Menu

Is there a safe flea shampoo for cats?

I've heard BioSpot works but it's smelly.

We have dogs. A few summers ago we had a horrible flea infestation. We all had bites on our ankles. We tried flea shampoos, bombs, sprays, and drops. Finally I tried Fleabusters RX, it's a powder you sprinkle on your carpets and under furniture. This powder kills all the stages of the flea life cycle and controls fleas for a full year.

If your cat is an indoor cat I recommend treating the whole house with fleabusters. The stuff really works!

In the spring we treat our lawns with nematodes. They are really easy to apply and kill flea larva.

Thanks for the info.

I have two cats, a dog and a pet rat. It is only this one cat that can't seem to shake the fleas. :001_smile: I feel bad for her, I am the one person in the family that draws all the mosquitos. :lol:

I have washed bedding, vacuumed and used DE around baseboards. I have put frontline drops on the cats and dog. I guess I will shampoo next... I have some old Hertz shampoo but I have been told it is not always safe.

I will try the nematodes this summer. I might look into the Fleabuster Rx if the shampoo does not fix things.

Thanks for the info.

I have two cats, a dog and a pet rat. It is only this one cat that can't seem to shake the fleas. :001_smile: I feel bad for her, I am the one person in the family that draws all the mosquitos. :lol:

I have washed bedding, vacuumed and used DE around baseboards. I have put frontline drops on the cats and dog. I guess I will shampoo next... I have some old Hertz shampoo but I have been told it is not always safe.

I will try the nematodes this summer. I might look into the Fleabuster Rx if the shampoo does not fix things.

Does she have a favorite sleeping spot? I bet that's where she's getting the fleas from.

Fleas are freaky little critters and they can be very tough to kill due to their strange life cycle. I know when we had them we tried everything and for a few days we would think we were winning the battle only to have another hatch. The flea eggs can lay dormant all winter and hatch when conditions are perfect. Our problem was so bad, when I ordered fleabusters I bought three containers of the stuff, I was thinking I'd really cover everything with the stuff. LOL This isn't necessary. I don't think I even used an entire container on our house. I sprinkled some under the sofa cushions and under the cushions to the pet beds.

We have five little dogs (used to have six but DD21 took her's when she moved out last month). I use fleabusters and nematodes every Spring and I don't have to treat our dogs with flea drops, dips, shampoos or other products. :)

Comfortis is for dogs, but is used safely off label for cats. It is very effective, safe, and is a medication in tablet form, not a pesticide. Call your vet and inquire. If they do not carry comfortis, you could inquire at other local vets. It is a prescription only product, and off label for cats, so you will have to get it from a vet who has examined the cat recently.

Avantage multi, or revolution, are the two cat products I would recommend if you cannot find a local vet who will prescribe comfortis off label.

If you put all your dogs on comfortis you will likely never see another flea. Btter yet, the dogs should go on trifexis, which is comfortis plus a heartworm and intestinal parasite preventative.

Hartz, biospot, etc is very dangerous and ineffective. Also very hazardous to the family. Frontline is safe, but as you have seen, it is not as effective as it once was.