Menu

Why do you love your math curriculum?

mom2agang

Sometimes there is a perfect curriculum and sometimes there isn't. Totally depends on parent and child. And sometimes it's not the curriculum that is the problem. ;)

I am quite happy with Singapore. Is it perfect? No. I could think of some changes to make to it. But overall, I like it. It sufficiently challenges my son and also gives him the right amount of practice on a topic and the right amount of review. That's for him though. Another kid might not do well with it because of one of the things that makes it fit my son properly. ;)

What have you tried and what didn't work about it? Describe your child's math abilities as well. Perhaps someone can suggest a program that would be more likely to fit.

I really like Singapore for dd. We use the HIG to guide us along. It seems one lesson is perfect for each day.

This may not be the perfect curriculum for my son though. He's a very different learner, so I'll be looking at other options, like Beast Academy, for him if necessary.

We also like adding in a lot of living math books!

I have a different 'perfect' math curriculum for each of my kids.

DS8 is thriving in Singapore (and loves Fred and Khan, but I rely mostly on Singapore).

DS11 would die by the workbooky format of Singapore and is thriving in Life of Fred.

Every child is different.

Different parents cope well with different things, too.

Guest kcp1377

We're using Horizons now, which works REALLY well for DS1, not so well for the girls. So next year we'll continue that for DS1 and we're looking at MUS for the girls. So nope, don't think there's one perfect one that works for everyone.

I truly love Right Start. We follow the script and my son (7), who is not usually what I would consider 'accelerated', just gets it. He does a fabulous job with mental math. He's not always quick, but is very accurate with two-digit mental addition. He has intuitively cracked the code on multiplication, too, although that is not covered in B. We started RSB in August and finished it a few weeks ago. He loves math, and I attribute it to RS.

I'm interested in him getting different perspectives, so we're now using Singapore 1a/1b IP. We do a unit in 1 or 2 days. The different format is making him sharper and reinforcing what he learned in RS. I think we'll follow up with a MEP/Singapore CWP combo this spring.

However, it's definitely back to Right Start, with level C, this summer.

Starting with Math Mammoth 4A was perfect for my coming-home-from ps girl; it emphasizes her areas of weakness (mental math, word problems, problem solving, and all the time/measurement/money stuff they never seemed to have time to get to in ps). She is very strong on computation, but needed remedial work in those areas. Singapore would probably have been equally good, but I liked the lower cost of MM, the fact that it was a worktext rather than multiple books, and the great website and personal responsiveness/service from Maria.

However, it was imperfect in one way: my girl can't usually get through a lesson without help, so I needed something she could do on her own, and that would provide review, for Fridays when I work and can't help her. Enter TT. I do not consider it perfect (for us), it is way too spiral and IMO doesn't get at the mental math & conceptual stuff in the way my girl needed. She finds it really easy, not challenging, and part of what I'm trying to teach her is that hard is ok, trying, persisting, failing, and finally succeeding are *good* things that will pay off in all areas of life. I'm not dissing TT as a math program, but it would not have provided the challenge my dd needs right now, used alone.

LOF, we use for fun - because it makes math fun for her, it fits the way she learns, and it connects math knowledge to other areas of knowledge, and to life in general. Plus, did I mention she loves it? ;)

So, no, I do not think there is one perfect math program, but maybe three put together = perfect, for now?? :D

Sometimes there is a perfect curriculum and sometimes there isn't. Totally depends on parent and child. And sometimes it's not the curriculum that is the problem. ;)

I am quite happy with Singapore. Is it perfect? No. I could think of some changes to make to it. But overall, I like it. It sufficiently challenges my son and also gives him the right amount of practice on a topic and the right amount of review. That's for him though. Another kid might not do well with it because of one of the things that makes it fit my son properly. ;)

What have you tried and what didn't work about it? Describe your child's math abilities as well. Perhaps someone can suggest a program that would be more likely to fit.

You were using MM earlier. What is it that you prefer about SM?

I'm not totally sold on MM to continue next year.

Is the instructional portion of SM pretty quick?

TIA

Yes, there is a perfect curriculum. One you tailor to your childs specific needs and likes. Dd is doing a math journal/notebook. I use Maximum Math by Katheryn Stout, which is a book that lists the math skills each grade needs to know. Since dd likes to draw and write I have her use these things when doing a skill. Since we left the workbooks she has enjoyed math and shows grasping and retention where before she was just going through the motions.

We have used some excellent curriculums in the past, but as good as they were, none were perfect.

Is there REALLY a perfect math curriculum out there?

No, not perfect.

We have, however, found one that suits us quite well. I have been using MUS since the beginning with my younger two and it has been just right. We have done math 20-30 minutes, 4-5 days/week from 1st grade through 9th now. They have always scored 90+ on the end of the week tests. Only had to slow down once for one of my daughters to master her multiplication facts.

Whatever people have to say about MUS just rolls right off my back. We have NO MATH DRAMA here. No issues. I feel very blessed because I experienced the drama thing with my first two and changed curriculums frequently.

Blessings,

We have found what is "perfect" for us.

We use Horizons Math as our main program, including doing the instruction, drill, and speed work from the Teacher's Manual before the student does his practice workbook page.

I also use Singapore's Challenging Word Problems and Mental Math workbooks to supplement. I recommend the CWP to everyone, regardless of which math program they are using because it is one of the best math resources I have found.

I also add in MEP worksheets if there is time to do them. They have a lot of interesting logic-type of problems which help apply the math skills which the kids have learned.

In the summer I have used Singapore's Extra Practice workbooks for review and practice (not to teach new information), though this year I will probably use the Intensive Practice workbooks instead.

My math-guy husband and I think this math "program" is excellent. In our opinion, it covers the best of the American-style instruction while adding in some of the Asian style teaching to the mix. Our kids seem to be very solid in their math knowledge, skills, and application.

You were using MM earlier. What is it that you prefer about SM?

I'm not totally sold on MM to continue next year.

Is the instructional portion of SM pretty quick?

TIA

DS likes the presentation better. Singapore also isn't as incremental as MM is, and DS doesn't need the incremental instruction.

MM was great for what we needed it for though! Accelerating through Singapore would have been expensive, and DS did like MM for quite a while (coming from Saxon in school). He just got bored with the presentation, and he liked the fun way Singapore presented the same material (eg, when doing multiplication facts, MM does a table... Singapore does a spider web in the IP... spider web is way more fun to a 7 year old, even though he's doing the exact same thing in both exercises).

Instruction in Singapore takes a little longer than MM, but it gets us discussing math more, which I like. :)

We went from Singapore to Math in Focus to Math Mammoth and now are using Math U See. Dd1 just didn't get the Singapore approach, and Math in Focus was a bit slower and more enjoyable for it but wasn't enough help with word problems. I was circling the airport with Math Mammoth when I found Math U See. Dd1 is very language arts oriented, so Mr. Demme's stories and oddities actually help her a lot. I hear her acting out his stories. I don't care, though, because she's mastering the content instead of just trying to get through it. Dd2 doesn't like the videos as much as dd1, but she understands it quickly and moves on with her work. Neither girl really grasped place value that well until decimal street, and we worked on it all the time.

There's no perfect math. There is the curriculum that meets your child's needs, and that is different for every child.

I love Dreambox for younger DD because she genuinely enjoys it, she's able to move at her own pace and it's a conceptual program that reminds me of Right Start.

:iagree:We discovered Dreambox a few months ago, and it is the perfect math curriculum for my youngest. Nothing else was working for my son, but with Dreambox he loves math now. It has been wonderful.

We've found what's "perfect" for us, right now. It is always subject to change when our needs or situations change. Right now, that's Miquon as a spine for The Sponge with MEP problems as a supplement, plus math drill games. For The Drama, it's MEP with occasional math games. I plan to try Beast Academy next year with Miquon as a supplement instead for The Sponge. Maybe it will be more perfect. ;)

I don't believe there is a perfect program out there, but I love BJU math (newest 3rd editions, not the older).

The lessons are well laid out for a parent at home with a scripted lesson for those that need it. Manipulatives and hands-on work are used to teach concepts. The daily lessons are a great length with work that can be done along side the child and work that can be independent. The TM comes with a CD containing so many resources (extra practice, enrichment exercises, teaching charts, etc.).

Who said I love it?

