Menu

Minivan or SUV?

What would you get if you were me?  

1. 1. What would you get if you were me?

• Minivan
    • SUV
    • Other- please explain

Help me see the light.

We are a family of 4. Our kids are 10 and 4, and both can put their own seat belts on. In the last 2 1/2 years, I put around 100,000 miles on my mid-sized SUV. I need a decent amount of storage room, the Envoy was getting to the point of being too small. We take short vacations (3-4 hour drives) a few time a year. The minivan we are looking at averages 18 mpg combined, the SUV 15 mpg combined, I would say I drive 60% of the time freeway. The SUV is white, the Minivan is red. The SUV does have running boards so it won't be any harder to get into than what we already had. Both are within a couple hundred dollars of each other. The minivan has less miles on it than the SUV. I also refuse to buy new, so don't consider that an option.

WWYD?

I say SUV only because I just had to pick between the 2 and I just bought a Yukon XL. I looked at smaller SUVs with the 3rd row seat and space suffers with the 3rd row so that limited my choice. Also, with a minivan, you have seating but not much space. Think of how many groceries you buy and can you put the kids in and the groceries and not have the bread get stepped on?

Do you live where you would NEED the 4WD of the SUV (assuming it had it) or have the need to tow something? If not, I would go with the mini van. It will save you a lot on gas over the years. You can also check with your insurance company about rates for each vehicle. Sometimes the rates can vary a great deal and you could pay a lot more for one type than the other.

The SUV does NOT have 4WD. I had it on the Envoy and NEVER used it, even in Tahoe.

Then I wouldn't pay more in gas for a higher mileage SUV. The mini van likely has more seating options--of who sits where, bringing friends, other adults, etc. than the SUV.

We do have a suburban that eats diesel BUT we pull a 4 horse trailer with it and live where we do need the 4 wheel drive at times (but not this winter so far).

You can have both--just get a Chevy Traverse. An SUV that looks like a minivan. :lol:

But seriously, I'd go with minivan for mileage. Does one have a better service record than the other? Is one more likely to last another 100K miles than the other? Do you just not want to be a Minivan Mom?

I used to drive a Ford Explorer, now I drive a Toyota Sienna. I didn't want to (be a MM), but dh convinced me it was a smart choice. It was. It has a lot more room and better mileage. It might not be a lot more room than a comparable SUV, though, but the mileage is still better. And after driving it for 6 years being a MM doesn't bother me so much. :D

I finally switched to a minivan last year and love it. Even my DH who was in Iraq when I bought it has been won over. It's way more usable space than my expedition and much more comfortable for everyone on trips. It just took me a little bit to adjust to the "cool factor" (or lack thereof!)

We currently have 4, sometimes 5 if we have a foster placement. Until recently we had a minivan and an SUV. I always preferred to drive the minivan not only due to mileage, but because with the SUV we have to flip a seat up everytime all the kids get in. While it seems like a minor issue it really is a pain. If the child in the middle row jumps out without thinking, it can be hard for the kids in the back to get the seat to flip. Sometimes they just climb over which is hard on the seat tops and leaves footprints on the seats. The Nissan Quest and Honda Odessy both have a lot of trunk space. We have had both and loved them.

With the minivan, I assume you have the option of folding or removing the third row seating, which means you'll have a ton of room for stuff. The minivan is cheaper to run and has fewer miles. Color doesn't matter to me. I'd go minivan.

That's what I was thinking. You could use the middle row most of the time and take out the back seats.

With all of the SUVs we've looked at you had to flip one of the middle row seats to access the third row, unless you wanted kids climbing over and around seats to get back there. I use my third row all the time (5 kids) and I still have plenty of room in back for groceries and day to day stuff. If I need more cargo space I just collapse the third row. If I need even more cargo space I tumble and remove the second row seats. Since you have two kids it seems like you could always stow the third row without inconvenience.

Since you don't need the towing capacity or 4-wheel drive I would get the minivan!

I have a delivery service that would FILL the back of my Envoy a couple days a week, so space in the back is a priority.

Is it heavy cargo that you are delivering? How would it be bending over to pick it up off the floor of the minivan compared to the higher floor of an SUV?

