Menu

Yet another MCT Question

SunnyDays

I know many of you use MCT for LA. I'm seriously considering it for my son.

MCT uses the four level analysis rather than traditional diagramming. If a student learns that way, does he also need to learn how to diagram sentences in a more traditional manner? And if so, does knowing the four level analysis help with that, or is it just more confusing?

He may eventually return to public or private school, so I wonder if he at least needs to be familiar with how to actually diagram. Or do they even teach that anymore?

Also... in the Island and Town levels, I've heard some of you say the writing is fairly minimal. Does it need to be supplemented? If so, is another formal program needed, or can I just toss out a few extra assignments here and there?

Thanks much! :)

MCT uses the four level analysis rather than traditional diagramming. If a student learns that way, does he also need to learn how to diagram sentences in a more traditional manner? And if so, does knowing the four level analysis help with that, or is it just more confusing?

He may eventually return to public or private school, so I wonder if he at least needs to be familiar with how to actually diagram. Or do they even teach that anymore?

Also... in the Island and Town levels, I've heard some of you say the writing is fairly minimal. Does it need to be supplemented? If so, is another formal program needed, or can I just toss out a few extra assignments here and there?

I am mostly giving you a bump.

and I doubt there are many public schools that teach diagramming. :001_smile:

I don't think public schools teach how to diagram, so I don't think that part would matter...We are using MCT and feel that the 4 level analysis is enough...I am concerned with my boys knowing the parts of the sentence and what each word in a particular sentence is, not necessarily that they know the system of diagramming...Everyone is different and others here will disagree...Some feel learning to diagram is very important, so that is up to you...

As far as the writing goes, I would supplement with either WWE, or your own dictation and narration excersises...

I can't help much, because we just started w/ MCT, but I can report that dd, who learned no diagramming in ps, loved diagramming in FLL, and has no confusion with the MCT 4-level stuff. She sees how it all fits together. I see the 4-level analysis as helping her learn the actual parts of speech and how they are used, better than diagramming did. Diagramming was more of a puzzle, with this, she has to think about and correctly identify *each word* which is improving her grammatical awareness a lot.

I agree that the 4 level analysis and diagramming are both beneficial. One will not confuse the other for you. If you know parts of speech, you should be able to identify them and put them where they belong, no problem. There was a thread recently about whether or not public schools do diagramming anymore. I did intensive diagramming in 9th grade but that was in 1986-1987. Who knows what's going on these days.

I personally feel that the writing in MCTLA (at least Island level) needs to be supplemented. It's fun and the assignments are creative but, at least for us, it is not regimented enough. We supplement with WWE and Brave Writer.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy