and dark.

This used to be me until my older kids got big enough to need full school days. Now I'm sitting at the kitchen table (teaching) more than I would like. This, combined with having a 5th baby and hitting my mid-30s, means that I need to start doing something formal, somehow.

I like your idea about parking far away. I don't do that b/c I don't want to bring 5 kids all the way across the parking lot (and I'm lazy). But it's not that big of a deal (they stick together and to me) and I NEED to look for ways like this to get myself moving. Thanks!

I also need to get off the computer and clean my house more, when I'm not schooling. So... that would be good for my body and my house. :D

Pace while on the phone. Instead of bringing all the groceries in at once, take multiple trips from the car to the house, stand and walk around the kitchen table while teaching. Just some more ideas!

I'm 34 and I also watch 2 extra kids FT during the week - that really keeps me moving too!

As for the parking lot, can your olders help out? Sit with the youngers while you zip to get a cart?

This is exactly why I have to leave the house to exercise.

It varied through the years. Sometimes I would exercise after dinner when dh could watch the children. There were times it was 4:30 in the morning, I had purcased a jogging stroller at one point, put a movie on for the kids in the afternoon to get my exercise done, I have found various circuit routines that could be done in the back yard while the kids played. I had a friend who actually gated off an area in her family room for her elliptical machine so she could exercise and see her kids.

Edited by lynn