Menu

Brave Writer Arrow?

sditz1

How much did it cost you?

I love it. I signed up through HSBC. I bought the current year's worth (one is released each month). I had an old one from a year or two ago and it wasn't as in-depth or involved. I much prefer the new format, in fact, I love it!

I love it. I signed up through HSBC. I bought the current year's worth (one is released each month). I had an old one from a year or two ago and it wasn't as in-depth or involved. I much prefer the new format, in fact, I love it!

Could this work as an entire writing curriculum, or would you consider it more of a supplement?

Could this work as an entire writing curriculum, or would you consider it more of a supplement?

I think there is a pretty good sample for free to donate on the site.

Some of the things it might include:

- copywork (or dictation, however you want to do it) each week.

- fun grammar explanations and exercises

- explanations about the copywork example (unique punctuation, quotations, etc.)

- writing exercise

I use Arrow in addition to loosely following the Bravewriter lifestyle (freewrites, tea/poetry, library, movies). I don't know exactly how to answer your question because we're pretty loose and flexible ourselves. What would you say would be included in a full writing curriculum?

We did WWE1 and liked it okay. We haven't gone back to it since starting these lessons though.

We have MCT and we still plan to do it, but we'll take a break from Arrow for a while to do that.

Essentially what I'm saying ( :) ) is that I'm not sure. I am kind of winging it in this area!!!

Tammy,

I've never purchased the Arrow because it says the books are read-alouds and I like at least some of ours to be linked to the period of history that we're studying. I just took a closer look at the books on Amazon and most of them have the reading level listed as 8-12 year olds! Now I'm wondering if this would be perfect for my then 9.5 yo to use as readers alongside the Arrow????

How do you use it?

Tammy,

I've never purchased the Arrow because it says the books are read-alouds and I like at least some of ours to be linked to the period of history that we're studying. I just took a closer look at the books on Amazon and most of them have the reading level listed as 8-12 year olds! Now I'm wondering if this would be perfect for my then 9.5 yo to use as readers alongside the Arrow????

How do you use it?

We use the book as a read-aloud. I use that as my main read aloud with dd, though we add more in also (like the Penderwicks on Gardam Street at the moment).

They are very readable at that level, for the kids. My dd has read some of them in the past. I like doing the read aloud with her because I feel like I know the characters when we're doing the lessons, but you really wouldn't *need* to do it as a read aloud.

We use the book as a read-aloud. I use that as my main read aloud with dd, though we add more in also (like the Penderwicks on Gardam Street at the moment).

They are very readable at that level, for the kids. My dd has read some of them in the past. I like doing the read aloud with her because I feel like I know the characters when we're doing the lessons, but you really wouldn't *need* to do it as a read aloud.

Thanks! :001_smile: And thanks for mentioning HSBC. Didn't know about it before!!! Might have to get another copy of WJ too for HALF PRICE (!) since mine has been gone for ages!!!

Would you tell me more about how it has changed? I used several different back issues a couple of years ago, but was frustrated because some of them didn't have much substance in them. They seemed to vary widely in how much material was included. I saw that she revised them - was it last year? - but I never could find any reviews about how in-depth or consistant they were compared to the older ones.

With the older ones there were some I thought were worth the money, but others not at all. I stopped buying them because I never knew if it would be a title that was worth it or not. The deal through HSBC is great, though!

Would you tell me more about how it has changed? I used several different back issues a couple of years ago, but was frustrated because some of them didn't have much substance in them. They seemed to vary widely in how much material was included. I saw that she revised them - was it last year? - but I never could find any reviews about how in-depth or consistant they were compared to the older ones.

With the older ones there were some I thought were worth the money, but others not at all. I stopped buying them because I never knew if it would be a title that was worth it or not. The deal through HSBC is great, though!

The two samples I have from a couple years ago weren't very substantial either. That's why the new format is so great. A big thing she added, I believe, is grammar. But really, I find the price very good for nine units, if you go through HSBC.

To download an new-format issue, go here - it is in the new format, and for Ginger Pye.

http://www.bravewriter.com/program/language-arts-programs/the-arrow/

Just popping back in to say that I purchased the 2011-12 set. From what's out so far I agree that they are vastly improved and looked really, really good! So for those who want to pick and choose, I would choose the newer ones for the new format. Looks like it's enough detail to get into the meat of things but not so much that it would be overwhelming!

Can't wait to start them!

Just popping back in to say that I purchased the 2011-12 set. From what's out so far I agree that they are vastly improved and looked really, really good! So for those who want to pick and choose, I would choose the newer ones for the new format. Looks like it's enough detail to get into the meat of things but not so much that it would be overwhelming!

Can't wait to start them!

There was a great lesson on onomatopoeia (forget which book) and now dd will never forget what it means. I don't remember ever have it taught that way when I was a kid.

For me, the money spent on Arrow lessons is more than worth it. I will continue to subscribe in the future. I also love that we get a new one each month, as it's kind of like getting a magazine, which I also love :)

I have the 2010-2011 editions. Does anyone know if this years' is really that different from last year's?

I don't remember when she made the changes. You could look at the current sample on their website. The formatting looks different from the older editions so I think you'd know from the comparison.