ETA: Which one has the most comfortable driver's seat? You spend a lot of time driving (like I do) and that is very important.

With all of the SUVs we've looked at you had to flip one of the middle row seats to access the third row, unless you wanted kids climbing over and around seats to get back there. I use my third row all the time (5 kids) and I still have plenty of room in back for groceries and day to day stuff. If I need more cargo space I just collapse the third row. If I need even more cargo space I tumble and remove the second row seats. Since you have two kids it seems like you could always stow the third row without inconvenience.

Since you don't need the towing capacity or 4-wheel drive I would get the minivan!

:iagree: Yep, exactly what she said! :D ('cept I only have 3 kids) We have LOVED our minivan and I've been proud to own it....never had a problem with being a MV Mom!

Is it heavy cargo that you are delivering? How would it be bending over to pick it up off the floor of the minivan compared to the higher floor of an SUV?

ETA: Which one has the most comfortable driver's seat? You spend a lot of time driving (like I do) and that is very important.

If you collapse the back seats of the minivan to carry the cargo, the floor will not be lower. :001_smile:

The difference between 15 and 18 mpg is not significant. My SUV gets 17-18mpg so I am surprised the minivan doesn't get more.

Can you keep looking around and find something in the 25mpg range?

I love our SUV but gas was about $1.80 when I bought it and I was working full time and we had more $$ to blow.

DH wanted a truck for the towing capacity. I wanted the seating of a mini-van, so the SUV was really our compromise.

Dawn

The difference between 15 and 18 mpg is not significant.

It is if you drive 100,000 miles in less than three years like I believe the OP did. 15 mpg would require 5,555 gallons while 18 mpg would require 6,666 gallons. That's at least a $3,000 difference in fuel.

I would check the Consumer Reports ratings and see if one requires more repairs than another. Also ask your mechanic if parts for one cost much more than the other. Finally, consider how popular a model is. More popular models make it easier to find used parts at a junk yard (we bought used tail lights for one car and it saved about $150).

I actually have both... We sell cars and I have a minivan and a Tahoe. I love love love my Tahoe but I drive the minivan more. It's easier to get the kids in and out of and easier to load groceries in it. We use the tahoe mostly for pulling our camper to TN and it is very comfortable for travel.

You can have both--just get a Chevy Traverse. An SUV that looks like a minivan. :lol:

Hey! :toetap05:

It would not have nearly the rear storage the OP is looking for though. Maybe if you folded down the 3rd row seat. With two kids you could do that.

Mine averages about 21-22 mpg. My minivan did not do much better--and it's a HEAVY vehicle. And the horsepower! :001_wub:

And it does not look like a minivan at all. (Does it? :001_unsure:)

I said SUV, because I've owned 2 mini-vans and after the first month couldn't wait until we could get rid of the. I now drive an Expedition and LOVE it. I will never again own a mini-van

oh and I forgot to add that when in town my Expedition gets 14-16mpg but on the open highway I get 24mpg, which is exactly what my old town and country mini-van got.

It is if you drive 100,000 miles in less than three years like I believe the OP did. 15 mpg would require 5,555 gallons while 18 mpg would require 6,666 gallons. That's at least a $3,000 difference in fuel.

I would check the Consumer Reports ratings and see if one requires more repairs than another. Also ask your mechanic if parts for one cost much more than the other. Finally, consider how popular a model is. More popular models make it easier to find used parts at a junk yard (we bought used tail lights for one car and it saved about $150).

That cannot be right. The car with the higher mpg should need less gas. You must have them backwards.

With the minivan, I assume you have the option of folding or removing the third row seating, which means you'll have a ton of room for stuff. The minivan is cheaper to run and has fewer miles. Color doesn't matter to me. I'd go minivan.

:iagree:

We have 2 kids and a mini van. We leave our back seat folded unless we're hauling extra kids. Tons of hauling room. We have a Kia Sedona. I also like the sliding doorstop getting kids in and out in parking lots.

I say neither.

First, let me state that I have a Dodge Grand Caravan, and it's got tons of space, and it's been the single most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Have enjoyed the Stow 'N Go feature, where all the back seats can be laid down flat, even the middle seats.

Before that, I owned an SUV.

