Menu

Washing Dishes

How do you wash dishes?  

1. 1. How do you wash dishes?

• By hand
    • Dishwasher

By default, I have to wash by hand. No dishwasher in he place we are renting. :( It's a hassle, especially when I get behind, but I do like it that we don't have to listen to a dishwasher run forever. Where we used to live, the dishwasher was new, but cheap and it was noisy, stinky, and often did not drain well.

I couldn't answer the poll. I prefer both. I sometimes load the dishwasher, but often don't have enough to run a load of dishes for a couple of days. I often do a bunch of dishes by hand because I think I get more done that way. I have so many items that can't go in the dishwasher that once I get going doing those by hand, I wash a number of other items that could go in the dishwasher. So sometimes I prefer just loading it up and running it, but other times I know I'll get a lot more done by doing it by hand, so I often choose to do it that way.

Mostly I use the dishwasher, so that's what I voted. You needed an option for both though. I wash certain knives, wooden items, cookware (only the hard anodized nonstick) and glassware in the sink. Also parts of the stove etc.

I'm always done with those few things long before the dishwasher's done. Even if I ended up washing nearly half of them by hand, I'm glad to have it. I've had enough of standing in the kitchen by the time we wash dinner dishes.

I couldn't answer the poll. I prefer both. I sometimes load the dishwasher, but often don't have enough to run a load of dishes for a couple of days. I often do a bunch of dishes by hand because I think I get more done that way. I have so many items that can't go in the dishwasher that once I get going doing those by hand, I wash a number of other items that could go in the dishwasher. So sometimes I prefer just loading it up and running it, but other times I know I'll get a lot more done by doing it by hand, so I often choose to do it that way.

:iagree:

And sometimes I prefer the mindlessness of standing there washing dishes while my mind drifts. Since I look busy no one bothers me. Ssshhhh, don't tell them I'm only pretending it's work.

Dishwasher! If it can't go in the dishwasher we find something that can. The only exception is my muffin pan. It says it's dishwasher safe, but I didn't like how it washed, so now I handwash it.

Well, I prefer "by dishwasher," but since I don't have one, I have to go with second choice. Actually, though, "by husband" is pretty nice too, especially when it's a surprise.:D

Oh, and in a couple of years, if we still don't have a dishwasher, I'm sure we'll make extensive use of "by kid." :tongue_smilie:

Dishwasher, except the very few things that aren't dishwasher safe, or which are too big to fit. I blitz out the blender with water and dishwashing liquid, then it just needs a quick rinse. I'll stack up and run again later if it doesn't all fit. (It uses way less water to run the dishwasher than to wash by hand, though that's not my reason. :) Still, I live in a place with water restrictions and every bit helps.)

I always put in pots, pans, dishes, plates, sharp knives, wooden spoons and cutting boards - wooden and plastic. My favourite board was lost in a move, but it must have been in the dishwasher practically every day for the better part of a decade. :(

Min

Dishwasher, except the very few things that aren't dishwasher safe, or which are too big to fit. I blitz out the blender with water and dishwashing liquid, then it just needs a quick rinse. I'll stack up and run again later if it doesn't all fit. (It uses way less water to run the dishwasher than to wash by hand, though that's not my reason. :) Still, I live in a place with water restrictions and every bit helps.)

I always put in pots, pans, dishes, plates, sharp knives, wooden spoons and cutting boards - wooden and plastic. My favourite board was lost in a move, but it must have been in the dishwasher practically every day for the better part of a decade. :(

Min

My bamboo cutting boards split if I do this--but my dishwasher heats to 160 degrees.