Menu

UCAS?

asta

Has anyone here who has HSd through high school gone on to complete the UCAS for UK universities? (for their kid I mean)

I'm just wondering what I'm going to be in for, paperwork wise (eg: just a transcript or a transcript plus course descriptions etc.)

Thx

Asta

I haven't used UCAS in (uh hum) years but I know roughly how it works.

The first thing to do (maybe you have already) is to look at the websites of the particular universities that you are interested in and see what they require. UCAS is only a clearing house for a common application - the requirements are set by the universities. UK universities, in general, are not much interested in transcripts. They want to see public exam results. These are the requirements for US students for Bristol University (probably in the top ten in the UK). Entry is by exam, unless there's some kind of bridge between high school and application:

Applicants with the High School Graduation Diploma combined with a successfully completed appropriate foundation/bridging programme will be considered for admission to our Bachelor degree programmes.

Applicants who have successfully completed the first year of a U.S. University degree will be considered for admission to the first year of our Bachelor degree programmes.

The UCAS form is likely to ask for a list of qualifications with grades, not courses taken. All college-bound courses in the UK lead to an exam, so courses are not listed separately.

So, I'd start by working out which universities you want to apply to (I can help with suggestions, if you like) and see what their requirements are. Then you can slot those requirements (public exam results) into the UCAS form.

ETA: this page gives you screen shots of the UCAS form pages that relate to education. As you can see, it's all about exam results (including ACT and APs, for example) not courses.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

Ah.

Currently, he is looking at the MA in Central and East European Studies at Glasgow. They also have a dual honors w/ German that is attractive to him.

When I called the International Students office, they told me he would need an SAT and two SAT2s, though it didn't matter which ones for this major (huh? that sounds odd...). She commented that it was because he would have already completed 12 years of schooling and a glide year.

Looking at the available SAT2s, it appears that World History would obviously be a good one, as would German, but it would be more convenient to get a Goethe certificate for the German than do an SAT2 for it (cheaper, too - good Lord are SAT international rates high!). So I'm not sure what else he should do - Literature is NOT his strong point...

a

Scottish universities are a bit easier than English or Welsh ones, because traditionally Scottish students went to university at 17 and the degree is four years, rather than three very concentrated years. That's probably why they are happy with SAT subject tests, rather than APs.

I'm surprised that they didn't specify SAT II in German - did you ask about the Goethe Institute test instead of that SAT II? If not you might ask - SATs may be her default answer for Americans, but they may accept the other one.

There are some university league tables that you can look at to see how Glasgow rates on the criteria that are most important to you. I couldn't find a table that corresponded very closely to that course. This might be the closest. Here's the one for German. The general ranking is here.

Best wishes

Laura

I'm surprised that they didn't specify SAT II in German - did you ask about the Goethe Institute test instead of that SAT II? If not you might ask - SATs may be her default answer for Americans, but they may accept the other one.

She said it should be fine, but that I should double check with the American counselor (she was the African and Eastern counselor). The main thing, apparently, was proving one's level.

There are some university league tables that you can look at to see how Glasgow rates on the criteria that are most important to you. I couldn't find a table that corresponded very closely to that course. This might be the closest. Here's the one for German. The general ranking is here.

Best wishes

Laura

We're not too concerned with how it is ranked, as apparently it does quite well:

Central and East European Studies at Glasgow is recognised as one of the world's leading centres for research and research training in this field. In the most recent independent review of research quality (RAE 2008), Central and East European Studies at Glasgow was rated first in Scotland and fifth in the UK, with 85% of our work rated ‘international’, ‘internationally excellent’ or ‘world leading’.

The University Library holds one of the best Russian, Central and East European collections in the world.

a