Menu

Ok, here's what I want...suggestions? long

aprilsblessings

What about unit studies where you add in the phonics and math? We've started using the Amanda Bennet unit studies, which take MUCH longer than advertised (I will be using the "one week" Passport: Germany for almost a month, I'd estimate--it's 128 pages packed with stuff). They have writing, Bible verses, grammar (a bit), vocabulary, history, geography, science, recipes/food history, art/crafty things, lapbook elements, and a long book list to choose from for every day. I've heard good things about Intellego and KONOS unit studies as well.

Thank you! These look awesome

There is something I want to add...

One of the best pieces of advice that I got when DD was just a baby was to tell stories, not just read them. So I did, from very early on. I would make the day into a story, long before she could answer me (but she did understand pretty much.) We made up stories in the car, each person taking turns. I told Bible stories and fairy tales and history stories for years, and that meant that I could get things done while keeping everyone occupied with a story. This has been immeasurably helpful, and is a skill that has grown in everyone in our family because of it. It has helped with public speaking,vocabulary, and with working in groups as well as with homeschooling and academics.

Thank you, this is such a GREAT idea!!!

I have to watch as sometimes I have let doing a curriculum get in the way of education.

I truly don't think it's the curriculum (obviously) but me and my whole mind set and attitude.

Hmmm... sounds like this might be more of my problem.

Honestly when I first read Carol's amazing plan that she posted, I was overwhelmed. I think because I have to decide and wouldn't have a curriculum telling me exactly what I should do. Then thinking about how I simply started reading a chapter from Proverbs at lunch and then add a poem or two and then added a picture book (or 2;)) - that is when things are working and the learning is taking place in a relaxed way. I am not stressed feeling like I don't know if I can get things done. I am not frustrated not liking what the curriculum is telling me I should be doing but not wanting to skip it in fear of missing something. And - gasp - it is simple, even easy! In one weeks time just by doing those simple things (at snack or lunch time) we have read 5 chapters in the bible, 14+ picture books, 5 poems, and somtimes 5 chapters in a chapter book. Now I need to be brave to step out of the "box" (ha ha pun intended) to apply these simple steps to science, history, etc....we know I have the books around.:001_smile:

Thank you for making me reflect and see that a curriculum does not dictate the education that my children are receiving!

Carol (and anyone) keep the advice coming!!! I wish you lived closer to WI, I would be over with my notebook to pick your brain more.:D

aprilsblessings,

For phonics my hands down absolute favorite is All About Reading. My 5 year old LOVES it! I wish I'd had it for the older one. :thumbup:

My ds and dd are reading CVC words. Do you think it would be worth while using AAR? I actually ordered it because it does look amazing but now I am having second thoughts wondering if there is enough there to make it worthwhile for where my kids are at. (kind of expensive for us) I am also concerned seeing how many lessons there are that the AAR2 won't be out quick enough. I watched the 1st one keep getting pushed back when it was released.

What do you think? Have you gotten very far in the program to know if it would be adding much for my dc? I want to keep moving them forward because they both seem ready.

aprilsblessings,

This go around, I'm using Phonics Pathways and ETC workbooks. I'm also adding in the Pathway Readers. It's working very well, and it's inexpensive, too. I found an earlier edition (8th?) of PP on Amazon for just a few dollars.

I'm not that familiar with ETC. Does it line up somewhat with PP or do you just have your ds do a page or two?

My ds and dd are reading CVC words. Do you think it would be worth while using AAR? I actually ordered it because it does look amazing but now I am having second thoughts wondering if there is enough there to make it worthwhile for where my kids are at. (kind of expensive for us) I am also concerned seeing how many lessons there are that the AAR2 won't be out quick enough. I watched the 1st one keep getting pushed back when it was released.

What do you think? Have you gotten very far in the program to know if it would be adding much for my dc? I want to keep moving them forward because they both seem ready.

I bought AAR Pre-1 when my son was a late 4 year old but more than ready to learn to read actually. I worried that it would be a waste of money and he would be beyond it but AAR 1 wasn't out yet. There wasn't anything else I wanted to use. So I got it but wasn't consistent with it (story of my life :ack2:) and decided to sell it to purchase BJU K Distance Learning. BJU K was a complete flop and 3 months in I broke down and bought AAR Pre-1 because AAR 1 still wasn't out just yet. It's been the best decision. Pre-1 has done so much more than teach us the letters and their sounds.

In looking over AAR 1 I see so much more than simple phonics. AAR is like AAS in that there are steps in the curriculum but those steps are not lessons. A step could take 1 day or 5 days or anything in between. If your children are reading CVC I still recommend starting at the beginning and move as quickly as your children need. Looking at some of the middle and latter steps I see much richness beyond CVC words. You might move quickly in the early steps but find that you have to take some steps closer. Just remember to go at each child's pace. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised and at the depth of AAR (I'm assuming you bought AAR 1).

