Menu

I have an idea because I really am trying to get back in bed

*************UPDATE IN POST #37****************

with my husband! :lol::lol: :lol:

We have been sleeping separately for a few years now. Nothing wrong with our marriage but he says I snore and that man is a fidget-er, he moves all night long, even in his sleep! It jolts me awake over and over and over every night.

So, I proposed this idea.....

I will get a CPAP machine, which I am quite sure I need, but I need to get the sleep study done.

But then we still have the issue of his tossing and fidgeting during his sleep.

I want him to build a platform bed out of wood. Something very sturdy and solid (he is a good woodworker so it should be easy, just time consuming) and something that can accommodate a King size bed plus about 8 inches extra wide.

Then, I want to get TWO twin extra long Tempurpedic style mattresses for the top. They can be put side by side but if he fidgets too much, I can pull my mattress apart by a few inches so that I can't feel him moving.

Do you think that will work?

Any other ideas?

Dawn

And could they feel each other move at night?

It would probably work. Many European style "double" beds have two mattresses, and that is what my mom and dad had. They were each separate beds, with separate sheets and separate covers, but pushed together with one headboard.

with my husband! :lol::lol::lol:

We have been sleeping separately for a few years now. Nothing wrong with our marriage but he says I snore and that man is a fidget-er, he moves all night long, even in his sleep! It jolts me awake over and over and over every night.

So, I proposed this idea.....

I will get a CPAP machine, which I am quite sure I need, but I need to get the sleep study done.

But then we still have the issue of his tossing and fidgeting during his sleep.

I want him to build a platform bed out of wood. Something very sturdy and solid (he is a good woodworker so it should be easy, just time consuming) and something that can accommodate a King size bed plus about 8 inches extra wide.

Then, I want to get TWO twin extra long Tempurpedic style mattresses for the top. They can be put side by side but if he fidgets too much, I can pull my mattress apart by a few inches so that I can't feel him moving.

Do you think that will work?

Any other ideas?

Dawn

I'm the figgeter and we have a queen size tempurpedic. DH sleeps much better these days. I wish I'd have thought of the two twins!

The tempurpedic foam mattresses really help stop the feelnig of movement on the bed. I can't stand when dh tosses and turns, but he never wakes me up in our new bed. You may want to go to a mattress store and FEEL the difference before you settle on two beds.

My dh snores and refuses the sleep study. It is SO much fun! :(

I think we will. Although I really don't want DH SEEING the price tag.....best he doesn't know some things.

I keep reminding him that a new mattress is cheaper than adding a room on to the house!

Dawn

The tempurpedic foam mattresses really help stop the feelnig of movement on the bed. I can't stand when dh tosses and turns, but he never wakes me up in our new bed. You may want to go to a mattress store and FEEL the difference before you settle on two beds.

My dh snores and refuses the sleep study. It is SO much fun! :(

We have a sleep number king bed that is two seperate twins. Each bed can raise and lower independently ( we have old people beds) :001_smile: Each twin has its own fitted sheet, but we use one top sheet that is really large (made for this kind of bed). So yes we can still touch each other at night - and I can get my feet warmed as needed during the night :lol:

As an aside - my husband's snoring has decreased dramatically and my back pain is gone.

Two XL Twins is probably cheaper than a King mattress anyway.

HOWEVER, newer mattresses are really good at isolating movement.

Try out some mattresses in a store before deciding that a new King-size mattress is out of the question.

Dawn, do you know the cause of your snoring?

If your DH fidgets a lot at night, he may also benefit from a sleep study. Fidgeters may suffer from sleep apnea, even without loud snoring.

