Menu

Writing for 1st/2nd grade

happypamama

Okay, my oldest son just turned 7 and is a first-grader this year. I'm looking at Writing With Ease, Level 1 for him. His printing is, I think, excellent for a first-grade boy, though I think he needs more practice in listening and narrating (which is why I'm looking at Level 1 and not Level 2).

Currently, I print out a sheet of copywork for him several times a week, and a few times a week, he dictates a couple of sentences to me about whatever we've read for history. I'm cool with making my own copywork for him, and I think the narrating is good to do with the history readings, so I'm a little reluctant to spend the money to buy the full WWE1 workbook. However, I wasn't sure if the WWE Instructor Text would have enough detail about what I should look for in his writing, what I should encourage, etc. In that respect, how does it compare to the instructor section of the WWE workbook -- good enough detail, or really lacking in hand-holding for the parent?

Okay, that's good to know; I did look at the evaluations online, and I think he probably would be okay to start in Level 2.

Still, though, could I do it with just the big instructor text, or do I really need each individual student workbook?

If you are comfortable picking out the passages yourself and have the time there is no reason to get the workbooks.

Still, though, could I do it with just the big instructor text, or do I really need each individual student workbook?

If you want to pick your own passages, get the instructor text (and it's actually not "big"... it's a fairly small book! :D)

If you want to have everything planned for you and just open and go, using SWB's "brain" instead of your own, get the workbook (don't need the instructor text in this instance).

I do have both, and I recommend listening to the audio lecture on teaching writing in the elementary years if you don't get the instructor text. I prefer using the workbooks myself - much more hand holding. We also enjoy the passages, and we've found a lot of good candidates for books we'd like to read soon. ;) WWE is one of my son's favorite parts of the day, as long as it's narration day (he's writing phobic). ;)

The instructor text gives you samples for each year... I'm thinking 4 of them per year? I forget. Then it gives you guidelines for selecting your own passages. You have to come up with your own leading questions for your passages, obviously. That's the part that I'm not very good at, so I like that SWB has done the work for me. Other people find that part super duper easy and love using the instructor text. So you just need to look at yourself and what you feel comfortable doing. Both are excellent ways to go - just pick the one that fits your style.

I haven't used it yet, but I have the WWE teacher's text. It gives full lessons for each year as a "get started" guide, points out various elements to focus on in the copywork/narration, and gives a good guide of how the student should be advancing through the year. I'd guess that if you are comfortable with creating your own copywork/narration, just the teacher's text will work fine.