Menu

I need advice on what do to for school next year

I'm going to finish off this school year. We are on week 24, so we have 12 more weeks that we need to finish. Things are bad and uncertain and as much as I want to continue to homeschool, I'm not sure it would be the right choice based on current circumstances.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? I'm really torn, but I guess I really don't have a choice but to put my dc into public school next year. Or could I make it work?

Honestly, I would not make any decisions right now. A lot can change in 12 weeks, you may know better what your options will be. Unless you would be thinking private school when enrollment is an issue.

Hopefully others with more experience in your situation will chime in. :grouphug:

If it were me, I would probably research requirements for public school enrollment, but leave all doors opens. Fall is a long way off in many ways.

:iagree: Enrolling in ps can be done at the last minute, by simply walking in the door.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Honestly, I would not make any decisions right now. A lot can change in 12 weeks, you may know better what your options will be. Unless you would be thinking private school when enrollment is an issue.

Hopefully others with more experience in your situation will chime in. :grouphug:

If it were me, I would probably research requirements for public school enrollment, but leave all doors opens. Fall is a long way off in many ways.

I also suggest to just wait for now. You can walk in public school any day and they will take you. If, come July, you feel collected enough to homeschool another year, then it probably won't be a long wait for any new books you want to order. Plus, homeschooling's beauty is that you can find learning opportunities everywhere till you're sure of what you want. But, for now, wait.

I'm going to finish off this school year. We are on week 24, so we have 12 more weeks that we need to finish. Things are bad and uncertain and as much as I want to continue to homeschool, I'm not sure it would be the right choice based on current circumstances.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? I'm really torn, but I guess I really don't have a choice but to put my dc into public school next year. Or could I make it work?

PS is not the end of the world. :grouphug:

For right now I would focus on getting all vaccinations in order. Do you have any LD's that need to be accommodated? Backpacks, school clothing, lunch boxes or qualify for assistance?

The school system can provide a lot of support for kids going through similar situations. There will be a school counselor and teachers. There will also be other kids going through similar situations.

I do not know what impression your kids have of ps. That will be a large determining factor in how scary the transition might be. Children move at all times of the year.

One thing to think about is if the school is in a testing phase, and how familiar your children are with taking tests.

My kids transitioned at the beginning of January. It hasn't been all roses, but they are doing well. For us it was a month long process getting them in. The only way they will take them the day of is if you walk in with all the necessary information.

Take care of you! and feel free to pm me with any further questions.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Yeah, I have no idea what is going on, so no real advice, BUT......

If your "bad" includes possibly ripping the kids out of said PS to move away, I wouldn't do it.

There are many times I have actually looked at a workbook approach when I am just plain DONE with fighting the kids to get their work done. You know, a "go do lesson 34 in each Lifepac and when I have checked it and you have corrected your answers, THEN you can play legos, play YuGiOh games, play Skylanders, or whatever!"

So, you might look into something they can do more independently for a while.

Dawn

Your post is pretty cryptic. I don't want to guess what the situation is, but do whatever you have to do to improve your situation. Don't feel bad about it. :grouphug:

A friend went through a similar situation; she also has 4 dc. She still homeschooled at first. It helped that they were able to stay in their house. She decided to go back to school to get her degree. At first she put 2 of the 4 dc into public school but eventually (a couple years later) had all 4 enrolled. Her dc were much older than yours are, though. I think her youngest was in 4th grade, so he was in 6th by the time he went to ps.

If it is financially possible perhaps consider continuing to homeschool, at least in the beginning. Then when things are a little more stable you can consider your long-term options.

:grouphug:

Thank you all for your advice. I thankfully have most of what I need for next year already, so I don't need to worry about finding a way to come up with the things we need.

My other two threads got deleted, but if someone here who has been through something like this could PM so we can talk, I'd appreciate it. If you're also a military wife or have been one when you went through it, that would be great.

It's kinda hard to ask for support if I have to be so vague about it all. :)

Your post is pretty cryptic. I don't want to guess what the situation is, but do whatever you have to do to improve your situation. Don't feel bad about it. :grouphug:

:iagree: It really depends on circumstances. Good luck with making decisions. :grouphug: