Menu

Thinking of leaving R&S English next year, but for what?

m0mmaBuck

I'm thinking about leaving it also, but not because we don't like it. I am considering using A Beka DVD program to lighten my load since I am due in October. I think I'm going to miss R&S, but I think A Beka will be nice, also.

I'm thinking about leaving it also, but not because we don't like it. I am considering using A Beka DVD program to lighten my load since I am due in October. I think I'm going to miss R&S, but I think A Beka will be nice, also.

Is that more of a workbook-style program? Does it have the same strong emphasis on the basics?

Another thing is that some children are placed too high in some grammar programs. If a mom knows she isn't going to finish a series, because it is getting too in depth into areas that have less meaning and usefulness, then there is no rush to be at grade level.

I find I am becoming a fan of using very rigorous programs below grade level. Because they are written for younger students there is great effort to make the material very understandable. But too often they expect too much scholastically and in volume of work.

What would happen if you reviewed last year's text? R&S is years ahead of your local PS. What if last years text said next year's grade on it, and said it was to be spread out for 2 years? What would you think of it then?

Mind you we are only on day 2 of MCT but my kids that HATED English are LOVING Grammar Island. I am sure you would probably want to start at a higher level but the format of the program is what is intriguing and has my ADHD son paying attention and labeling nouns and pronouns on day 2...

I love Rod & Staff, but we left it this year for MCT...My son is in 5th and LOVES MCT...He said R&S was okay, but he enjoys MCT much more...

I miss it a little though :o, but won't give up MCT for it...

Would someone be kind enough to tell me what MCT is? :001_smile:

Would someone be kind enough to tell me what MCT is? :001_smile:

I will :D...MCT is a language arts program written by Michael Clay Thompson...The website to view more info is here ...

ETA: I saw MCT speak in person, and fell in love with the program then...I am not sure the website would have given me the same feeling, though others here may have "felt the love" just by seeing the stuff on the website

:tongue_smilie:

Edited by TheAutumnOak

I looked at the MCT page. I just do not get it. Looking at the previews it looks like a book to read. Can someone enlighten me on this? Also I have seen it for young kids and older, what is a good developmental know-how for this! I did not use age because my son is delayed.

Edited by Emagine
Ipad auto word

I will :D...MCT is a language arts program written by Michael Clay Thompson...The website to view more info is here ...

ETA: I saw MCT speak in person, and fell in love with the program then...I am not sure the website would have given me the same feeling, though others here may have "felt the love" just by seeing the stuff on the website

:tongue_smilie:

Thank you!!! I know lots of homeschool abbreviations, but there are still a few that have me stymied! :tongue_smilie:

I'll check it out!

I looked at the MCT page. I just do not get it. Looking at the previews it looks like a book to read. Can someone enlighten me on this? Also I have seen it for young kids and older, what is a good developmental know-how for this! I did not use age because my son is delayed.

:iagree:

I'd love to hear more about MCT as well!

I bought MCT Grammar Island used this past year for my 3rd grader who didn't really take to R&S 2. She is a good student and usually picks up concepts quickly. While she LOVED the stories and found them engaging, she had little retention. So we went to R&S 3 and will possible pick up Island again this spring or next fall when I hope she's ready for it. We are using the poetry and vocabulary book and I like how gentle they are. The poetry book is very open-ended and relaxed. My biggest problem is the cost. The package is about $150 (and I enjoy the extras as it helps with the big picture) and that's about half of what I'm looking at spending for 4th grade next year. So now I'm looking at alternatives since I don't like jumping around with curriculum and I don't think the writing is strong enough in MCT from the samples I've seen of the upper levels. Just my $.02.