Menu

Feeling lost

mamaof4happykiddos

We have been homeschooling for about a year now. DD is only 5 and I am trying to follow the books guidelines. We are focusing on learning to read well and some simple math.

Here is my dillema; where do I go from here? I bought the classical conversations book but I after looking through it and meeting with a group I just don't feel its what I want to do. I was really excited about it but now feel lost again. I am a bit overwhelmed with curricullum options.

Any suggestions how you can take a classical approach and it be simple? It seems that when I read what people are using there is so much for a small child and it seems like it may be too overwhelming. It is getting close to time and I may be behind on planning, so I am feeling pressured and worried I will not get things ready in time for next year.

Any suggestions on curricullums that are worth looking at that are not to overwhelming? Any suggestions on how not to feel like there is too much to cover?

First, :grouphug:. It can be overwhelming.

Have you read The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer? It has very step-by-step how to implement and what to implement when ideas for every grade, complete with curriculum recommendations. Like many on these boards, I started out following this path pretty tightly, and have branched off from it as I've gotten a little bit more experience and confidence, but for somebody who like some structure and a plan, it can be very reassurring to "see the path," and the book lays out an excellent possible path. Not the only one, to be sure, but a great one. That is where I would start if I were you . . .

And welcome to the Hive! This is a very helpful, very supportive place and you will get lots of your questions answered, and more suggestions than you know what to do with!

I also suggest reading the Well Trained Mind book. It lays things out very well and gives curriculum suggestions (you can use those suggestions as a research starting point - she does NOT list every possible curriculum you could use). Keep the focus of first grade still on the 3R's, but begin to add in history and science for exposure. You can spend as much or as little time on those subjects as your child wants.

Also, pick just one curriculum per subject to start out. Then if you want to add in other things as you gain confidence, that's fine. You don't need 5 different math programs in order to have a good education. ;) Go read a first grade curriculum thread to get some ideas, and pay particular attention to the lists from people you tend to be similar to (ie, if you really enjoy a lot of hands-on, crafty stuff, watch the people who seem to also be into that). As you read the forums more, you'll get a good feel for different posters' personalities.

You have plenty of time! First grade is months away. Take the time to figure out your educational philosophy and research curriculum.

I understand totally. :grouphug:

I have a 5yo too and sometimes the whole homeschooling thing seems overwhelming. A good thing to do would be to check your state's standards and check what it is you have to cover (your "core" subjects). Then you can grab your copy of TWTM and have a good look at what she recommends.

Her suggestions are just that: suggestions. This means you can always come back to this board and talk about all the different curriculum options (or try a "search" to read older threads -very useful). Many of the subject described in TWTM are 'open and go' or 'do the next thing'. So you don't necessarily have to write your own lesson plans.

Above all, take a deep breath. This is my first year too and I found in the beginning I was so wrapped up and tense I was going into a spin. I am learning to relax and go at ds's speed.

Welcome to the Hive!

First, deep breath. Everything will be fine. I've taught 3 1st graders so far with a few more to go. I'm not sure if your dd will be doing K work or 1st grade; so, apply as needed.

I've never bought a pre-packaged curriculum for this age. (Actually any age, but that's neither here nor there.) Phonics, math, and (as appropriate for your child's developmental level) writing are all you really need. So, you've already made a great start. History, science, etc are content areas and are gravy at this age. This isn't to say you shouldn't do anything, but to encourage you that you don't *have* to buy curricula. Check out books and read about whatever catches your dd's fancy. Tall tales and myths (like Johnny Appleseed) are great for this age. For science go to the zoo, botanical gardens, park, even your backyard/neighborhood and look around. Have your dd describe to you the characteristics of a couple of different leaves, for instance, and make a drawing.

My kids work on copy work for LA at this age. Once they can easily write their letters they start with simple phrases and gradually work up to passages from literature, poems, etc.

Cooking/baking are great for math. As are puzzles, tangrams, card games like UNO, etc.

The best advice I can give you is to read a lot about different philosophies and have fun with your dd! You'll find your way. Don't worry about following "the books' guidelines". You're fine.

Guides that have helped me feel less overwhelmed have been The Latin-Centered Curriculum and, more recently, Teaching the Trivium.

:iagree:

I think that once you have the core (The 3 R's) covered then you are basically set.

I felt very overwhelmed when I began to research curriculum, but I ordered catalogs and looked at LOTS of samples. When the catalogs came in the mail, I read every line, highlighted, and then searched for reviews/recommendations. I am a bit OCD, but I looked at everything about three-four different times over the last year.

I would start a simple notebook for yourself- what you like, what you don't like, what your looking for. I would also recommend (if it is possible) a homeschool convention. A larger one will have lots of vendors set up with many many types of curriculum. My DH and I went to one last year and it was very useful for us to actually "hold" the books and flip through them (without having to buy them). I did find some of that a bit overwhelming - there were a lot of suppliers who simply had so much stuff that I felt very overwhelmed. It is also a good idea because you may be able to find a workshop relevant to your concerns.

