Menu

Why do you home educate?

Why do you home educate?  

1. 1. Why do you home educate?

• Academics
    • Religious beliefs
    • Other option

Because I can eat the bon-bons in peace.

Because I'm too lazy to pack lunches.

It gives me an excuse to buy too many books.

:auto:

For real, though? For a great, customized education and strong family bonds.

I have to agree with the excuse to buy books! A few other reasons: so I can customize the education of each child, I don't think I could ever get up early enough to get the kids to school on time, we have more time for extracurricular activities and traveling, and I love spending time with my kids.

Because I think homes and communities are better than institutions for children and for learning in general. Because I don't agree with the aims of public/government schools.

Of those, "academics" is the closest, but that's not really it. It's more that I believe in tailoring the academics to the child and meeting the child where he is. "Academics" implies that the academics in the schools aren't good enough (which may be true, but that's not really what I mean).

It started off as a way for DD to start over. Her experiences in PS left both her and I very emotionally drained. It was an issue of both academics & behavior/social environment.

Now, with a new kindergartner for next year, it's mostly a social environment thing. The control over her education & family bonding are bonuses :)

Because I can eat the bon-bons in peace.

Because I'm too lazy to pack lunches.

It gives me an excuse to buy too many books.

:auto:

For real, though? For a great, customized education and strong family bonds.

:iagree: except the only time I can eat bon bons in peace is when I lock myself in my bathroom.

At first because I was convinced that classroom education would have damaged my oldest and because I felt like I could do at least as well if not better by him. Faith was in issue too.

I'm still convinced of the same, but in a more mature way. I'm wary of conveyor-belt education, and more about development of the soul. We've done outside classes, but I read everything they read and still discuss everything with them and read everything they write. We're curious and expansive, which is far different from what I see in the community college students that I teach.

Oh yes, and wearing jammies all day, eating lunch together, and being able to sleep in are side benefits. Tuesday we took the whole day off for a field trip and a lovely Italian lunch to celebrate Valentine's Day with my offspring. Why not?

B/c if my kids are going to end up in therapy, I want it to be b/c we screwed them up, rather than outsiders.

:lol::lol:

Academics is the main, so I voted for that. Since we are Christian and are allowed to incorporate religion into school we do, but that is not the main reason we homeschool.

I have found many reasons along the way that reinforce the decision we made. Some I had thought about before, and others have been a total surprise. Those are perks along the way. If I am reading correctly, you want the number 1 main reason above all others. For our family it is academics.

Side perks:

Disneyland in February

Not having to rush out the door in the morning.

Not having my children use the words I hear way to many ps kids use.

I get the look of joy when my child really grasps a new concept and not some stranger.

safety.

Hot breakfast in the morning.

Staying in our PJ's till noon(when we don't have to go out)

Have 100% control over what my kids eat.

Changing curriculum if it just is not working,

Bribing with books and the science museum rather than candy.

No Sponge Bob!

The list just goes on and on....

B/c if my kids are going to end up in therapy, I want it to be b/c we screwed them up, rather than outsiders.

:lol: I was having a conversation awhile back with other homeschool parents about how all our kids will inevitably be completely screwed up in the future (we were being very jokey and lighthearted about it - the idea that everyone has problems, blah blah blah) and several of us expressed similar sentiments!

Academics was the reason we started. DS was already reading and doing 1st grade maty before he would have atarted preschool. The school could not give him what he needed and I did not want him to hate school.

We include Bible study in our work. But, religion was not the reason to homeschool.

I think that this sort of poll is not going to present accurate results. It might be more accurate to simply ask who is using religious and who is using secular curriculums (perhaps with another option for those using religious curriculums like SOTW in a secular way, or including that as part of the secular-only curriculum option).

I used to homeschool due to food allergies, but we don't have to deal with those anymore. I am continuing for religious reasons and to avoid the terrible things I hear about that happen in schools.

Because I think homes and communities are better than institutions for children and for learning in general. Because I don't agree with the aims of public/government schools.

Of those, "academics" is the closest, but that's not really it. It's more that I believe in tailoring the academics to the child and meeting the child where he is. "Academics" implies that the academics in the schools aren't good enough (which may be true, but that's not really what I mean).

This. :iagree:

Of the two, academics. But of course, there are a whole slew of other reasons. Hating the school system in general. Wanting my kids to have more of a childhood. Wanting more time with them. Wanting their education to be a more well-rounded, hands on, and, yes, FUN experience. Wanting to avoid a bunch of the negative experiences that come with the public school territory. And so on and so forth.

