Menu

What do you think about this book by Timothy Aubrey, Reading as Therapy?

LNC

http://blogs.princeton.edu/paw/2011/03/aubry_03_looks.html

http://www.uiowapress.org/books/2011-spring/reading-therapy.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Therapy-Contemporary-Middle-Class-Americans/dp/1587299550

http://www.bookforum.com/review/7995

I am totally offended by the concept behind the book. Like the intelligentsia class is defining the reading habits of the proletariat or something. Any thoughts?

From the brief glance I've just had, I think it's an interesting idea. I agree that one of the motivations for reading might be for therapeutic reasons, but I think that for most people their enjoyment of literature is more complex than its simply being therapeutic. However, I take no offence whatsoever at this academic's interpretation of a possible role for modern literature in contemporary society.

Best wishes

Cassy

From the brief glance I've just had, I think it's an interesting idea. I agree that one of the motivations for reading might be for therapeutic reasons, but I think that for most people their enjoyment of literature is more complex than its simply being therapeutic. However, I take no offence whatsoever at this academic's interpretation of a possible role for modern literature in contemporary society.

Best wishes

Cassy

The subtitle didn't refer to contemporary society, it referred to "the middle class". But, I'm glad to know it wasn't offensive to you!

I guess I didn't really attach much importance to the idea of it being a 'middle class' phenomenon. As I said, I only gave it a brief glance, and thought it looked interesting. Does Aubry put a lot of emphasis on it being a 'middle class' thing? Or a 'less educated' thing? Is he actually trying to say that the middle classes only read for therapeutic purposes? I'm British, and we can be pretty sensitive about class distinctions, but it seems absurd to suggest that only the 'intelligentsia' have a more sophisticated appreciation of modern literature. Are you his agent :tongue_smilie:? Because I'm really interested to read more now - maybe I'll start by reading those links you posted a bit more carefully :D.

Best wishes

Cassy

Edited by Cassy

I guess I didn't really attach much importance to the idea of it being a 'middle class' phenomenon. As I said, I only gave it a brief glance, and thought it looked interesting. Does Aubry put a lot of emphasis on it being a 'middle class' thing? Or a 'less educated' thing? Is he actually trying to say that the middle classes only read for therapeutic purposes? I'm British, and we can be pretty sensitive about class distinctions, but it seems absurd to suggest that only the 'intelligentsia' have a more sophisticated appreciation of modern literature. Are you his agent :tongue_smilie:? Because I'm really interested to read more now - maybe I'll start by reading those links you posted a bit more carefully :D.

Best wishes

Cassy

No not his agent - ha! A princeton alum passes the link on to me...

Edited by LNC

Thanks for the link. A copy of the book is now en route; bibliotherapy interests me greatly. Related aside: Are you familiar with Some of My Best Friends Are Books and / or The Literature, Arts, and Medicine Database? The former addresses bibliotherapy and giftedness; the latter draws on, well, literature and art to aid research and teaching in the medical humanities.