Menu

Does anyone else think CLE 6 moves super slow compared to the other levels?

I looked through every Light Unit today in Grade 6 and it just seems really slow and tons of review, and the new material doesn't seem to be very good. I was hoping they would start a bit more pre-algebra type things, etc.

For instance, we usually skip the -01 levels anyway, but even in the 602 it was a TON of review.

(We have used CLE since second half of Grade 1)

xpost

Hmm, that is interesting.

I wonder if it is so they have everything down SOLID prior to going into pre-algebra? Maybe it's me but I've always thought CLE to be a little more advanced than some other math programs in the first place.

We are doing 5th this year so I guess I need to evaluate where we are.

Hmm, that is interesting.

I wonder if it is so they have everything down SOLID prior to going into pre-algebra? Maybe it's me but I've always thought CLE to be a little more advanced than some other math programs in the first place.

We are doing 5th this year so I guess I need to evaluate where we are.

We are doing CLE 5 this year and I'm pretty convinced after we are finished she would ready to move into Algebra. CLE makes certain a child has plenty of review and are solid in their arithmetic. We will probably do a formal pre-algebra over the summer to "make sure".

The more I look at samples of CLE 6, the more I'm convinced it probably isn't necessary.

Anyone have experience with CLE 7?

I think CLE 6 and 7 prepare very well for both algebra and geometry. I'm amazed when I look through the Chalkdust Algebra 1&2 combo book how well prepared she is. I'm taking my daughter from CLE 7 to Algebra next year. My son is using CLE a grade ahead, and though I don't think he needs CLE 8 in 7th grade - I may have him use it just to allow his brain to mature a bit before changing textbook methods to Chalkdust.

I'm glad it's not just me!

I plan to have her move quickly thru CLE6 from now til end of summer to finish-skipped 601, skip tests and quizzes, but do all lessons-that makes 104 more lessons (she already did 602) so that seems doable. I think it will shore up any weak spots, so it's worth it. She is still a little shaky on long division.

I think we'll do CLE7 next yr as prealg but in conjunction w/ Hands On Equations and LOF PreAlg for fun. We are also cherry picking through MM (word probs, etc) a few days/wk, so we'll finish that between this yr and next yr too.