Edited by jplain

My only thought was that if the platform extended beyond the mattress, getting in and out of bed could conceivably be painful. If I had that, I know I would always be knocking my knees or shins on the wood. Also, what would keep the two mattresses from sliding apart unintentionally. Let’s say it’s tEa time and suddenly you are on wood instead of mattress in the middle of the platform.:tongue_smilie: Leave it to me to think of these things...:lol:

i had to get a cpap machine and it's made a difference-sending my dh to be tested later this year for one.....we slept apart for a couple of years too but it was more to do with dh's work schedule than anything else---but man it sure was nice to not have to try to sleep with all of his snoring! LOL I tell you my husband snores like a MOOSE! he came back to our bed over a year ago-said he was tired of the couch....lol

Probably two things are the cause of my snoring. A deviated septum that they said would possibly NOT be cured through surgery because of the way it is deviated, and my weight gain.

Dawn

Two XL Twins is probably cheaper than a King mattress anyway.

HOWEVER, newer mattresses are really good at isolating movement.

Try out some mattresses in a store before deciding that a new King-size mattress is out of the question.

Dawn, do you know the cause of your snoring?

If your DH fidgets a lot at night, he may also benefit from a sleep study. Fidgeters may suffer from sleep apnea, even without loud snoring.

well, if the wood isn't too "slippery" and the mattresses are temperpedic, wouldn't they "stick" better?

I would think you would have to physically get up and pull to get them apart as they aren't slippery.

Dawn

My only thought was that if the platform extended beyond the mattress, getting in and out of bed could conceivably be painful. If I had that, I know I would always be knocking my knees or shins on the wood. Also, what would keep the two mattresses from sliding apart unintentionally. Let’s say it’s tEa time and suddenly you are on wood instead of mattress in the middle of the platform.:tongue_smilie: Leave it to me to think of these things...:lol:

And that is another reason for me thinking two XL twins.....so that we can separate them if need be.

Dawn

Depends on how much your dh "fidgets." My sil has Restless Leg Syndrome. She and her dh tried the CalKing for many years. But they ended up separating the beds and putting them head-to-toe. They sleep much better with that arrangement.

Dawn it might be better to make two separate platform beds for the XL twin mattresses. That way none of his movements would transfer to your side of the bed as you could separate them by an inch or so. I think using a common headboard would make it look just like a king bed. Good foam mattresses do an incredible job of helping those who are fidgety to not need to fidget and also making motion not travel to other areas of the bed. You can get some great memory foam mattresses for much less than the name brand - Costco sells some that are great.

For those of you planning on getting sleep tests done or sending your husband, just know that you won't be able to get life insurance forever once that is in their medical record. My dh works for a huge life ins co and he says you can be a tobacco chewer, or have adult onset diabetes and you can get standard coverage, heck you can even be a former heroin addict, but once you get hooked up to that sleep test machine, you will be denied forever. I wish more people knew this.

For those of you planning on getting sleep tests done or sending your husband, just know that you won't be able to get life insurance forever once that is in their medical record. My dh works for a huge life ins co and he says you can be a tobacco chewer, or have adult onset diabetes and you can get standard coverage, heck you can even be a former heroin addict, but once you get hooked up to that sleep test machine, you will be denied forever. I wish more people knew this.

Interesting...can you tell me anymore about this? If you already have a life insurance policy, getting a sleep study wouldn't affect things, right? (I have a sleep study coming up....)

Pay for the sleep study yourself, then it shouldn't be reported. What you pay is private information.

You can get knock off brands of memory foam from many places online. Costco has good memory foam mattresses (Novaform) as well. And memory foam is lighter and can be folded in half to get up stairs.

Pay for the sleep study yourself, then it shouldn't be reported. What you pay is private information.

You can get knock off brands of memory foam from many places online. Costco has good memory foam mattresses (Novaform) as well. And memory foam is lighter and can be folded in half to get up stairs.

Another vote for the Costco matresses. That's what we have and we love them!!! They're a fraction of the cost of "name brand" ones but so comfortable.

Exact same situation here. I snore, and dh is a tosser. We got a good mattress where I cannot feel the him move about and he wears earplugs. He also shakes me if I get in a bad snoring position. He moans in his sleep now so I shake him when it wakes me.

I was all for separate beds at one time, my dh was not so we found a solution. Plus, we have a noise machine.

Really? Denied forever

Edited by DawnM

Ok, so what about this?

