Menu

Learning to play an instrument at 5 or 6 years old?

JRmommy

My 5.5 year old son really wants to take lessons! Ever since he was a young toddler, he has always made musical sounds with his voice. When he walks, he makes a corresponding beat to his pace. When he dances, he makes music/beats with his mouth. When he plays with his toys, he is always making some type of musical sound. I'm sure you getting the picture, here. He is definitely an auditory learner and has also learned well with music and songs. Lately he has been beating on everything like it is a drum. He can really keep a nice rhythm. My husband and I aren't musically inclined whatsoever. My plan was to put him in piano lessons at 7 years old. He begs almost daily to learn how to play the drums or guitar. My husband found someone who is willing to teach him to play the drums. We just have to buy a junior sized drum set. Knowing nothing about music or playing an instrument, I have a couple of questions:

Is it necessary/easier to start off with the piano before learning another instrument?

Is he too young?

What experiences have you had with your young children that seem to have an interest (and maybe even some talent) in playing an instrument?

I think piano is an excellent gateway instrument. It's easy to learn how to read music on the piano (it makes more sense why the notes go A-G, then start over at A again - you can see it right there on the piano keys). It's also easier to make a nice sound than some of the other instruments (some instruments are very painful sounding in the beginner stages... I remember my sister learning clarinet... "screech!" :D).

Some piano teachers teach kids as young as 4, and some prefer older kids. I started at age 6 myself (my mom is an organist and had all of us take at least a couple years of piano lessons, and we all went to different instruments in the middle school years - clarinet, guitar, and trombone). While I only took lessons for a couple years, I'm so glad I learned piano first. I had a much easier time in band because I had a good foundation of music theory in general. I could focus more on how to make a particular note on the trombone, where to put the slide, etc. I was also easily able to pick up any other instrument, even if it was in a different clef. My piano days had taught me both treble and bass clef.

We're getting a piano soon, and my kids will be learning piano right away (well, I'll start the older 2 with learning... will probably wait a little bit on the 2 year old, though as quick as he learns everything else, he might start earlier than I intend :tongue_smilie:). As they get older, if they want to learn a different instrument, they're welcome to... as long as it isn't a sax. :lol:

My two oldest children started official piano lessons at 5 (as opposed to music appreciation which they started at 4).

I think piano is a great way to learn music theory, musical notes, etc.

Many of my friends, however, also do violin at that age. It is especially popular to do the Suzuki method with violin at a young age.

Either way, having kids do some kind of music at a young age will benefit them.

My oldest son, who turns eight in a few more months, started his piano lessons two and a halfish years ago, when he was about five and a quarter. He loves his piano, and he's so good at it. (I'd love to say he gets it from his father's side, or that it skips a generation on mine, but the truth appears to be that I am the most unmusical person on either side, here. So very sad.) So in our case, it was definitely not too young!

I highly recommend Faber & Faber's Piano Adventures series, if your piano teacher lets you choose or offers it as an option. It's awesome--and it's awesome to listen to right from the start. (When I had piano lessons as a child, we were using the Schaum series. The first book was both boring and painful. That's never an issue with PA, in my experience.)

My now 7yo started asking at 4 to learn to play the violin. I think he got the idea off of the Baby Einstein/Litle Einsteins videos. We thought it would pass, but 2 years later he was still asking. Just after his 6th birthday we put him in lessons. He doesn't want to practice, but he loves going to his lessons. He has been playing almost a year and a half. He is working on Ode to Joy for his next concert and the Star Wars theme for fun. It has been good for him in so many ways, and we are planning on putting our younger son into lessons this fall. He hasn't chosen what he wants to learn to play yet, but I think he will choose either drums or guitar.

DS started violin at 4. not a problem. focused, interested..

DD just started violin and she just turn 4. she can't focus like ds at the same age, her tiny fingers can't put on right spot, and she didn't want to do it. so we stopped violin and try piano. so far it goes well. i don't ask her to practice. Really just want her to expose to the idea of playing a instrument.

I supposed each child is different and you got to try to know

I am hoping to get DS into Piano soon...I've heard, like boscopup mentioned, that piano is a good foundation for any instrument.

Slightly OT - do those of you who are currently (or were) doing piano find that you need a piano at home for things to really "stick"? I don't see us having a piano ANYTIME soon...he's got a tiny keyboard thing, but not even close to an 88 key...

I would recommend piano before drums. While he will learn rhythm with drums, he will learn to read music (in addition to rhythm) with piano which will transfer more easily to any other instrument.

As for age, I started piano at age 4 (played continuously through about age 17 and University Adjudication Level 8, also the daughter of a Professional Music Teacher) and had no problems, but ds would have been a disaster prior to age 7. It just depends on the kid and the teacher.

The teachers I interviewed in my area preferred students to be age 8 and reading fluently. Ds's teacher took him at 7 with the condition that I sit in on the lessons and follow up with appropriate technique and practice at home. I don't think she would have taken him if I didn't have a strong piano background. Her feeling was that it is just too hard for younger students to remember technique, as well as learning to read music, and practicing tempo without the reinforcement of a parent who has had some prior music experience. Our teacher is not a Suzuki teacher, but these are just some thoughts to consider as you start the journey for a teacher.

I was so excited for ds to start young as well, but I am really glad we waited and he has been so successful with piano this year. He even asks to start each day with piano. Good luck with the decision!

Edited by FairProspects

I am hoping to get DS into Piano soon...I've heard, like boscopup mentioned, that piano is a good foundation for any instrument.

Slightly OT - do those of you who are currently (or were) doing piano find that you need a piano at home for things to really "stick"? I don't see us having a piano ANYTIME soon...he's got a tiny keyboard thing, but not even close to an 88 key...

I think you could wait a bit for an actual piano because it takes a while to use the whole keyboard anyway.

Eventually though (and depending on how fast your ds picks it up), you'd need to have at least a digital piano with weighted keys. Those are still pretty pricey . . . .

My 3 year old, 5 year old, 7 year old, and 10 year old all play Suzuki violin. And my 2 year old is asking for her own violin too. I HIGHLY recommend it. That being said, I think starting piano once they can read is also essential. I really like the idea of them doing regular piano (non-Suzuki method) for the music theory and the Suzuki method (doesn't matter the instrument) for the ear training......

My 5.5 yr old has been taking Suzuki piano for 1.5 yrs. I enrolled him because he was competely.NOT.musical. I can't even begin to express truly how NOT musical he was! He was not tone-deaf, he was music-deaf. He could recite tons of song lyrics but literally didn't notice they were sung to a tune and rhythm!

BUT... Piano is going GREAT. We work hard at it, but DS is doing SO well and LOVES it.

I can only imagine how much better it goes with kids who actually start with talent and interest, rather than my DS who started with a severe deficit of both! So I say - Go for it! I'm partial to piano first, myself, just because I think it provides such a broad experience. But really, if your child is interested, I'd sign him up in a heartbeat!

DS started at 4 after first asking at 2 and continuing to ask regularly until I finally looked into it for him. The only issue the teacher we finally went with was that he be able to read fluently, and that he was keen - once she confirmed he could do that she was happy to take him. He loves it, and practices diligently every day. Often. Every. single. day. lol... can you tell I'm really glad classes have started again for the year so I can stop hearing the same five songs over and over?

My younger DD has always had an interest in music. I put her in Suzuki piano when she was 4, almost 5. When I was looking at piano teachers, the Suzuki teacher was the only one who welcomed the idea of a 4 year old; other teachers were really hesitant about teaching that age.

DD didn't show a preference for an instrument, so I chose piano for her for the same reasons that others have mentioned.

While I really like the piano, and musically it would probably be better for your son to start with the piano, I say let him play what he is begging you to play. My children seem to practice so much better when it is something that they chose rather than something that I chose for them. Now that I am letting them choose, I have one boy playing the guitar, one the piano, and one the violin. The boy playing the violin just turned 7 last week. He begged me for almost two years to play the violin. We began in January and he is progressing and practicing nicely!

