Menu

Luggage from JC Penney....

I have an older version of that same set. It's 9 years old and has held up well to the limited traveling we have done. It's probably made 8-9 flights, 2 cruises and 20+ car trips with some of the pieces. This set is pre-spinner wheels so if the complaints are about them then I can't tell you anything.

The material hasn't worn down at all and all the zippers are working despite the bags being overloaded many times.

Personally, now that one-bag travel is all the rage, and after dragging suitcases around in Europe several times, I would not buy a bag that wasn't lightweight. Why use up 20% of your weight allowance on the bag? The ad you posted doesn't mention the weight of the bags, so I would at least want to feel them in-person before buying.

You may also consider stopping at your local thrift store. Our dd found a great carry-on-with-wheels for just $6.

(IMO, it seems like it would be quite a challenge to manage all 5 of those pieces, with potential theft if left unattended. Friends moved internationally with locking Rubbermaid bins.)

You may also consider stopping at your local thrift store. Our dd found a great carry-on-with-wheels for just $6.

(IMO, it seems like it would be quite a challenge to manage all 5 of those pieces, with potential theft if left unattended. Friends moved internationally with locking Rubbermaid bins.)

I agree. You've mentioned before that she has a backpack (I think that was you?), and that she's fairly minimal by nature. She's also likely to do some traveling while she's there, for which she'll want a smaller, carry-on case. She's not going to be able to wrangle/use all five pieces in the set. Really, two rolling bags and a backpack is the max one person can reasonably handle. Having more gear makes her less mobile, less self-sufficient, and more vulnerable. So I'd purchase one larger checked bag (probably quite large, to maximize what she can take), one smaller carry on sized bag (for shorter trips), and leave it at that. By going for just the two instead of a whole set, you can spend more on each item and get higher quality. Marshalls and TJ Maxx often have luggage for quite good prices. Go and look, and be sure to lift a few (empty) bags to get a weight comparison. Weights vary *widely*. You might even want to go to an expensive luggage store, just to get a sense of what you might want to keep an eye out for at a discount store.

This article has some good but pricey suggestions. This Rick Steves carry-on is more reasonable, and still lightweight. Check eBay for lower prices.

My extended family pretty much shares our cases, with whoever is going somewhere taking the ones that fit the trip best. It's a good way to have access to a variety of cases without everyone having to own everything.

Don't forget she can purchase things like larger amounts of toiletries when she arrives. She will want to buy some new clothes while she's there, so allow for that in your planning. Things like school supplies are better purchased there too.

Edited by askPauline

She'd only be taking the 28" & 21" bags on this trip. She would take just the backpack if we'd let her but she'll be gone 5 1/2 months and can take two pieces at no charge. We plan on her buying some things there but, honestly, she hates to shop so I want to make sure she has the basics. We thought she'd then have other sizes to pick/choose from in future traveling. She has an engineering conference this fall & an internship in Texas in 2013 so will be able to take what she needs. We checked it out in the store it seems durable/lightweight & she likes it. We also checked TJ Maxx, Sears, Macy's, Goodwill and a couple of other places. I'll go back tonight and read the article & check out the Rick Steves site when I have more time. Thanks for all the suggestions!