Menu

Beast Academy 3B TOC (from Facebook page)

Deniseibase

Have you noticed the differences in formatting? All capital letters are out! There is less color and it looks cleaner and easier to read. This should make it easier for kids on the younger side to work with books more independently.

Yes! They listened :). Also note that the text is organized more sequentially than before, so we know what bubble to read next.

I'm wondering if I can abandon MM3b next month (we have about 50 lessons left) and just start using this? Dd really likes the pages and she is becoming a science/math person more and more everyday.

My concern is where do I go after we do this? Pick up in MM4a? We have been using MM3 and TT4 (for review), but I hate to make her do THREE 3rd grade programs. She did 2 in second grade and it worked well which is why we are using 2 again this year.

The way the grades are coming out is a little annoying. My ds will be ready for the second grade before it comes out and he is going to be so jealous when he sees this program.

I'm wondering if I can abandon MM3b next month (we have about 50 lessons left) and just start using this? Dd really likes the pages and she is becoming a science/math person more and more everyday.

My concern is where do I go after we do this? Pick up in MM4a? We have been using MM3 and TT4 (for review), but I hate to make her do THREE 3rd grade programs. She did 2 in second grade and it worked well which is why we are using 2 again this year.

The way the grades are coming out is a little annoying. My ds will be ready for the second grade before it comes out and he is going to be so jealous when he sees this program.

It is annoying. I also wish they'd release a price point so I know if it's an option or not.

Is anybody worried they won't print enough copies? :D

I'm not too worried, as we won't be starting until September at the earliest. The revised publication estimates make me feel even better about delaying starting; that, and I just love MEP. I know DD the Younger will love BA, but I love MEP and DD is thriving with it, but DD the Younger will *love* BA even more...

There are worse problem to have, but that doesn't make the choice any easier.

Edited by nmoira
typo

I'm not too worried, as we won't be starting until September's at the earliest. The revised publication estimates make me feel even better about delaying starting; that, and I just love MEP. I know DD the Younger will love BA, but I love MEP and DD is thriving with it, but DD the Younger will *love* BA even more...

I am not thrilled with a new timeline, but I will take what comes our way.

My older boy is finishing up SM 3A and now with BA in the mix, my decisions just got a bit more complicated. I have a hard time letting go of SM, but having two math programs as afterschools just isn't sane. :001_smile:

It looks sooo perfect for kids. I am not a fan of comics, but I couldn't help smiling at my son's enthusiasm.

I really wish they would show something besides geometry. What does the multiplication look like?? How have they made skip counting deeper or more interesting??

The books look very unique and intriguing. I'm trying not to be too excited though because we need something more than just shapes

I'm not too worried, as we won't be starting until September at the earliest. The revised publication estimates make me feel even better about delaying starting; that, and I just love MEP. I know DD the Younger will love BA, but I love MEP and DD is thriving with it, but DD the Younger will *love* BA even more...

I am not thrilled with a new timeline, but I will take what comes our way.

My older boy is finishing up SM 3A and now with BA in the mix, my decisions just got a bit more complicated. I have a hard time letting go of SM, but having two math programs as afterschools just isn't sane. :001_smile:

It looks sooo perfect for kids. I am not a fan of comics, but I couldn't help smiling at my son's enthusiasm.

What new revised timeline? Don't tell me there is a delay! The first batch is due out next month, correct?

Bill

What new revised timeline? Don't tell me there is a delay! The first batch is due out next month, correct?

Bill

No need to panic. :D

Nothing that hasn't been announced this past week: four months per book instead of three.

My son is absolutely addicted to Calvin and Hobbes, and when we got the sample in the mail he read through it immediately, and has re-read it about 10 times....

No word on the pricing yet, right? I don't have FB anymore! DS6 is begging for this, and I am thinking of using it after MM2B to see how it goes. I think we'll still do MM3 but intersperse some BA.
No pre-orders, and they've said that if pricing will be announced before release, it will be announced on FB. I'm sure the info will be posted here within seconds. :tongue_smilie:

No need to panic. :D

Nothing that hasn't been announced this past week: four months per book instead of three.

That's it! Sorry for the confusion.

I was assuming prior to the facebook announcement new books would hit the shelf every 6 months or so (not 8 months). Not much of a difference, but three years out it works out to a semester delay or so. For those of us already working 3rd grade level or up (and somewhat backtracking), it might be more of an issue.