My DS now 5 started Suzuki Piano couple months before he turned 5. He loves it. He has good sense of rhythm... Suzuki teaches by ear at young age, you have to listen to the accompanying musical CD. If your son is very musical, he will enjoy playing on instruments.

Music uses both sides of the brain, a fact that makes it valuable in all areas of development and trains the brain for higher forms of thinking. Music also affects the growth of a child’s brain academically, emotionally, physically and spiritually.

My daughter started violin just before her third birthday and piano at 4.5. It is awesome but a lot of commitment and work. It's been the best decision of my parenting life. Her teachers use the Suzuki method. I recommend reading one of Dr Suzuki's books. They are inspirational. Go to the official Suzuki website for a link to accredited teachers by zip code. The method is for string instruments : piano, violin, guitar, cello... Go to YouTube and watch videos of the kids. They are incredible.

Take care,

I learned to play the trombone through school - I know nothing about lessons- so you can take this with a grain of salt. But the nice thing about drums is that the initial learning curve is not very steep. You just beat on them. If I were in your place I would buy him a small conga drum (the kind you play with your hands) or look for an affordable snare drum and let him bang away on his own. Let him practice along with music, learn to clap the beat to a song together and then let him play the beat.

There isn't that much technique involved for a while, although I speak as a total non drummer.

I think piano is a great instrument to start with. It teaches you to read music in both clefs which would make playing other instruments much simpler later.

My daughter started with violin at 4.5. You can get smaller violins so it was an easy instrument for her to be able to hold. She learned all her songs by memory and she's now learning to read the music. We have a Suzuki teacher who also emphasizes reading the music so I guess it's not the straight Suzuki method. Learning the violin has been wonderful and she's now taking the piano.

My son who's 4 is now starting violin-right now he's just using a stick to practice holding the bow. He's not ready for an actual violin but he's learning some technique. I'm hoping that by starting with an instrument young they can branch out when they're older and try a different one if they want to but they'll have a good foundation.

My older son started at 5.5 and did great. However I was not in a hurry with my younger, all little boy, wiggled. I ended up starting him at six because he wanted to do what big brother was doing. It has turned out to be his "gift". He loves it, but is still the super wiggly silly funny guy. He makes up these crazy (and actually really good!) variations on songs, bounces up and down. So if he is eager and wants to and you have the funds and instrument I think it is a good age. Also helps if he is reading. So I don't see any reason to wait, but there is no rush if these are not in place or if a trial a period shows he is not ready. Find a teacher who is really good with young kids. We did have some issues with being upset with correction, not listening etc., and we worked together and even came up with a contract about how the lesson should go. My older son didn't need anything like this, but it shows you how you can work with a motivated young kid. If he just didn't want to do piano I would have taken him out, but a lot of it was him wanting to keep playing and being upset about making mistakes.

Okay that was probably a lot more than you wanted to hear :tongue_smilie:. But lessons at a young age can work great, so don't be afraid to start because of age.

I had always felt that starting to play an instrument was best left until age 7 or so (when I started as a child), but my 2 youngest started piano and violin at age 5 and I'm really amazed at how well they are progressing and understanding.

I would highly recommend a parent sitting in on the lessons and helping the child to practice daily, especially is you don't have musical background yourself. You will be the daily "teacher" for your young child.

If you have a good teacher who makes it fun, you can start as young as 5. My dd quit and isn't interested any more, but for two years she did excellent, caught on quickly and had no problems. Just make sure they don't overload your son with too much practice. TWO songs per week, maximum is what I thought was good. My dd sometimes had 4 newer songs, 2 old review songs plus 4 scales to practice. Overloading was 60% of the reason she fell out of love with piano.

If you have a good teacher who makes it fun, you can start as young as 5. My dd quit and isn't interested any more, but for two years she did excellent, caught on quickly and had no problems. Just make sure they don't overload your son with too much practice. TWO songs per week, maximum is what I thought was good. My dd sometimes had 4 newer songs, 2 old review songs plus 4 scales to practice. Overloading was 60% of the reason she fell out of love with piano.

I had that issue too. I quit piano as a child because I hated practicing. Once the pressure was off to practice, I started picking things up on my own and playing for fun now and then. I think I wasn't ready to practice hard at such a young age. In high school, I could have done it for sure (as I did for trombone - practicing sometimes an hour every night, after having band period for an hour, jazz band period for an hour, and afterschool practice for 2 hours).

• 1 month later...

My 5 1/2 yr old recently started piano. I hadn't been planning on it but he was interested since his brother plays. He also had been having his brother "teach" him and then practicing on his own. I figured if he was that interested I'd rather having him taking lessons. He is loving it and is very motivated. He practices more than he is required to and is very excited about doing something "big".

My oldest really wanted to learn to play the drums at about 5. I was willing t look into but I am completely non-musical and had always heard that you should start with piano. I asked good friends of ours who are musicians for advice. The husband is a drummer and the wife a pianist. They both said that there are good reasons for starting with piano as far as theory...however, they both said that if he had a real interest in playing that was probably most important. They thought if he really wanted to learn to play drums, it was fine.

For us, it became a moot point when I couldn't find anyone in our area to teach drums before the age of 7 or 8. (I have since heard of places but I looked really hard at the time and couldn't find anywhere.) We ended up starting him in piano last year. He really likes it and is no longer as interested in drums.

If my son wanted to learn the drums, I would allow him if we were finacially able to do so. Because of the type of person he is, I don't think the piano would necessarily be for him, he's more of a hitting/banging child :D

Our daughter is learning the piano/keyboard through MusIQ homeschool program. I agree with the OP in the case that it is one of the more nicer sounding ones even with the in between stages (if your using a keyboard, there is also a handy volume function :D )

But given that my children can learn any instrument they want to, with the following criteria:

- We can afford it/swing it financially (some instruments cost a lot)

- Use piano first, if the child does not want to go through 1 year (20 lessons) of piano course, then they must wait 1 year before they can look into/begin whatever instrument they have in mind (this stops purchases that aren't used or them changing their mind several weeks later)

- No recorders, flutes, trombones, saxophones or anything where you blow into the instrument to create a sound. If you must do this, lessons away from home, and no practising unless I am not at home. (those type of instruments bring on an instant migraine, yet for some reason I can handle someone "building a shed" with a drum kit :lol: )

- Once you are master at whatever instrument you take on, you will allow requests from me for song choices.....its only fair, after I have allowed you to have the instrument in the first place. I may not know the name of the song, and may hum what I want out of tune, it is your job as instrument master to know what song I am talking about and duly play it :lol:

[quote=justicesmom;3620639

Is it necessary/easier to start off with the piano before learning another instrument?

Is he too young?

What experiences have you had with your young children that seem to have an interest (and maybe even some talent) in playing an instrument?

It is not necessary to start with piano. I would start with an instrument that interests your child. Try taking him to an instrument shop, listening to music or going to concerts, or find an instrument petting zoo. In my experience, when the child picks the instrument, they are more motivated to learn and practice.

No, not too young. My dd started violin at 3yo using the Suzuki method (most Suzuki piano programs I know start piano as young as 5yo). My ds started guitar at 6yo.

Experiences: Music is a huge part of our lives...has actually taken over.LOL

My kids love to practice and play together in their own band. They have competed in the US, won, and travelled to Ireland to compete where they won a busking competition. We drive all over for lessons, orchestra, and playing opportunities. (I put over 35000 miles on my car last year, most of those for music things.) When we moved, we downsized our home to be able to continue to afford what the kids need to progress with their music. We have met lots of wonderful people through their music and they have made many musical friends.

I think piano is a great gateway instrument, and my 8 year old does Musikgarten piano and my six year old will start next year. However, that's not written in stone. Violin and Suzuki are great, also, and if we'd had a teacher, we probably would have gone that route.

BUT, passion is important. You have a passionate kid. He wants to play the drums. If you have an instructor, I would totally let him play the drums, because he wants to. If he didn't have a preference, I would choose piano or violin, for all the excellent reasons that have been listed. But just because he starts on drums, doesn't mean he can't learn those later, at a more traditional age. He's a bit young for doing a lot of music reading, which would lead me to choose a more "by ear" program for piano anyway. Passion is important. I say let him give it a try. Junior drum sets can be resold, if need be.