I'm pretty passionate about AAS and now AAR. Marie has made it so simple to do each day. She took OG methods and made them so easy to teach. That really is the beauty of AAS and AAR to me. It teaches me how to teach. Because of the ease of use it gets done more consistently then most other things. AAS has helped my older son so much. I'd pay the money all over again if I had to. It's worth every dime to me. Every time I sit down with my 5 year old to do AAR I wish I'd had it for my older one. As you can probably tell I believe in it :tongue_smilie:

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Honestly when I first read Carol's amazing plan that she posted, I was overwhelmed. I think because I have to decide and wouldn't have a curriculum telling me exactly what I should do.

I feel the same way reading it! I also just want to cry reading it because it's exactly how I want to do things.

If I could just get out of my own way...... I'm making some mental progress though. I've decided to not buy stuff immediately when the tax return is deposited this week. A few days ago it was a sure thing :001_huh:

In looking over AAR 1 I see so much more than simple phonics. AAR is like AAS in that there are steps in the curriculum but those steps are not lessons. A step could take 1 day or 5 days or anything in between. If your children are reading CVC I still recommend starting at the beginning and move as quickly as your children need. Looking at some of the middle and latter steps I see much richness beyond CVC words. You might move quickly in the early steps but find that you have to take some steps closer. Just remember to go at each child's pace. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised and at the depth of AAR (I'm assuming you bought AAR 1).

I've been wondering the same thing! We are about halfway finished with McRuffy's Phonics K, but I'm not sure that I want to continue with their first grade program. I really like the looks of AAR-1, but have been afraid that my daughter will be past it by the time we finish McRuffy Kindergarten. If we go on and do AAR-1, what if we speed through it and AAR-2 isn't out yet??? I would be in another hard spot! Too many decisions!!!!

Honestly when I first read Carol's amazing plan that she posted, I was overwhelmed. I think because I have to decide and wouldn't have a curriculum telling me exactly what I should do.

Carol (and anyone) keep the advice coming!!! I wish you lived closer to WI, I would be over with my notebook to pick your brain more.:D

Well, I do love WI--I have relatives in Milwaukee. It's a great place!

Re. the overwhelm thing...it's kind of like I felt when I first started to tell stories instead of just reading them. I was self-conscious, and worried. But after doing it for a while, I've grown to really enjoy it and feel pretty proficient--so much so that I don't teach Sunday school but rather do the openings, because I get to write those myself.

Doing your own homeschooling without a minute by minute or class by class director is not necessary. If you like that direction, there is nothing wrong with it. But personally, when I was decided whether or not to homeschool, and reading up on it, some of the things I was most drawn to included avoiding traffic, having field trips during the week with no crowds, and being able to figure out my child's best way of learning and do that. FOR ME, it is much more easy and enjoyable to be doing a bunch of reading aloud and talking during the early elementary years than following someone else's instructions. If that is not true for you, don't do it! But really, up to age 5 I didn't use any curricula. We visited historical sites and museums and science fairs, and I read aloud a lot, and we talked about everything, and I gave DD a lot of time and encouragment and materials for imaginative play and for making things, and I wrote down stories that she made up for her. She learned letters pretty much without conscious work on my part.

So when I thought about homeschooling, I wanted to add early science literacy, to add world history as well as US history because I like it and it gives context to US history, and to keep reading and talking a lot, thus building on the natural work together that we were doing already. I needed curricula for math and for teaching reading/phonics. But I CHOSE curricula for a few other things, like SOTW, and then used them the way I wanted to, not the way they said, because I liked it better and it spoke better to the children I taught.

More than anything, I encourage thinking critically about YOUR children, and about what YOU want to teach them, and figuring out how to do it the best way for THEM and for YOU, and not being a slave to curricula. TWTM is great because it tells you how to cover absolutely everything. But that doesn't mean that you have to do everything every year. It's also great because it's like an apprenticeship in teaching history, literature, and writing without formal curricula, at least in the first edition. You can do this!

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Just wanted to suggest you take a look at Ambleside Online. I use it loosely but definitely love many of Charlotte Mason's ideas. We are CMers more than AOers but the AO booklist and resources (including yahoo groups) are AWESOME. I am learning so much and just love the change in our educational environment since I started trusting myself and not worrying about following someone's curriculum.

The hardest thing for me to do as a homeschooling mom is to just RELAX. I know that me being stressed out and rushing around to get it all done doesn't lead to a fabulous learning environment.

Good luck!