I really wish they would show something besides geometry. What does the multiplication look like??

That sample is showing the distributive property of multiplication (see the 3B TOC -> Distributive Property). It's using area as a visual, which I think works out very nicely.

Edited by boscopup
Confusing math terms... blaming it on Benadryl!

So you were just screwing with my head? :D

And what do you mean four months per book not three?

Bill

They originally said they were going to try to get the rest of grade three books out one every 3 months. They are now saying one every 4 months. So 3C and 3D should both be out by December I think.

They originally said they were going to try to get the rest of grade three books out one every 3 months. They are now saying one every 4 months. So 3C and 3D should both be out by December I think.

That's not acceptable. Two books (which we all voted to be one book) is half a years work. If they produce half a years work in eight months, that (if I have my math right :tongue_smilie:) is one year of materials every 16 months.

How is that OK?

Bill

That's not acceptable. Two books (which we all voted to be one book) is half a years work. If they produce half a years work in eight months, that (if I have my math right :tongue_smilie:) is one year of materials every 16 months.

How is that OK?

Bill

A good reason to stick with our spine of MM and use BA as a supplement, that's what I say :)

How is that OK?

Bill

So it's going to take them four years to publish grade 3, 4 and 5. I also hope I have the math right. :001_huh: So, if you didn't plan to start pre-algebra for another 4 years, it works out just fine.

In our case, this might just turn out O.K..maybe, I think. :confused:

From Facebook: Beast Academy ‎3A and 3B (Guide and Practice books, 4 total) will be available in March. 3C and 3D will be released as they are completed, and we expect both to be out by the year's end. It is still tough to project when grade 4 will be completed (the art in particular takes a long time, and we are doing everything we can to get the books ready as early as possible without compromising quality).

Beast Academy Ideally, we would be able to publish a new book every 3 months (since each book is 1/4 of a grade). At our current production rate, that is too optimistic a schedule. We are hoping to be able to release a new pair of books (Guide and Practice) about every 4 months. We expect 3C to be ready by August, and 3D by December (2012). Hope this helps.

From Facebook: Beast Academy ‎3A and 3B (Guide and Practice books, 4 total) will be available in March. 3C and 3D will be released as they are completed, and we expect both to be out by the year's end. It is still tough to project when grade 4 will be completed (the art in particular takes a long time, and we are doing everything we can to get the books ready as early as possible without compromising quality).

Beast Academy Ideally, we would be able to publish a new book every 3 months (since each book is 1/4 of a grade). At our current production rate, that is too optimistic a schedule. We are hoping to be able to release a new pair of books (Guide and Practice) about every 4 months. We expect 3C to be ready by August, and 3D by December (2012). Hope this helps.

Has anyone suggested on their Facebook page that they get the artist whatever help he or she needs to keep the train on the track and on schedule? How are people expected to start using the 3rd Grade books when the 4th Grade books won't be ready for them when they finish?

What a bunch of baloney!

Bill

Has anyone suggested on their Facebook page that they get the artist whatever help he or she needs to keep the train on the track and on schedule? How are people expected to start using the 3rd Grade books when the 4th Grade books won't be ready for them when they finish?

What a bunch of baloney!

Bill

:iagree:

I'm nervous about planning to use a curriculum that won't release pricing and won't be ready on time for a new level.

What a bunch of baloney!

Bill

I nominate you to call RR :). Or, you could have a fatherly chat with the young artist Erich Owen :D. Really, the best way to get through might be to email Batterson, because he might be in charge of the project (I might happen to have that addy around here someplace, though the BA general email should work) - he was nice in a prior exchange.

Eta, I wouldn't be surprised if their pace increased as they go along, having potentially fewer "new" issues.

Edited by wapiti

I left a comment on the FB page: "Are you anticipating that it will take 16 months to release each level of the curriculum? That's really concerning for me. It means that we'll need four years to cover the three years of 3rd to 5th grade math. Do you think the pace of the project will speed up as you go along?"

We'll see what they say.

I left a comment on the FB page: "Are you anticipating that it will take 16 months to release each level of the curriculum? That's really concerning for me. It means that we'll need four years to cover the three years of 3rd to 5th grade math. Do you think the pace of the project will speed up as you go along?"

We'll see what they say.

Thank you!!!

We'll see what they say.

