Menu

s/o Arguments Against Homechooling

I can't blame the school. Just because you provide a quality education, that doesn't mean all homeschool parents manage to do the same. If they want to save the quality spots for known entities, that is their prerogative.

My homeschooled-through-high school cousin received a full-ride scholarship to college and is attending a summer program at Oxford this year. I have a friend whose homeschooled-through-high school (which did include some dual-credit cc courses) dd will be attending Princeton in the fall.

It is fine if you don't want to homeschool your kids for high school. But, I disagree with the implication that it places ivy schools out of reach, and I disagree that the school system should go out of its way to accommodate former homeschoolers whose potential performance may be questionable.

I read your post. I just didn't know what exactly to say.

I sometimes get the impression that for some people life is all about putting in your time (not about anything related to quality or making a difference in the world) and if your time doesn't look as crappy as theirs it isn't fair.

That's all I got. :D

I agree. I assume there may be more hoops or different hoops, but it is not impossible.

In fact, IVY league schools are probably more open minded than state schools (who just want to check boxes).

in red -- LOL --

I guess I was trying to say that I continue to be surprised (maybe not surprised but amoyed) when I get the 'glazed over' look when I say that we homeschool -- the immediate response is that I have to prove that my children are 'learned.' If there is a child from a bricks and mortar school standing right next to us (and at a recent high school open house this was the precise case as we toured the school - two families - bricks and mortar kid and us) and every single teacher we met was quick to dismiss us and strike up a conversation with the other student. He had NOTHING to say and dd12 would pipe in and then the teacher would carry on an intelligent, pleasant convversation with dd.

The attitude, however, is that the homeschooling families come 'after' the bricks and mortar schooled families.

Perhaps I am trying to say that it would be nice if people (and I am a former classroom teacher) would give some latitude, some benefit of the doubt to homeschoolers instead of what I currently see.

Perhaps I am trying to say that it would be nice if people (and I am a former classroom teacher) would give some latitude, some benefit of the doubt to homeschoolers instead of what I currently see.

:iagree:

Sometimes it just gets so tiring and frustrating dispelling the same myths over and over.

My son was going to enroll in one class in our p.s. so he would be able to play sports for the high school. He was undecided which class he wanted to take and requested a meeting with the biology teacher so he could look at the textbooks for the two classes he was deciding between.

After reviewing both textbooks, my son expressed to the teacher which class he would like to take. The teacher's response, that I am sure he has forgotten by now, but I haven't, was, "Well, in my experience, homeschoolers would not have success in this class. Have you ever even used a microscope?"

Needless to say, he decided not to take either one of her classes.

I don't think most people don't know much about homeschooling. Some people assume the opposite (that homeschooling equals kids who are far ahead/advanced).

I think that here in Virginia where it is so easy to homeschool (NOI-wise) it tends to be met with a dismissive attitude -- the only places where I have seen that NOT to be the case are small private schools started by homeschooling parents.

I think I am just re-hashing something that we all know here already, but because it has been in my face so much recently as we tour schools and I get that 'homeschoolers' :glare: stare.

:iagree:

Sometimes it just gets so tiring and frustrating dispelling the same myths over and over.

My son was going to enroll in one class in our p.s. so he would be able to play sports for the high school. He was undecided which class he wanted to take and requested a meeting with the biology teacher so he could look at the textbooks for the two classes he was deciding between.

After reviewing both textbooks, my son expressed to the teacher which class he would like to take. The teacher's response, that I am sure he has forgotten by now, but I haven't, was, "Well, in my experience, homeschoolers would not have success in this class. Have you ever even used a microscope?"

Needless to say, he decided not to take either one of her classes.

Totally understand your son's decision. Your experience is TOTALLY what I am talking about.

Sure, it is tiresome to have to prove oneself over and over. But, I think that comes with the territory when you choose something outside of the box. It might be tiresome, but it is not at all surprising coming from a school. They have to believe in what they do, or how could they do it?[/QUOTE]

in red, that just about sums it up. yes.

And, on the other hand, I have to believe in what I do as a homeschooler or I wouldn't do it? Right? School at home. I guess that's my point - I am looking for something that I really shouldn't expect from a school - the benefit of the doubt. Believe it or not, THAT is an eye-opener for me.

Sure, it is tiresome to have to prove oneself over and over. But, I think that comes with the territory when you choose something outside of the box. It might be tiresome, but it is not at all surprising coming from a school. They have to believe in what they do, or how could they do it?

Doy..I'm on my son's computer (hate his computer). The font is so small I can't read what I wrote after so well. LOL

Why am I on his computer? Because he is on mine! :tongue_smilie:

dd is on mine drafting her opening statement for mock trial. I WANT my computer.