Menu

Can anyone give their experience with youth group weekend retreat?

Ours go (or did go, in the boys' cases) for a Spring Retreat every year. DD went to her first last year and had a blast. They stayed in a retreat center, with several buildings. The guys slept in a separate building, and the girls slept in the main building where the meetings were. They stayed over 2 nights. Each day, there was a pretty tight schedule--kids tend to get into some trouble if they have too much freetime, was the thinking...

Ours played games, did some very deep spiritual stuff, journaled, worshipped, sang, had a fire, ate good food and some junk (I think they made smore's), and just had a lovely time. There was excellent supervision and very, very clear expectations of behavior and consequences.

A couple of years ago, two kids got sent home--we don't mess around. The kids know it and are extraordinarily good.

Ours is different - we have a small church and no youth pastor. There is a Christian camp near us that does a weekend retreat fro groups like ours. We pay about $100 each and they do everything!

We have cabins for boys and cabins for girls. Food and games.

There is a get acquainted thing and then a teaching session Friday night. There is a session after breakfast and a group game then lunch on Saturday. Free time all afternoon. Then another session after dinner and another group recreation thingSaturday night. Sunday has another session. Luncha nd then home.

I chaperone these. I always have a good time. The teaching is always good and the kids get that spiritual high you expect after a retreat.

My son just got back from a weekend retreat, which he found to be wonderful.

It's all about trusting that particular group of adults with your child. Can you call the youth pastor and ask him about the situation? How will the kids be supervised? What are the sleeping arrangments? Who is driving? Whatever else. I bet you'll get a pretty good feel for how responsible the adults are from talking with him.

Ours go (or did go, in the boys' cases) for a Spring Retreat every year. DD went to her first last year and had a blast. They stayed in a retreat center, with several buildings. The guys slept in a separate building, and the girls slept in the main building where the meetings were. They stayed over 2 nights. Each day, there was a pretty tight schedule--kids tend to get into some trouble if they have too much freetime, was the thinking...

Ours played games, did some very deep spiritual stuff, journaled, worshipped, sang, had a fire, ate good food and some junk (I think they made smore's), and just had a lovely time. There was excellent supervision and very, very clear expectations of behavior and consequences.

A couple of years ago, two kids got sent home--we don't mess around. The kids know it and are extraordinarily good.

:iagree: Our dd's in a Youth group that does a Spring retreat and a Summer camp out. They do the same types of things mentioned above, plus hiking. It's a wonderful group of kids, and they di have a group leader. It's very organized and spiritually uplifting! DD LOVES going!

I agree, though, each place is different, so talk to the leaders and see what is done and how it's run and ask any questions you may have.

:iagree: THIS! DD loved the one she went to :)