I tolerate because it gets the job done. I use a math curriculum because I am not comfortable teaching math without one......I am always looking for better math curricula that are jot overload, over boring, over kill.....ALWAYS!!!!

I wish I could find one I love....Latin too....and writing.....sigh.....

Faithe

Our favorites are Singapore and Right Start, but neither is perfect.

I love Singapore because it reviews concepts by using them in the next sections of the book instead of giving numerous review problems that all look alike. When my kids can use the math they've learned, I know they understand it. Also, I like that Singapore gives the skeleton of the lesson and I can fill it in with my own words and manipulatives.

Right Start has been great for my very dyslexic 10 yo because it teaches concepts in such small increments. We don't use it every day, but when she has trouble grasping a concept, I backtrack to RS.

I have two. Singapore math is our prime one. It pushes and pushes, sometimes to the point where we abandon it for a time but we always come back for more and for the reward of finally understanding it. I also love Math Mammoth because it's always there when we get fed up with Singapore to hold our hand and get us back on track.

And when I say I love those two programs, yes, I mean deep emotional attachment and ooey-gooey, mushy feelings. :D

I'm beginning to think the most important thing is to not jump around to different math curricula ... not that I've followed that advice! :tongue_smilie:

I've used all of the following with my oldest:

1. Ruth Beechick's 3Rs Math Ideas

2. Miquon Math

3. Developmental Math

4. Ray's Arithmetic

5. Horizons

6. RightStart

7. Teaching Textbooks

8. MathUSee

MUS is working for us now, and I keep having to resist the urge to move to something else! My son really struggled with math, and I guess I thought the problem was always the curriculum. I think he really just needed time...

(I am adding in Life of Fred Elementary soon, just for some fun review of concepts ... but we're not leaving MUS, so I think I don't count that as jumping around!)

Is there REALLY a perfect math curriculum out there?

No, absolutely not.

At the K-3 level I have never found anything that I would use by itself with nothing outside the book. Sure, I like Miquon for exploration. Sure, I like Kumon for mastery. I wouldn't use either alone. For that matter I like Singapore. I like number bonds. I wouldn't use it alone. For the littlest guys I like wedgits, pattern blocks, and c-rods. From there I like dominoes, dice, and cards. Number play and spatial play. If I had it to do again, I just don't know that I would bother with a textbook at all in K-3.

After that I have a love/hate relationship with Saxon 54-87. If I had these grades to do again, I would definitely begin with Saxon. I like looking at a bunch of different topics in a problem set. I enjoy discussing them and looking at them different ways. I enjoy teaching this level of math.

However, I don't know that I would stay with Saxon. My oldest was dyslexic and I feel pretty strongly that the years we spent with Saxon were full of frustration with every gain being fought for outside the text rather than in it. He should have been in MUS- a mastery program with patient video instruction.

HTH-

Mandy

There are moments I love Right Start B like when my daughter (8yrs) is doing really well with it and there are moments when I hate it when it makes huge conceptual leaps and when I have to find the things I need for each of the games/activities etc. I am sort of an open and go kind of person.I am horrible at looking ahead and figuring out what I need to make /prepare ahead of time. Once I get in a roll, I hate to realize Oh shucks I need to stop everything and go make this and that before we can go on in the lesson. EEK! My latest issue is figuring which number cards I need for each of the games. I am temped to buy more of the green cards and just make sets for each game and place them in sandwich bags so the kids can go and grab a game out of the drawer without needing me to sit and figure out which numbers and how many of them they need.

I have very little complaints with TT other than I have to work a book or two ahead for my kids. I don;t use it as my main spine. It is used for review. I teach a concept on the board with the kids and then eventually they will get that same topic with TT and it would be reviewed. I have kids who forget even though they know it. They do both the book and computer.

I use Key To series and I have been content...but I don;t like the measurement book. I think it is missing a few pages or something. My older girls use these. They do two pages of fractions (two books into it), two pages of decimals, measurement, metric measurement and one page in percents.

The two older girls also use Hands On Algebra. We like this program a lot although the verbal math problems are HARD! They struggle and struggle with these.

I plan to do MEP1 and 3 with the kids over the summer.

I have no idea what I am going to do for next year! Any ideas?