Menu

Homeschool Name?

Do you have a name for your homeschool? How did you come up with it?

Care to share any great names that you decided not to use?

I've been trying to come up with a name for our school for over a year and just can't seem to think of anything clever. One of the reasons I want to name it is because I want to start a blog with the name of our school as the web address and I'm pretty sure I can't change the URL on Blogger once I sign up.

In NC we have to name our school and we can't change it either. So I've heard of people who sent transcripts to colleges from All Smiles School. (Or something similar.)

Anyway our school is Anchor Academy. Academy because it means a secondary school, typically a private one. And Anchor is both for the song Solid Rock and where dh and I met.

Solid Rock "for in the dark and stormy gale, my anchor hods within the veil"

Where we met has a lot of watermen, hence a lot of anchors. :)

While we're officially under a cover school, my DD picked "Mount Parnassus Academy"-and is clear that she's in the ELEMENTARY school. We have school shirts, a sticker for my mini-van, and other stuff with Mount Parnassus and our hydra mascot :). And she's absolutely THRILLED when we get a box from Rainbow Resource with "Mount Parnassus" as part of the address :).

http://makingmusicwithkids.blogspot.com/2012/01/more-mount-parnassus.html

http://makingmusicwithkids.blogspot.com/2011/08/homeschoolplaying-school-in-our-case.html

While we're officially under a cover school, my DD picked "Mount Parnassus Academy"-and is clear that she's in the ELEMENTARY school. We have school shirts, a sticker for my mini-van, and other stuff with Mount Parnassus and our hydra mascot :). And she's absolutely THRILLED when we get a box from Rainbow Resource with "Mount Parnassus" as part of the address :).

http://makingmusicwithkids.blogspot.com/2012/01/more-mount-parnassus.html

http://makingmusicwithkids.blogspot.com/2011/08/homeschoolplaying-school-in-our-case.html

I just saw your mascot and I laughed! It was sooo cute I couldn't help myself! Take that as a compliment, not an insult!

It's required in California if you file your own private school affidavit.

The first few years, we were Freedom Learning Center. I was full of John Holt, and didn't feel the need to call my "school" a "School." :)

Dds finally told me they couldn't tell people they were enrolled in Freedom Learning Center, so that year I changed it to Southeast San Diego Christian Academy. :D

My philosophy on naming our schools is this: It doesn't need to include every single thing we believe (if we're Christians); it shouldn't have our family name in it; it should be something that our hulking 13yo sons can say without blushing. :) It's a good idea to see if there are Christian schools with the same name in our community, too.

In NC we have to name our school and we can't change it either. So I've heard of people who sent transcripts to colleges from All Smiles School. (Or something similar.)

Anyway our school is Anchor Academy. Academy because it means a secondary school, typically a private one. And Anchor is both for the song Solid Rock and where dh and I met.

Solid Rock "for in the dark and stormy gale, my anchor hods within the veil"

Where we met has a lot of watermen, hence a lot of anchors. :)

I'm in NC too and I have to register when our upcoming school year starts so I'll have to choose and I just CANNOT come up with something that I think I'll like until all of my kids graduate!:glare:

Ours is Couchtop College. A college isn't a university over here, so we're not being pretentious, really. :p My dd is a climber and I despaired of ever getting her down long enough to teach her anything.

We don't have to put school names on anything official though. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

We don't have a name for our home school.

If we did, it'd probably be Jedi Academy. :glare:

:D That's a good one. :)

We don't have one, either. We saw some people at a homeschool day at a museum last fall and they all (parents, 5-6 kids from teenagers down to the toddler in the stroller) had on long sleeve gray t shirts with '__(last name)___ Academy' on them in huge green letters. At which point, DH turned to me and was like, 'Wow...maybe we should get some of those, eh?' ;)

I could never figure out anything creative enough yet.

Ours is L & G Classical School. I got the idea from a quote from Through the Looking Glass when the animals are telling Alice what subjects they study. They say they study Laughing and Grief (Latin and Greek) and I think that laughing and grief is a good description of our days. Some days there is laughter and some days there is grief. I just love all the other subjects the Turtle and Gryphone say they study: Reeling and Writhing, Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, Derision, Mystery (Ancient and Modern), Seaography, Drawling, Stretching and Fainting in Coils.

We are Wakefield Academy. Wakefield was a plotted but never developed road that ran through our former property. Academy because it sounds more rigorous. Plus it's similar to Starfleet Academy, which is what ds wanted to change it to for a few years.

We are the Wildcats, we have a theme of trees running through our schooling, we sort of have school colors.

We live in a trailer park on Hemlock Drive, so we are Hemlock Park Academy. We play WOW, and Dh keeps coming up with names for our school that come from WOW, but Hemlock Park is the one we seem to stick with. Still waiting to come up with a logo for the t-shirts!

Hemlock Park Academy, Home of the Howlers

We don't pick a school name, which is just as well, because I'd pick something embarrassing like Invader Zim and his Zim-lets.

I like Dr. Johnson a lot. Maybe I'd name something for him. Samuel Johnson Prep? Johnson-Reynolds Prep? Samuel Johnson and Joshua Reynolds were very good friends.

We are not named, but I would be tempted with something like Academy of Engineering for the EXTREMELY Gifted and Talented:tongue_smilie:

Okay, pardon me while I go tell my brilliant student to take the blanket off his head so that he can actually see the math book in front of him. :D

We don't have a name yet- I am not eager to name us because we are not "settled" and the kids are so young.

Right now my DS tells me when he wants to work on school (mostly starfall) by saying "Memman color B's" doesn't matter what letter or color he wants to work on, he always says he wants to color a B, because B is for Memman. :lol:

When my DS was younger I used to call him Lord Brennicus (and I would post facebook statuses about the "Misadventures of the Young Lord Brennicus") so I am tempted to continue my medieval fantasy... :laugh:

A Preschool for Knights-and-Ladies in Training! Hehehe.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about this a lot. The only thing I can come up with would be cute for elementary, but I'm not sure what we would do after that. The boys are Star Wars crazy, so I thought about using Padawan Prep. I don't want to use our last name, and we may move, so I don't want something that has to do with our street name or anything like that.

Our school name is Freedom Academy.

Freedom because of the Freedom of living in Texas and America and having the freedom to choose our education choices, religions, and so many other things.

Academy as it sounded more upscale.

We only use it when I need to sign up for something and have a school name. Though I should make up some T-shirts one of these days.

We don't need one but we have one. TRLT Academy. TRLT stands for "The Road Less Traveled". We used that because when I told my 84 year old grandma that we were going to homeschool my dd she said "Well, you're taking the road less traveled, that's for sure! Good for you." We were driving home from her house and both my Dh and I loved that she said that to us and it seemed appropriate. I love it...I always smile when my dd says that is her school, it reminds me of my lovely grandma!:D