Menu

Alternatives to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons?

Halcyon

Book:

The Reading Lesson based on 100EZ but in my opinion waaay better because it is more polished looking, just as gentle and gets the kids to the same place (or better) in rougly the same amount of time. Sample downloads. The first 2 lessons seem super simple (and they are!) but by the time you get to lesson 20 you are reading :). You can see a few videos of the program in action on

Software:

Funnix tonight is the last night of a promotion they are doing and you can download it for free, www.funnix.com this is the last night of the download so either call your friend on the phone or something and tell her to go sign up (it takes about 2 minutes.) or sign up yourself and forward the email to her or if you know her email you can sign her up so that she will get the download.

Free supplemental Websites

Starfall

Reading Bear

Progressive Phonics

Edited by mom2bee
dont ask why I didn't include links to the websites, I have no idea myself....

thanks for these ideas. We too, can't stand 100 easy lessons.

Ha, I don't get it myself. I have had students tearfully beg NOT to do 100ez and yet now my 3.5 yo is practically in mourning at the loss of his beloved Phonics Book...

Guess this is what people mean when they say different approaches for different kids at every age, stage and grade, huh?

The Reading Lesson is the only thing that seems to be soothing 3.5 yo's soul.

He kept asking for "computer phonics" and I couldn't figure out what he meant thinking he meant something from Youtube, starfall or readingbear. Then I remembered that I had used the TRL pdfs with him a few times in the past...the things that kids remember.

The link for blend phonics was a dead end, I adjusted it in this quote to go to the page on Don Potters page.

Thank you! Don Potter used to own that web site, but I guess he has let it lapse. In any case, his main web site has all the necessary info on Blend Phonics.

We used Explode the Code, Bob books, leveled readers from the library, a pack of Dolch sight word flashcards and the re-issues of Dick and Jane. I would also write short simple stories using words she knew along with the names of family, friends and pets. I did one sentence per page and, if she could read the sentence, she was allowed to illustrate the page. We played a game with the flashcards where she kept the ones she could read and I kept the others. It worked well with her competitive streak:).

My daughter hated both Phonics Pathways and 100EZL--the mix of phonics and high frequency sight words was great for her. That allowed her to do what she considered "real reading" (which the Bob books didn't) of somewhat more complex sentences (with words like mother, father, said, love, etc earlier than the phonics program introduced them). We still covered all the same words in phonics as they arrived and I didn't use methods like guessing by word shapes. The Dick and Jane bolstered her confidence and fluency enough that she was willing to read aloud to someone other than me. Despite many dire predictions of the long-term effects of "polluting" with sight words;), she's taking the EXPLORE test out of level tomorrow through the Duke Talent Identification Program based on her reading and language scores, so she's not had a problem. We predate OPGTR, so haven't seen it.

I'm using Hooked on Phonics but strongly suggest phonemic awareness lessons first. We were just discussing this on a different thread, how there's not much out there that explicitly teaches phonemic awareness skills. Those skills may have to be taught by mom on her own.

My kids, after six months of phonemic awareness lessons, soared through HOP K and are halfway through HOP1 (after beginning HOP1 just this past January).

We've added All About Spelling and so far, up to step 9, much of it has been redundant. We are continuing step by step, just to make sure we haven't forgotten anything and to reinforce those few concepts that WERE new in the first few steps of AAS.

I picked up AAR pre-level 1 about two months ago and I was not impressed with it. So far, I feel like AAS could stand on it's own as a reading and spelling program, with just a bit of extra work from the teacher.

True. The child definitely needs to know his/her letters and sounds well. That's a must with HOP.

I'm using Hooked on Phonics but strongly suggest phonemic awareness lessons first. We were just discussing this on a different thread, how there's not much out there that explicitly teaches phonemic awareness skills. Those skills may have to be taught by mom on her own.

My kids, after six months of phonemic awareness lessons, soared through HOP K and are halfway through HOP1 (after beginning HOP1 just this past January).

We've added All About Spelling and so far, up to step 9, much of it has been redundant. We are continuing step by step, just to make sure we haven't forgotten anything and to reinforce those few concepts that WERE new in the first few steps of AAS.

I picked up AAR pre-level 1 about two months ago and I was not impressed with it. So far, I feel like AAS could stand on it's own as a reading and spelling program, with just a bit of extra work from the teacher.

I vote for All About Reading! I just started it with my daughter and I'm thinking why o why wasn't this around when I was torturing my first child with 100EZ?

AAR is so different from 100EZ (and way, way more fun) that I think it would be a good move.

OR she could also go right to beginning readers that are like a phonics program in and of themselves because they introduce only one or 2 sounds at a time. This is what the BOB books do, and the Now I'm Reading! books do. In the latter set, the kid puts a sticker in each book they read (and hence each sound you've covered). This might be a welcome change from 100EZ.