Menu

What Curriculum?

For a "boxed" curriculum, friends of mine have used Sonlight and Christian Light (http://www.clp.org/). Both are solid, thorough programs, although Christian Light is much more affordable. I haven't used a complete program myself, but I do think it's a great idea for someone just starting out who wants to have more time to explore all the options :).

Is there any way you could get to a homeschool convention where you can see the curriculum. When we started a few years ago, it helped to physically look at it and be able to go back and forth and compare. I could see if it would be something I could handle working with and also what I thought my kids would be drawn too. I also had the kids come and look at the curriculum after I had narrowed things down. The kids looked at the curriculum I had chosen for English and flat out told me they didn't like to learn that way.

One thing I learned quickly is to not to be afraid to ditch a curriculum after a month or two if you just don't feel it is working for you. It has taken a couple of years to work out the kinks but I think we are finally with curriculum that works for us. My kids where 6th and 7th grade when we started. It has been a wonderful journey so far!

Is there any way you could get to a homeschool convention where you can see the curriculum.

Yes, I am plannning to attend the one in Cincy. Was just hoping to get it narrowed down to a few options before I get there.

You can download a long sample of Sonlight and see if it would work before you go. :001_smile:

Timberdoodle has complete packages you can buy and have been really responsive when I called them about customizing a package (if you need subjects at different grade levels). Cost is very reasonable too.

Homeschool SuperCenter sells a secular curriculum package that you could add your own religious studies. We use quite a few of the same materials as are included in their set.

Since you mentioned wanting Bible, you can also look at ACE, Heart of Dakota (HOD) or My Father's World (MFW)

Oh how I wish I knew of WTM and conventions when I first started! :)

I'm very thankful that I had the WTM when I was first starting, but even MORE thankful that I NEVER went to a convention until I'd been homeschooling about 5 years. I can't even imagine the piles of curriculum I'd have sitting in the closet...:lol: