Menu

Bleh. I think I need to change pharmacies.

I am a person who likes structure and routine. I use the same person to cut my hair, the same doctor, same dentist, etc. I love our pharmacy and we have a good relationship. They know me by name and there are times when we've had emergencies that they have literally thrown medicine off the shelf to the pharmacist who immediately filled it for me.

However. I think they are careless. And careless pharmacies make me nervous.

Some mistakes, I can understand. They gave me eye drops instead of an eye ointment. They gave me risperdol pills rather than liquid. Both of those were corrected with only minor aggravation.

I have a daughter who takes hyomax (it resolves stomach cramps for IBS) and the pill is placed under her tongue. The first time we filled it, they gave her hyomax sulfate (I think is what it was). It tasted horrible and she had already had two doses by the time we realized it. I returned it and they gave me the right prescription.

I had to refill the hyomax yesterday. After we were handed the pills, I asked my middle daughter to check them out for me (she also takes them for Celiac reactions). She told me the pills weren't the correct one. The pharmacist was very nice but assured us that it was the correct pill. He said he had double-checked it himself.

When we were out in the car, my daughter told me again that it wasn't correct and asked if she could taste it to make sure it was okay before giving it to DD7. (It has a mint taste and is harmless). I took one from the bottle and tasted it myself and it didn't taste right. I looked at the bottle and it gave the pill description as H followed by PAC (or something like that). The pill in the bottle was a different shape and had a B and on the other side numbers (146 I think?).

I went back inside and the pharmacist looked and said that it was the wrong medication. He filled it for me and showed me the bottle so that I could see it was the correct kind.

My oldest daughter is non-verbal and I can't have medication that is wrong. She wouldn't be able to tell me. The only reason I hesitate is because we only have two pharmacies in town. This one is a chain and when I visit relatives and have problems, my doctor can call me something in wherever I am at. I love the convenience. The other one is a 9 - 5 place.

Just a vent I suppose.... Thanks for listening (reading?) lol.

If the meds were truely wrong and not just another manufacturer, then I would switch pharmacies and get a print out from drugs,com of what that med looks like from every manufacturer out there. My son took a med for 3 years, and there were two companies that made it, and they both looked and tasted different. I do not trust anyone when it comes to our health.

Not only should you change pharmacists, but I URGE you to make a complaint to your state regulatory board of pharmacy.

Any error in filling an RX is unacceptable. Repeated errors with just ONE CLIENT are an obvious sign of extreme carelessness and negligence. This pharmacy is likely KILLING PEOPLE every month. Please, please do what you can to help fix it.

(((hugs))) and I am very glad that noone in your family was seriously harmed. Yet.

It also sounds like he lied to you? He said he checked it himself, then when you brought it back in and he checked it in front of you, he admitted it was wrong.

I don't know. My sister is a pharmacist and she is also the director, and I can't imagine her letting her pharmacists get away with this type and quantity of errors.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going ahead and changing pharmacies (as much as I hate change). I have used the other pharmacy in a pinch and they have always been very nice and I know they want my business. (We have three kids with medical conditions so there are times where we have a LOT of prescriptions).

Although I'm not completely positive about the numbers on the pill, I just googled what I think it was and it looks like a prescription for hydrocodone and some other mixture. :001_huh: While my daughter does have pain with her stomach, what she uses (hyomax) acts more like a muscle relaxer rather than pain relief. That's a scary mix-up.

Interestingly, we've used this pharmacy in this town for three years and all the mistakes have been in the last six months. I have never (ever) had a problem with any pharmacy prior to just recently.

I'll look into reporting it, but I'm not sure where?

Thanks for the replies. I'm going ahead and changing pharmacies (as much as I hate change). I have used the other pharmacy in a pinch and they have always been very nice and I know they want my business. (We have three kids with medical conditions so there are times where we have a LOT of prescriptions).

Although I'm not completely positive about the numbers on the pill, I just googled what I think it was and it looks like a prescription for hydrocodone and some other mixture. :001_huh: While my daughter does have pain with her stomach, what she uses (hyomax) acts more like a muscle relaxer rather than pain relief. That's a scary mix-up.

Interestingly, we've used this pharmacy in this town for three years and all the mistakes have been in the last six months. I have never (ever) had a problem with any pharmacy prior to just recently.

I'll look into reporting it, but I'm not sure where?

In addition to the state board, I would file a complaint with the company itself. To give you some context, in the 11 years of dealing with multiple prescriptions for ds at multiple pharmacies, I have NEVER had a single error of the magnitude you have. The worst I've had to deal with was getting a script filled in a timely manner. These are MAJOR, life threatening mistakes.