Piano first is not necessary. He is not too young.

My DD asked to learn violin at 2. She started at 3.5 with a Suzuki teacher. We took a break after six months but continued to practice at home. She is back with her Suzuki teacher now at nearly 6 and loving it. She fell off some play equipment yesterday injuring her wrist and is really sad she can't play for a few days.

My twins started piano at 5, then one switched to violin at 6. The younger dd started piano at 4 because she taught herself all the melodies in the first book from listening to her sisters, so I thought we might as well start her. At 13 and 11, they are all still playing.

For a kid that young, I would recommend a Suzuki teacher. Most traditional teachers prefer you wait till 7 because they expect the child to read first. Suzuki will start with playing and add reading about 6 or 7 (about the same time as traditional lessons, except the kids can already play).

dd started piano when she was 5 and started K. ds is almost 5, starting K in the fall, but he is not ready. dd was reading and much more focused. I think it would just be frustrating for ds right now so we will wait a year. So, I guess I think it really depends on the child. dd has been begging for guitar lessons for over a year. I am standing firm and making her wait. I would like her to have a few years of piano first and give her hands a little time to grow before guitar. Also, I think I fear dh will want me to teach her since I play, and well, that's not gonna happen so I will delay her a little longer! :tongue_smilie:

My 5 year old son began asking to take cello lessons back in November. My husband and I were perplexed by this as we had no earthly idea where he learned/saw a cello. We thought it was a passing interest, but he persisted on into December. Before November, I would have not said he was musically inclined whatsoever. He had no apparent sense of rhythm, rarely sang, -- in short, he didn't sound as innately gifted in that area as your son sounds. End of December, I got on youtube.com and typed in every major instrument I could think of flute, bassoon, oboe, trumpet, drums, triangle, piano, violin, -- you name it. I did this because I SUSPECTED that he'd say, "I want to play THAT one" after every sample of each and I wanted to make sure that he was truly INTERESTED in cello. Sure enough, he persisted that cello was his favorite and even in the car, if a song (country or classical) was on the radio, he'd make a bowing motion across his chest. So.....long story short, we signed him up for the Suzuki Strings program at the local university. It's a stringed instrument program for young kids. He has taken to it like a duck to water and even the teachers say he has quite an affinity as manifested by the speed at which he's progressing. He ASKS to practice daily. He loves it. So.....I don't think 5.5 is too young at all. I say go for it.

I agree that I'd not START a kid in drums.

Piano IMO is to music what Latin is to the learning of languages. It's a great gateway instrument. I play piano and will start my son on it soon, but if he doesn't like it (as he likes cello) I'll let him choose in a year or two if he wants to drop it completely, but we're going to do at least 2 years before he decides to do cello only.

Recently (this month) I AGAIN asked my son, "Do you remember where you FIRST saw the cello? Where you first got interested in it?" He matter-of-factly answered, "I first saw that lady playing it on the WIGGLES Christmas video." So, if in 20 years, he's an accomplished cellist...I'll owe it to THE WIGGLES!!!

I'm going to attach a pic (of course I'm biased, but its just sooo cute when a little kid plays ANY instrument!!!).....if for nothing else, it's adorable!!! This is my 5 year old at his FIRST cello lesson in January.

I would expose him to different instruments and see if one consistantly jumps out at him, but if one doesn't piano is a great one.

post-16194-13535086457462_thumb.jpg

post-16194-13535086457462_thumb.jpg

Edited by mhg

My child began piano at age 5 and he's done just fine. He was a bit wiggly at first (the first 6 months) but he's settled in and can pay attention reasonably well for his 30 minute lesson. His teacher uses the My First Piano Adventures. We're about to finish the third book C!

My children start violin lessons at 4.5y/o, then piano at around 6-7 (DD is just starting piano this year). I do require reasonable daily practice from the beginning, it is a priority to us. I like violin first because it is easier for a little person to handle, the keys on a piano can be difficult for little hands. I'm very pleased that we started them when we did.

If he's an auditory learner then I'd recommend a suzuki type method, expose him to lots of good music!