Both of them are gas guzzlers, although the minivan gets better mileage. The minivan's center of gravity is also lower, and hugs the road better. I don't like how "top heavy" even the smaller SUVs feel to me when I'm driving.

Beyond all that, though, I'm very tired of the "giant wagon" market. That's why if I decide to trade my 'van in, it'll be for something that has space, lots of room, but has some honest to goodness style and handling: I want a Jetta SportWagen, TDI preferably. Very nice aesthetically, German engineering, much, MUCH safer than either a minivan or an SUV, and an amazing ride.

Best of all, gas mileage for the TDI is over 45 mpg. Even with higher diesel prices, that's significantly better than what I'm getting with my minivan (about 19-21 on the highway). Gas is not going down--it'll be up above $4/gallon by the end of spring.

Also, diesel engines last much longer than gasoline. 200,000+ miles is middle age for many of these vehicles. So, if you want room, good gas mileage, and something that can withstand high mileage, that would be my recommendation.

This exactly. Plus you can add the third row back in when traveling so the kids could each have more room or just keep it out for luggage, etc.

I said minivan because it has two "chairs" for the second row. Very good for when the kids get full sized. I didn't want to have them sitting on bench seats on long trips. With their own chairs, they can each recline individually, and curl up and watch movies, etc. And when I get stuck in the back, then I get a seat like I have in the front!

And it does not look like a minivan at all. (Does it? :001_unsure:)

Why, yes. Yes, it does.

Well, to me at least :D I think because it's curvy, not boxy. When my neighbor first drove hers home I thought they'd gotten a minivan. Turns out they got a Traverse. A year later I still think it looks like a minivan. Of course, I do have a good imagination. Remember the Chevy Lumina minivan? I thought it looked like a Dustbuster. And the Kia Soul? I saw a giant stormtrooper helmet coming down the road.

I said minivan because it has two "chairs" for the second row. Very good for when the kids get full sized. I didn't want to have them sitting on bench seats on long trips. With their own chairs, they can each recline individually, and curl up and watch movies, etc. And when I get stuck in the back, then I get a seat like I have in the front!

My Chevy Traverse has chairs for the second row. There's legroom for average-sized teens and adults in the third row bench outer seats also.

Minivans are cheaper to operate and, if they have the seats that fold easily, should have enough cargo room for your needs. We have both right now, mostly because we had to get a new car to replace the one that was totaled in an accident and we chose the Honda Pilot to eventually replace the 12 year-old Sienna minivan. We are more comfortable taking the Pilot on trips since it newer, has room for our 2 teen boys, 11yo daughter and 60+ lb labradoodle, plus our luggage.

Why, yes. Yes, it does.

Well, to me at least :D I think because it's curvy, not boxy. When my neighbor first drove hers home I thought they'd gotten a minivan. Turns out they got a Traverse. A year later I still think it looks like a minivan. Of course, I do have a good imagination. Remember the Chevy Lumina minivan? I thought it looked like a Dustbuster. And the Kia Soul? I saw a giant stormtrooper helmet coming down the road.

Okay, so it looks like that minivan. Probably a few others too. I traded in a 2000 Ford Windstar for it though, so I have a different perspective on what a minivan looks like (My minivan WAS boxy.). We don't see a lot of non-domestic vehicles around here though.

And the Lumina DOES look like a dustbuster! :lol:

I just got back from the dealer.......

And we got the SUV. First, the minivan did not have stow and go seating, which means that DH would have to take the seat in and out for me. Then, I am only 5'2, with a longer torso and short legs. Let's just say I did not meet the 5 step test in the driver seat. I was also so close to the steering wheel I felt very unsafe.

Then, our mechanic showed up and said the minivan was a no go. We ended up with a different SUV then we were looking at, it passed the mechanics tests and I feel very comfortable in it. The biggest bonus? All the seat are switch operated so I can put seats up and down with the push of a finger! It also has adjustable foot pedals so I sit at a proper length from the steering wheel.

I went to fueleconomy.gov (I think) and put in my old vehicle compared to this one and it is a combined difference of 1 mpg more.

We could have gone to a different dealer, but we like this one and have many friends who have also purchased used vehicles from them and I have never heard a bad review. (yes I checked online too) We got a good financing rate and I am happy with our decision. Thank you everyone for your input!