Menu

Montessori Homeschoolers Chime in Please

mom2bee

I'm interested in finding more Montessori home-schoolers and am having trouble tracking them down over the internet. I have found a few blogs with Montessori inspired nursery or preschool stuff going on in the home, but they aren't like a blog of a homeschoolers day-to-day or grade by grade day.

Where can I go to find them, or is there a list of blogs that someone could link me to to start my search.

It's funny that you mention that because I was just thinking that the Montessori sites I go to are all for preschool aged children. I don't know any off the top of my head that have older children. Granted, I probably haven't searched enough but I would also like to hear if anyone knows of some.

Is there a specific age-range you're interested in?

http://www.livingmontessorinow.com is a good site to search for specific types of activities (sandpaper letters, numerals and counters, etc). She also features a ton of Godly Play/CGS ideas, if you're into that.

Discoverydaysandmontessorimoments.blogspot.com is a younger age-group blog (prek through lower elementary), but she has great posts of "what we did today/this week".

If you go to montessoritraining.blogspor.com, you can search for "lower elementary" (6-9) or "upper elementary" (9-12) and sift through for ideas aimed at those age ranges.

Chasingcheerios.blogspot has younger girls, but some of her stuff (ie, DIY montessori multiplication board) could easily be applied to older kids.

Is there a specific age-range you're interested in?

I guess ages 3-9ish. I'm looking more and more into Montessori preschool/kindergarten and I really love the philosophy and methodology and have read a few books about it, but never implemented it or even tried to. It just seems so...big, I guess.

But I would like to use the Montessori style to study Geography for myself and maybe put together a nice geography unit for some kids to use over the summer.

If you go to http://www.livingmontessorinow.com, check out her June 6, 2011 (can't copy links from my Nook, or I'd link it myself). She highlights some of the best Montessori Continent Boxes on the internet. There are links from tons of blogs (I love the links to Counting Coconuts blog!).

An easy resource for Montessori continent materials is Montessori Print Shop. They have printable cards that you can purchase and download for most continents - food, animals, flags/countries, musical instruments, landmarks, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
I guess ages 3-9ish. I'm looking more and more into Montessori preschool/kindergarten and I really love the philosophy and methodology and have read a few books about it, but never implemented it or even tried to. It just seems so...big, I guess.

But I would like to use the Montessori style to study Geography for myself and maybe put together a nice geography unit for some kids to use over the summer.

If you join the Yahoo group Montessori By Hand, you have access to free albums (language, practical life, sensorial, math) from Meg, the founder of the group and AMI certified Montessori teacher. These are fantastic. I actually referred to her albums and Gettman's Basic Montessori for Under Fives almost exclusively in the beginning and that really helped me get my bearings.

I have a blog where I talk about our Montessori adventures, though, unfortunately, I don't blog regularly, but I do have many links to others who do ( http://maybemontessori.blogspot.com ). Also I second going to whatdidwedoallday.blogspot.com and Living Montessori Now. They both have so many resources, links, and posts that you won't want to stop reading.

As for Montessori Geography, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! And so do my kids. I was always horrible at Geography b/c it was never deemed important enough in my years at PS (in an honors program no less!). Which results in much frustration and embarrassment on my part. So I feel like I'm learning right along with them and it's so exciting :)

I love the Montessori philosophy... but in its truest form, it's not really suited for homeschooling. I suspect you're having trouble finding information about it in a homeschooling context because some of the key features of Montessori are specific aged classrooms (3-6, 6-9, 9-12...) with students working together, normalization of students, and hands on materials across subjects that are outside of the range of most budgets...

I think you can be a "Montessori-inspired" homeschooler, but a lot of what makes Montessori amazing is how the classroom as a whole works together. It's just hard to take that element out. I'd definitely recommend reading "Montessori: The science behind the genius" if you haven't already. Also... check out some good quality elementary Montessori classrooms (AMS or AMI certified if possible) to understand what goes on in a class that makes it different from other educational philosophies.