Have you seen me in a denim jumper?? I'm hot in a denim jumper. Fire, baby.

:leaving:

But really 'cause I want to wow the neighbors with Latin.

:D

But really really because I want to provide a kind of education for my children impossible to get (here) otherwise, one in which the family is strengthened and artificial boundaries between things academic and things religious are not required.

I voted for both, but I should have also voted for 'other' now that I've thought through it more. In addition to academics and our deep convictions to combine a Christian worldview with our studies, we prefer to have the ability to customize curriculum and subjects for our child. In school that would never be possible. We also prefer the lifestyle that goes along with home education.

There are actually a lot of good reasons, but those are the main ones.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I agree with justamouse. I think the Wikipedia article on homeschooling has a pretty good breakdown of reasons. It might also be good to make it clear that more than one option can be chosen-- some people here seem to have chosen "other" instead of checking the boxes for multiple other options.

Both my husband and I had miserable experiences in public schools. We were bright, nerdy kids who were bored and tormented until we each dropped out of high school.

When our daughter started showing signs of being even brighter than we were, we knew that public schools would be a disaster for her. We couldn't afford the wonderful private school we were sure was out there (even though we hadn't actually found one we liked). So, in desperation, we decided to try homeschooling.

I considered selecting "academics" in your poll, but the truth is that I'm talking about so much more than that. Being highly gifted brings with it a whole list of challenges that make cookie-cutter education a terrible idea. It's academics, yes, but it's also social and emotional and all kinds of other considerations.

The final straw was her experience in preschool. She had trouble spending time with her age peers, because they literally didn't understand the words she used. And they didn't have any patience for the games she wanted to play. And the teachers and assistants at that lovely, private, church-run facility had little patience for coping with a vegan kid. It seemed like at least twice a week, some kid would bring in cupcakes for his or her birthday, and my kid would be sad and feel left out of the celebration. She also got teased for not eating what the other kids did. I made arrangements to store a stash of pre-packaged vegan treats that my daughter liked in a cabinet at the school so that all the teacher or aide had to do when there were cupcakes was to toss a treat in my daughter's general direction. Even then, they often couldn't be bothered.

So, in our case, it was a whole, big conglomeration of factors that pushed us toward homeschooling. We considered it a temporary solution at first, but realized a few years into it that we loved homeschooling. It met all of the challenges we had thought of in advance and also offered us flexibility to have a family life and for our kids to pursue passions that would not be available if we were tied down to a traditional school schedule.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Of the two, academics. But of course, there are a whole slew of other reasons. Hating the school system in general. Wanting my kids to have more of a childhood. Wanting more time with them. Wanting their education to be a more well-rounded, hands on, and, yes, FUN experience. Wanting to avoid a bunch of the negative experiences that come with the public school territory. And so on and so forth.

:iagree:

Originally because 5 year olds seemed far too small to be sent off to fend for themselves.

Then because I couldn't imagine there aren't better ways to spend 13 years of their lives.

Now the above, and I have a speech delayed child. I doubt she'll have entirely caught up by next January and school would make mince meat of her. She's not as stupid as she sounds. She's not stupid at all, but she certainly isn't developing by the textbook.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Because it gives me the freedom to....

Go where I want when I want.

Teach my kids in a way that it individulized and works best for them.

I can keep politics out of it.

We can go on vacation in March.

I can call a teacher workday if I want :)

I don't have to worry about someone hurting my kids.

I don't have to worry about someone giving them chicken nuggets if I didn't pack a proper lunch. :leaving:

Because it gives me the freedom to....

Go where I want when I want.

Teach my kids in a way that it individulized and works best for them.

I can keep politics out of it.

We can go on vacation in March.

I can call a teacher workday if I want :)

I don't have to worry about someone hurting my kids.

I don't have to worry about someone giving them chicken nuggets if I didn't pack a proper lunch. :leaving:

I like these reasons!!!

1. I don't feel like getting out of bed in the morning to get the kids ready for school.

2A. I don't like other people all that much, so dealing with school teachers would truly annoy me.

2B. I don't like other people's children all that much, so dealing with school children would truly annoy me.

3. I like being able to dump three to four loads of laundry on the sofa, say "Fold it," and watch it disappear while I sip my tea.

4. Sometimes, in the middle of the day, I get an itch on my back (where I can't reach, no matter how hard I try), so having the kids home to scratch my back is a huge relief.

5. Someone has to dry the dishes, and it isn't going to be me.