Oh, and I still get overwhelmed. :) :grouphug:

Classical Conversations stuff got me really overwhelmed, as did veritas press. Now that I have more confidence I can take what I need and leave the rest.

If you work with your child on Math and Reading, you can not ruin their academic career at this point. So take a deep breath.

I was told that a good rule of thumb for the grammar stage (k-4) is 1 hour a day per grade. So about 30 min a day with your kindy student working up to an hour by the end of the year. 1 hour with first, 2 with 2nd etc... This is for the classical learning time (Math, reading, writing, history etc...)

Are you starting 1st grade or kindergarten?

For Math we started Right Start for this preK year, we are going through it really slowly. I chose it as it is very manipulative based. Almost no writing for the student. dd thinks of it as play time. We chose this as I want to do Singapore math with her for 1st grade and from my research Right Start is a good lead in to it.

Maths are different. I really like the Asian Spiral system which is what Right Start, Singapore and Math Mammath are. If you do an advanced search for Math, choose title only and k-8 board you will get so much advice on the different maths out there.

The Well Trained Mind and Latin Centered Curriculum are really good starting points.

At this age I would concentrate on

Math,

Reading,

Handwriting

Maybe throw in additional subjects throughout the year by concentrating on one NON-reading/writing/arithmetic subject per month. Science for 1 month (read books from the library, Usborne books, whatever is of interest), health the next month, history the next month, etc. That way you know you treated all of them at some point during the year, but you aren't worrying about doing them all "every day" or concerning yourself with several "lessons" in one day to start out with.

Right now it will probably be too much to throw yourself and your child into homeschooling for 4 hours a day, so my advice is to keep it simple while you can. As you get more comfortable you will say, hey, this is going pretty well and I found this really cool program, so I think we will start that. Start simple and build on it. Don't feel pressure just yet to memorize poetry, teach latin, spanish, do a science "curriculum," etc, etc. You have plenty of time for your child to benefit from those things. Even later in the year you might feel up to looking at those things, but generally I try not to start too many *new* things at once. It sounds like that's the boat you're in. Tackle the basics and add in one or two, tops, *new* things at a time.

Sometimes better to start out slow than to feel like you have to do so much more (and try it) and bomb or feel like crying every day (yeah, I've done that; It's not fun).

Just a thought.

Good luck!

It is very easy to get caught up in all of the curricula, especially if you frequent these boards. But after doing K with my oldest and having to simplify because I bought too much, here is what I plan to do with my up and coming K'er:

FIAR (includes social studies, language arts, art and science)

SWR (includes handwriting, spelling, reading)

I am not even going to do a K math program, because my ds is very mathy and does a lot on his own. I figure if he can already count, do basic addition, measure with a ruler, knows his shapes, and tell time to the hour, then he is doing fine without a program. I noticed when I did 1st grade math with older dd, all of these things were taught/reviewed at the beginning of that level.

I want my kids to have plenty of time to play, build, read (or be read to), do art, experiment, etc.

If you want straight classical without blowing your mind (or your budget), look at Memoria Press Grade level packages. We just finished Kinder and it was the best year I have had homeschooling in 8 years. Then go on the MP forums, read, ask questions. Tanya is the curriculum person at Mp and she answers personally nearly every post.

http://www.memoriapress.com/descriptions/index_primary.html

A good thing to do would be to check your state's standards and check what it is you have to cover (your "core" subjects). Then you can grab your copy of TWTM and have a good look at what she recommends.

I have actually done this and for our state she is actually a bit ahead even with us not doing anything too formal. In our state I do not have to report until the age of 6 but the cut off for birthdate is in Sept and she is an Oct baby. She will be 6 this Oct so that gives me until next year to actually have to report. That being said, if she were in public school she would be entering kinder this fall (Fall 2012). I think she would be a mesh of Kinder and 1st. We may not have done all the requirements but for the core things listed like, phonics, reading, math and writing we are well ahead. In my state we don't begin to do things like skip counting until the end of 1st grade and we have already learned our 5,10 and 2's. When I read this I felt a little more at ease to our being on track state wise. It may be that I am just having curriculum anxiety, which means I am second guessing my choices. I definitely do not want to do the CC program but what I currently have besides them are; SOTW (I feel this is a great fit for us because we can use it with our bible study and MATH U SEE).

If you want straight classical without blowing your mind (or your budget), look at Memoria Press Grade level packages. We just finished Kinder and it was the best year I have had homeschooling in 8 years. Then go on the MP forums, read, ask questions. Tanya is the curriculum person at Mp and she answers personally nearly every post.

http://www.memoriapress.com/descriptions/index_primary.html

:iagree: These weren't available when we started, but I would have been really tempted by them if they had been!

I also suggest looking at The Latin Centered Curriculum if you want a streamlined classical approach. We have done WTM from the beginning and have been satisfied with our experience. Looking back, though, I think the LCC might have been a better use of our time in early grades.