Can you just get a CPAP machine and use it and calibrate it yourself? It sets from 1-10, right? Can't you just start with a 4 or 5 and then figure out what works best for you?

I see used CPAPs all the time on CL, most state their insurance is paying for a new one and that is why they are selling.....some even come with a new mask, but I could buy a new one of those.

Dawn

Not yet, we have just started talking about all of this and how to make it work.

We have a CA King in there right now and it has a latex topper that is still in excellent condition. That could feasibly work on a platform as I really think it is the spring mattress that makes it shake. The topper is 5".

Dh also suggested we just put a another bed in there (twin) as it is a very large room, and I could move if he shakes too much.

We could try the topper directly on the floor together first and see I suppose.

Dawn

As someone mentioned, European mattresses used to be like this. Have you checked out those mattresses that are supposed to transmit minimal movement from one side to the other?

Ok, so what about this?

Can you just get a CPAP machine and use it and calibrate it yourself? It sets from 1-10, right? Can't you just start with a 4 or 5 and then figure out what works best for you?

I see used CPAPs all the time on CL, most state their insurance is paying for a new one and that is why they are selling.....some even come with a new mask, but I could buy a new one of those.

Dawn

Do not calibrate it yourself. You need to know what pressure setting from your test that makes your heart and lungs perform the best. You can do damage with the wrong pressure. The pressures can go up to 16. DH calibrates his own machine up or down depending on weight loss/gain under his doctors care. But the sleep doctor is informed of if he changes the pressure and keeps the info in his chart.

Maybe for one company but not for all. This is not factual at all.

WE have two double beds. Sometimes we sleep with our head on one, and our feet on another.

Sometimes I have my own bed, he has his. We can always snuggle up to a person and then just roll over and have our own bed. (In theory.... You can still be snuggled off your bed. But then just get up and walk over and claim his bed. :))

My hubby has a CPAP and he has a policy through work and a seperate policy. That has never been a problem for us. Bi-polar on the other hand makes it pretty much impossible to get coverage even if you are stable and have never been a danger to yourself or others.

Are they tempurpedic or just regular mattresses?

Dawn

WE have two double beds. Sometimes we sleep with our head on one, and our feet on another.

Sometimes I have my own bed, he has his. We can always snuggle up to a person and then just roll over and have our own bed. (In theory.... You can still be snuggled off your bed. But then just get up and walk over and claim his bed. :))

Are they tempurpedic or just regular mattresses?

Dawn

I have no idea, so I'm guessing regular.

They do have handles on the side to make moving them easier. Which is good since my boys are using them for jumping on, against, climbing on... Two days ago they put on one the stairs. :001_huh: I let dh make the bed that night.

Ok, if they aren't foam they are regular. You would know if you had tempur pedic. For one thing, you would have paid through the nose for them! :lol:

So, aren't they hard on the ends? My regular mattresses have a large seam that goes all the way around.....

Dawn

I have no idea, so I'm guessing regular.

They do have handles on the side to make moving them easier. Which is good since my boys are using them for jumping on, against, climbing on... Two days ago they put on one the stairs. :001_huh: I let dh make the bed that night.

• 1 year later...

Well, we waited over a year and finally got a split King Bed.

We have been in the same room for 5 nights so far and so far so good!  

Long story short, some friends of friends were selling theirs and it was an older couple in a posh retirement community that slept on the beds all of 3 months per year for 4 years because 9 months per year they travel in their motor home.   We bought them for $600 but he gave me their original receipt, it was $5,000.  

This is a much cheaper option than adding on more bedrooms to our house!

They also have those adjustable bases with the legs and feet raises......I love it!

That is a good point.  Our staircase is rather narrow.  However, in this house, the master BR is downstairs.

The other nice thing is that if we decide to get new beds, these can be used separately.

Dawn

We had a split king for a while, because when we moved into our first house, our queen mattress wouldn't fit up the stairs, but two twins did. It was a nice arrangement, and the extra space plus the separate mattresses did help us not to notice movements as much.