Menu

Tooth Fairy....

lexi

Ok, to pull the tooth or not?? :confused:

My daughter's tooth is very loose and I can see the other tooth already coming in. But she's a drama queen and doesn't want us to pull it but it's bugging her. It's past 10 pm here and she's still awake. So, how do you know when to pull or not? And what is the best way to get that tooth out???

And what's the going rate for the tooth fairy anyway? :tongue_smilie:

Can you tell we're first timers with this??? :lol:

Gonna be a long night....she'll probably end up doing it herself....I've had so many of those nights. Good luck, best wishes, pour yourself a glass of wine! :)

You might want to get some Tylenol etc. handy for her if there is any pain involved, even just for the headache she might give herself with all the drama.

I feel for ya.

I would tell her to go to bed and quick whining to you about it or you will pull it. She's fine to work it out by herself but the whining would get on my nerves, as it probably is yours. And the not sleeping. :glare:

The best way to pull, is really more of a push. Use a paper towel to prevent slipping but you don't want to grab the tooth on both sides and pull. That doesn't generally work (at least for me.) Wiggle it lightly to see where it is loose and where it is still putting up a fight. I like to count to three and then push down very hard (very hard...you only get one shot) in the same direction it's loose. If that makes any sense. Yes, it hurts. But just for a minute

Good luck.:001_smile:

We pull. Almost all the teeth in our house have been pulled at the kids' request. However, the first teeth of one of my ds were pulled against his will... the dentist said they needed to go but our dental insurance is rotten and they were so loose. We had to hold him down. It was terrible. But once we'd done it, the kid was fine and it was dh in tears. He told me, "Never make me do that again!" Aw...

If it's super loose, I'd go ahead and pull it. Get a piece of gauze, get a hold of the tooth, and just yank.

SNIP

Oh and btw, now that she's started losing teeth, make sure you keep a stash of tooth fairy money in your lingerie drawer.

:iagree:

Instead of rinsing with water, we use an extra piece of gauze to apply pressure to stop the bleeding.

The kids have a little wooden tooth-fairy box to put it in under their pillow. If you can't find one of those, a little pillow with a pocket for the tooth is a quick hand-sewing project.

We only pay $1 ($5 if pulled by the oral surgeon under anesthesia).

Thanks! She finally fell asleep tonight with the tooth still hanging on. I think tomorrow night will be the night the tooth fairy visits. I'm ready for that thing to be gone and to hear no more complaints! I think getting it out will be dh's job and not mine!

For dd- I told her to just let me look at it (with gauze) and pulled! LOL. She yanked back and said not to wiggle because it hurt, then realized it was gone and laughed.

For ds- I pull them while he's sleeping.

We don't do the tooth fairy, but they get a quarter and have to hunt for it. I leave them a map to the first clue under the pillow.

My grandma made each of the kids a 'tooth fairy' pillow. Probably similar to the link PP posted. The kids love them and it makes the teeth easy to find. We make a big deal out of the first tooth and give them a $5 bill. Other teeth are $1.

If you can see the next tooth coming in, it might push the old tooth off eventually. The first tooth to be pulled is always the most dramatic. Sometimes bribing with ice cream isn't a bad thing. KWIM?

Since we are foster parents, we do not tell the kids the tooth fairy is real (these kids have enough trust issues as it is). We do still believe in the 'spirit of fun' when it comes to tooth faries, Santa, etc. Keeps it fun without the fear of getting busted. lol

Hope you guys managed some sleep last night. We have a trick that has always worked for those teeth hanging by a thread. The best part was our drama queen would actually relax.

We would fill a cup with warm water. Using a children's medicine syringe, we would bathe the threads repeatedly. While doing this, we would begin twisting the tooth, over and over again. The warm water soothes any discomfort and helps to dissolve those pesky threads holding onto the tooth. The tooth will literally just fall out in your hand. No pain, no discomfort. The warm water washes away any blood as it comes to the surface so you don't have to hear the screams of "I'm bleeding!!! AHHH!"

Our tooth fairy's going rate is $5 for the first four teeth and $1 for every tooth after...

I can personally testify that a dangling tooth can hang on for at least two weeks. DD's last one could moved in any direction, but she REFUSED to let anyone touch it. Eventually it fell out during the night. :001_rolleyes:

So you can wait till it falls out on it own. It will happen eventually. It just might surprise you how long it can take!

I can personally testify that a dangling tooth can hang on for at least two weeks. DD's last one could moved in any direction, but she REFUSED to let anyone touch it. Eventually it fell out during the night. :001_rolleyes:

So you can wait till it falls out on it own. It will happen eventually. It just might surprise you how long it can take!

Yes, and I can testify that the permanent tooth can come in without forcing the baby tooth out. My 7yo has this situation right now. It's loose but she doesn't like to fiddle with it and won't let me in there. We saw the dentist this week and the dentist told both of us to get that thing out of there. :glare:

Well, the tooth is still in this morning. I'm going to have hubby help me tonight. But her job is to wiggle it all day.

I noticed the one next to this one is coming loose too. Sigh! We are going to have to go through this again. For some reason the teeth thing grosses me out!

Hmm, I never really thought we were cheap, but we must be. We give a dollar for the first tooth and then a quarter thereafter.

Oh well, with the youngest turning 11 soon, we're nearly done with TF money (although all belief in the TF was probably dashed about four years ago -- but we still play along).

We are personally horrible at Santa, E. Bunny, T Fairy because we never really have put up a good ruse. A typical conversation at our house:

Kid: "Hey mom, my tooth fell out."

Me: "That's great. Wrap it in a tissue or put it in a baggie and put it under your pillow."

Fast forward to bedtime.

Dad (within earshot of kid): "Hey, Mom?"

Me: "Yes?"

Dad: "I might end up going to lunch tomorow downtown where there are parking meters. Say, do you have any ... uh, spare quarters?"

Me: "Oh, I think so. Wow, this is a Mississippi quarter and a new one at that. Do you want the Mississippi quarter?"

Dad: "Oh, that sounds nice!"

Fast forward to breakfast

Me: "Did you get a quarter from the TF?"

KId: "Forgot to check"

Later

Kid: "I got a shiny new Mississippi quarter."

Me: "Isn't that what you were expecting?"

Kid: giggle wink

We have one little girl with one less tooth tonight! Whew! My hubby is my hero as he was able to wiggle her tooth and then push on it before she could protest and that little tooth is under her pillow! She was slightly traumatized but I think she'll survive! She actually went to bed because the tooth is no longer driving her crazy!

So, now to go put on my fairy wings and pay the child. I still can't believe she's old enough to have lost a tooth! :001_huh: