Menu

Teaching about the presidents?

sditz1

We loved info cards at that age. Nat Geo makes some. Each president has a card and some info about him along w/a picture.

When you want dc to memorize the presidents, try Yo, Millard Fillmore! Silly cartoon book that doesn't tell you anything about each president, but both of my kids memorized all presidents in about 15 minutes and still remember them (years later.) One of my children is learns visually and the other aurally.

HTH,

Thanks! Added that to my Amazon list. :001_smile:

We loved info cards at that age. Nat Geo makes some. Each president has a card and some info about him along w/a picture.

When you want dc to memorize the presidents, try Yo, Millard Fillmore! Silly cartoon book that doesn't tell you anything about each president, but both of my kids memorized all presidents in about 15 minutes and still remember them (years later.) One of my children is learns visually and the other aurally.

HTH,

Hmm. Tricky. We are only hitting upon Washington and Lincoln this year. DD will study Washington this Presidents' Day (and briefly touch upon Lincoln). We will study Lincoln a little ways down the road so she doesn't get the two confused.

Have you studied American symbols yet? I know it's not presidents, but that might be a good place to start...to learn more about our nation.

We use this book for social studies, in general. If covers the American flag, Statue of Liberty, Liberty Bell, bald eagle, Uncle Sam, the White House, but also Presidents' Day and Abraham Lincoln. There's a lot more to it...holidays, other famous Americans as well as a touch of early American history. (Bought the eBook version for $1 when Scholastic had their dollar deals.)

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/nonfiction-literacy-building-booklets-activities

Other than that, maybe hit the picture books. Maybe cover the presidents that are on Mount Rushmore and have monuments throughout Washington D.C. And/Or, maybe study the ones on our money. If you can't track down paper activities, etc. for them (or easy and cost-efficient ones), you could do simple lapbooks.

That's all I've got. Wish I had something more. I tried running some searches for you at some of the teacher resources company sites. Came up dry.

Something like this. She is in K.

Thanks