Response:

That is correct. We have done lots of work to streamline the process, but producing one Guide and Practice book every 4 months looks to be a minimum without sacrificing quality. At 4 months per book, if a 3rd grader begins Beast Academy this fall and completes a book every 3 months, we will begin with almost a year "head start."

That said, books are unpredictable and we certainly cannot guarantee that 5D will be available in the summer of 2015. We've found that accurate predictions that far out are impossible. We will do our best to give an honest timeline for those planning to use the books.

It's interesting to see from this response that they seem to be thinking of the years as full 12-month calendar years, rather than 9-month "academic years." If so, that will affect how quickly we move through it.

Response:

It's interesting to see from this response that they seem to be thinking of the years as full 12-month calendar years, rather than 9-month "academic years." If so, that will affect how quickly we move through it.

They responded to you:

Like most things, it depends on the child using the books. Each grade level includes the full curriculum from the Common Core State Standards, plus lots of the fun topics that we wish were included. We try to go much deeper than is typical, so that by the end of 5th grade we hope to have a student ready to begin AoPS pre-algebra. We are actually eager to see how these books will be used and received. I suspect that if a kids burns through them quickly, it will be more because they are fun than because they are easy

:D

Does anybody know if they ever talked about what their vision of Beast Academy website going to be? I wonder if they will do instructional videos or extra practice or just games, or all of it.

They could probably get all the kids hooked on math if they get those characters animated online.

It doesn't seem like we can expect anything comprehensive online in 2012.

Just wanted to add that if there is a meaty online component, it will be easier to make those books "last."

Edited by Roadrunner

I nominate you to call RR :). Or, you could have a fatherly chat with the young artist Erich Owen :D. Really, the best way to get through might be to email Batterson, because he might be in charge of the project (I might happen to have that addy around here someplace, though the BA general email should work) - he was nice in a prior exchange.

Eta, I wouldn't be surprised if their pace increased as they go along, having potentially fewer "new" issues.

You know I'm going to contact them...once I calm down :D

Bill

Response:

We won't be starting in the fall, we will upon publication (plus shipping time :tongue_smilie:). They get no "head-start." None! :D

Bill

We won't be starting in the fall, we will upon publication (plus shipping time :tongue_smilie:). They get no "head-start." None! :D

Us too, AND we homeschool year round! We'll be breathing down their necks! We'll start asking for 3c two weeks after they ship 3a! I'll take pictures of my sweet, innocent, wide-eyed, blonde seven-year-old weeping over her completed math book, and upload them to the Beast Academy Facebook page!

...Or maybe I'll supplement with MEP and Life of Fred. :tongue_smilie:

Y'know, one thing to keep in mind might be that so far, the Beast Academy people seem to be good about erring on the side of caution. For example, originally the Beast Academy stuff was supposed to be released in summer 2012 - now that's been updated to early-mid March, which is a lot sooner. Quite possibly they are figuring that it's better to promise a conservative, later date estimate, and then release early if possible, than promise the early date and then have unexpected problems and have people howling at them when books are later than expected.

I see this a LOT in the boardgaming world (which a lot of the AoPS guys are part of too, BTW) - few experienced publishers list their 'best guess' release dates - they list their 'worst case scenario' dates and then everyone is happy when things are released 'early.' There are a couple major game publishers who DON'T do this, and they get a lot of anger and frustration thrown their way on a regular basis because of it.

My bet is, the Beast guys are going, OK, it took 4 months for the first set of books, so even though the subsequent books are unlikely to take as long as the first books, let's tell everyone it'll be four months between sets. And if they are smart, they will stick with that with all their communications with the public, until they get to the point where things are actually going to the printer or whatnot so they can actually give a reasonably firm date.

Not that I know anything, I'm just guessing that this is what I'D do. Still, my potential BA student is only in K, so I've got time :) (Except for their decision to do second grade last, argh!! :( )

Y'know, one thing to keep in mind might be that so far, the Beast Academy people seem to be good about erring on the side of caution. For example, originally the Beast Academy stuff was supposed to be released in summer 2012 - now that's been updated to early-mid March, which is a lot sooner. Quite possibly they are figuring that it's better to promise a conservative, later date estimate, and then release early if possible, than promise the early date and then have unexpected problems and have people howling at them when books are later than expected.

Bad plan...as we're howling now!!! :D

Bill