Menu

Is this something to be concerned about?

Dd had her teeth cleaned this week and experienced something worse than she ever remembers before. She said that the sounds from the scraping were about to drive her crazy, sending chills down her back, and she wanted to run out of there. We somehow missed her 6 month cleaning, so it had been a year, but she's had her teeth cleaned since she was little.

As I'm writing this, I'm wondering about something. She started using ear buds a lot more in the last year because we got a laptop and use it in the car for long trips and she got an Ipod touch. Is this possibly a hearing issue?

She's actually become more sensitive to things like that in the last year or two. She says she also has to be constantly moving. She's learned to make very small movements that aren't noticeable, but she's moving something most of the time.

Any thoughts?

Me, me!! Though it has nothing to do with hearing. It has everything to do with HATING it. I was fine most of my childhood, but the older I got, the worse it got. It probably kicked in around 14-15yr old. Maybe they go in a little "deeper" around that age?!? I don't know.

It's bad enough now that I haven't been to a dentist in probably 7+ years. I'm THAT scared of having my teeth cleaned. I hate it so much.

Ask your dentist if they have changed cleaning tools. I had a cleaning about 2 months ago. The tool they used sounded like the dental drill. It had me on edge the whole time. She said it was a new tool. It would be helpful if I could remember what it is called, but I don't. Sorry. Anyhow, your office may have changed too. It is awful, and I told her so.:glare:

I hate that scraping too. I get the chills reading about it too. I absolutely hate the dentist! The difference between 6 months between cleanings and a year is huge for me in terms of how much work they need to do. Also flossing makes a huge difference in my life. If I get in every 6 months and floss, the scraping part goes MUCH easier than if I wait longer or get lazy with the flossing. I've watched them scrape my kids teeth and it takes like 2 seconds. I don't know if it's some people's teeth or you get more build up as you age. But I wouldn't suspect a hearing thing. I'd encourage her to floss daily and get her in for a 6 month cleaning and see how that appointment goes.

The ultrasonic cleaning device they use on me makes me want to climb out of the chair; it's not just a sound to me - it's a painful sensation in my ears.

I've always been sensitive to certain frequencies of sound and can hear things like televisions with the sound muted (the traditional tube type), and burglar alarm systems in some stores.

The ultrasonic cleaning device they use on me makes me want to climb out of the chair; it's not just a sound to me - it's a painful sensation in my ears.

I've always been sensitive to certain frequencies of sound and can hear things like televisions with the sound muted (the traditional tube type), and burglar alarm systems in some stores.

I can hear TVs too!! Well, feel them is probably more accurate. It's a combination I guess.

Me too. It's horrible. Sounds like the tv is screaming, imo. I have a hard time coping w/ noise that most people don't even notice.... :blink:

As for the teeth cleaning, could it be that your dd is starting to get a sinus infection? When I get them, I feel it in my teeth first. It's like I'm totally on edge because of the sensation in my teeth. Could it be that she has an infection & the scraping was bothersome/amplified because of that...??? Maybe they were scraping harder than normal?

depending upon the music she's listening to and the quality of the earbuds - yes, using earbuds can change things that will then sensorily affect her.

Several of my children (starting with my aspie) did a therapy that invovled high frequency sound waves with headphones for two-hours a day. the aim is that the sound waves will move things to help desensitize them. It would be logical that other sound waves could make things worse.

Yes! I think this is what they called the new cleaning technique at my dentist. It was awful! I asked if I could have the old method and was told no. She said it is much more effective, and that everyone complains about the sound.

Another possible contributor to the bad dental cleaning experience is age. According to my dentist, most kids get practically no tartar buildup. During puberty that changes, and we have to deal with the scraping from then on. Blech. You might change to a tartar control toothpaste if yours isn't, and I agree with the suggestions about flossing and making sure not to miss the 6-month appointments.

I don't know about the earbuds or the "constantly moving" thing. Maybe something to ask her doctor about at her next checkup?