Menu

For those who use Math Mammoth....

HSinNH

How long do you use it per day? DD8 is working through MM3 by doing the recommended 2-ish pages per day (depending on how much is on each page). It takes her no longer than 10 minutes to complete the assigned pages. Am I using it incorrectly? Is she really good at math? Hard to believe by the way she whines and complains about math.

From what I read on other posts, most people spend 30-40 minutes completing 2-ish pages.

Suggestions?

We are also in MM3. Ds can also get through a couple of pages in 10 minutes, unless they are particularly difficult. I usually allow him to just do those 2 pages and then do something else 'mathy' (at the moment xtra math for his multiplication facts), but occasionally when it's really easy I use the timer and he just carries on until he has done 20-30 minutes depending on my mood!

My ds is only just 7 though, so I don't feel the need to push him too fast.

Sounds like your girl is probably mathy. I see your 10 year old is doing pre-algebra? Are they blood related? If so, I'd suspect your 8 year old is probably similarly math-inclined.

DS1 did 2 pages in 10 minutes when he was working below his ability level. Once we accelerated to where he really was, it took 30-45 minutes to do 2 pages.

You might try doing 2 lessons a day, but assigning half the problems you've been assigning. So the amount of problems is the same, but you're moving through it faster. OR... if it looks like she already knows the material, give her the chapter test, and if she passes, move to the next chapter. My son tested out of several chapters (though mostly in the 1st and 2nd grade books - we did much of the 3rd grade book, but just didn't do all the problems if he understood it quickly).

Sounds like your girl is probably mathy. I see your 10 year old is doing pre-algebra? Are they blood related? If so, I'd suspect your 8 year old is probably similarly math-inclined.

DS1 did 2 pages in 10 minutes when he was working below his ability level. Once we accelerated to where he really was, it took 30-45 minutes to do 2 pages.

You might try doing 2 lessons a day, but assigning half the problems you've been assigning. So the amount of problems is the same, but you're moving through it faster. OR... if it looks like she already knows the material, give her the chapter test, and if she passes, move to the next chapter. My son tested out of several chapters (though mostly in the 1st and 2nd grade books - we did much of the 3rd grade book, but just didn't do all the problems if he understood it quickly).

:iagree:

When my children are at their challenge level, they complete the 2-ish pages in about 45 minutes. There are some lessons that still are incredibly easy for my children, on those days... we do a bit more (inevitably, there is a lesson coming that will be more difficult). My 5yo has a minimum of 2-ish pages, beyond that it's up to her.

We typically do one entire lesson at each sitting, usually takes anywhere from 20-60 minutes depending on the length and the difficulty level. On days that it doesn't take very long I'll also add in a couple pages of Miquon. We were doing 3-4 lessons per week plus tossing in a few Miquon lab sheets on days that we didn't do MM. Even though we got a late start (didn't start the program until a month into the school year) we were half-way through the second semester portion in January. Since then we've slowed way down, have just been doing 1-2 lessons each week and have been spending more time with Miquon instead. We'll still manage to finish it up and move into the next level before the end of the school year.

It varies a lot here. My ds7 who's using MM2 does usually take more like 10-15 minutes for one page, but sometimes a lot less, and every so often a lot more.

I wouldn't worry that you're doing it wrong at all. But if you wanted to change things up, you could consider assigning a "lesson" (which is usually 2-3 pages) a day or two lessons a day and play with the pace a little. Or, if you'd like math to be a half hour subject, you could have her work for that long and finish however much she finishes. Or add in some games to reinforce math facts or some drills. Or you could add in the Singapore Challenging Word Problems (that's what we do) or some other component from a totally different program in order to mix it up.

I agree with the pps, it varies depending on the page. For the solid word-problem pages, we usually can't do more than 2 at a time, and that might take 30-45 minutes, but it fries her brain. On the straight computation pages, I usually assign 1/3 to 1/2 and if she can do them fine, we move on, so we might get through 3-4 pages. Today was a good day, she did three tough pages of proportions without her mind!

Typically she starts to lose steam after about 45 min, so we stop, and move on to LOF for a happy 15-min of fun math time to wrap up for the day. Sometimes this is 2 pp, sometimes 4. I like to try to get through a lesson in 1 sitting, but I've learned not to push it if we are both frustrated.

My DD is 7 and on MM2. She completes 2-3 pages in 10-15 minutes. I guess maybe I should skip some of this content if she knows it already. Are the tests, just the review questions at the end of each chapter?

NM I found some tests for each chapter!

Edited by GnomeyNewt

I can relate. My 1st grader can finish 2 pages in 20 minutes or so. We moved ahead and did a lot of pages while it was easy. She just did the money chapter for the first time and has it down pretty good. I think we're just about done with MM1 and it's still February! I've decided to print out some of those extra worksheets on addition and I"m going to drill her on math facts and fact families. I remember my older kids were drilled in those facts in public school for speed, so we'll work on that too. However, I might just move on up to the second grade book if we really feel done with this one. 2pages a day does not take 45 minutes at all.

On the other hand, a Saxon lesson could easily take 45-60 minutes or more!

I can relate. My 1st grader can finish 2 pages in 20 minutes or so. We moved ahead and did a lot of pages while it was easy. She just did the money chapter for the first time and has it down pretty good. I think we're just about done with MM1 and it's still February! I've decided to print out some of those extra worksheets on addition and I"m going to drill her on math facts and fact families. I remember my older kids were drilled in those facts in public school for speed, so we'll work on that too. However, I might just move on up to the second grade book if we really feel done with this one. 2pages a day does not take 45 minutes at all.

On the other hand, a Saxon lesson could easily take 45-60 minutes or more!

I wouldn't expect two pages of first grade level to take 45 minutes. I think 20 minutes its just right for that age. The OP's child is 3rd grade, and I think 30 minutes or so is about right for that age.

My son does 4 to 5 pages but from a mix of topics each day. He usually does a couple from the Addition/Subtraction everyday, then a couple from one of the other topics (clocks, money, place value, fractions, etc.) each day, working out of 2A at the moment.

It takes him about 30 minutes to do all the pages but I skip some things like filling in the 100's chart that he finds boring and I do quite a bit of the writing for him.

I wouldn't expect two pages of first grade level to take 45 minutes. I think 20 minutes its just right for that age. The OP's child is 3rd grade, and I think 30 minutes or so is about right for that age.

thanks for the clarification! i didn't pay attention to that.

My 3rd grader is nearing the end of 3B, and we do 3 pages per day. I've noticed that there is a great variety in the amount of time it takes... the pages with instruction take much less time than pages full of review problems, even if we only do 1/2 the problems. I would say an average of 45 minutes per day, though... with quite a bit of staring out the window during that time.