Menu

San Diego ???'s

We might be going with DH on a business trip to San Diego. He would be in a conference for a few days, then we would probably stay a few days extra to do "touristy" things with him.

I am wondering if San Diego would be a fun place for a child(9 years old)? What is it like in late summer? AND, do you NEED a car, or is the public transportation enough?

I am not much of a traveler, and I have NEVER been this far from home :lol:! I have no idea what to expect, where to go, or if it would even be worth it. The flight alone is soooooo long, particularly on the way back with the time change.

For anyone who has some experience with San Diego, I would appreciate any insight!

The weather will be lovely. Depending on what time of summer you're there, there may be a "marine layer" in the early part of the day, but it will usually burn off and the weather will be lovely. The San Diego Zoo is amazing! All of Balboa Park is cool. The beach is great; if you have time, and you/your child are animal lovers, you can drive up to La Jolla where you can see a colony of harbor seals, and very near by, at La Jolla Cove, you may see sea lions.

Wendi

All I can say is that San Diego is absolutely beautiful and that if you have a chance to go, you should! :)

I agree! You'd find tons to do with a 9yo.

I'd rent a car.

Attractions:

San Diego Zoo

Seaworld

Beach (La Jolla tidepools)

Legoland (about 45 min. north)

Aircraft carrier (can't remember the name)

Balboa Park has tons of museums, including a Science Museum

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. San Diego is a wonderful place to visit.

I love San Diego and so do my kids. It is pretty spread out though so you might consider renting a car. There is a trolley that runs around San Diego proper, but beyond that I can't tell you about public transportation - we have friends that live there and they drive us when we visit.

This is a really good guide:

http://sdcvb.imirus.com/Mpowered/book/vcvb11/i2/p1

San Diego is wonderful, our favorite spot. You could spend the day in the gaslight district and not need a car, you can walk around- but it would be more fun for you than for your kids- lots of shops and restaurants.

For fun with the kids, you will probably need to rent a car. The zoo is fantastic, Sea world is wonderful. Balboa park, where the zoo is, also has several great museums. Google Balboa park.

The beaches are great, one of our favorite spots is Coronado Island, you can explore the Hotel Del (they have a candy shop and an exhibit about the Wizard of Oz series) and the beach behind the hotel is beautiful.

I grew up in San Diego. It's an awesome place for kids! Things my siblings and I enjoyed:

1. The beach: For swimming, we like La Jolla Shores. A little further south (La Jolla Cove) is great for tide pools or watching seals.

2. The zoo: It is an excellent zoo. The Wild Animal Park is also super, but it is ~45 min. northeast.

3. Balboa Park: The zoo is in Balboa Park. There are also museums (train museum and science museum were our favorites). When I was growing up there were free organ concerts on Sunday afternoon on the outside pipe organ.

4. Old Town: There are museums here, the old village, a haunted house, and yummy food.

5. Sea World: Not as cool as the zoo or the other things I listed above, but the shows are good. We took our kids a little over a year ago and it was rated "ok" by them.

Public transit is not great. You can get around on buses, but it will take awhile and may be quite inconvenient. The trolley is fun, but not terribly practical. We only took the trolley when we visited Tijuana, Mexico. We would park in Old Town and ride the trolley to the border. You will find it much easier to see things with a car.

We are planning a San Diego vacation for September. I want to rent a house near La Jolla Shores and take my kids to the places above (minus Sea World, since we went recently). :)

I live in San Diego and there are tons of things to do with kids. What kinds of activities do you like? I can steer you better - beaches, hikes, amusement parks, museums, shows, food?

In late summer, the coastal areas will be warm and inland will be hot. The range between the two can be 70 - 100+ degrees. It may be cool in the evenings. Beyond June, there won't be too many chances of rain.

In terms of transportation, it depends on where you are staying and your activity choices. The coastal areas are geared for walking. If you stay near the convention center you may want a car depending on activity choices.

*Check out info on Balboa Park (zoo, museums, performances), Legoland (Carlsbad), Wild Animal Park (will be HOT), Birch Aquarium, beaches depending on your location, Sea World.*

There are tons of other places, but that might get you started. I'm happy to answer any other questions.

WOW! Lots of responses already!

I am VERY concerned about the heat...We went to Florida in August, 2 years ago and the weather was a complete nightmare. I didn't know heat like that existed on earth :lol:! It ruined the whole trip, we were misraeble the whole time we were outside. This would be over Labor day weekend, and I am a little worried about how busy it might be too.

I don't know where we are staying, I am going to have to look into that!

Based on your responses, it sounds like a fun place, and we probably need a car.

San Diego is where folks go to escape the heat of the summer. Stay within one mile of the coast, though. I highly recommend Legoland -- there are nice cool breezes there -- bring a sweatshirt. If you get the Lego Club magazine, you should be able to find a free admission or at least some discounts. And definitely bring swimsuit and towels because they have a GREAT waterpark there. Even Sea World has a ton of water activities so bring your swimsuit and towel (they sell a lot of towels to folks who don't know about the fun water activities in advance). We are in San Diego during the school year, which starts August 15 so if you have any other questions, let me know. There are hotels in Liberty Station which are nice (Homewood Suites) and also one right on the water called Terrace or Pacific Terrace. But the latter is in Pacific Beach, which might horrify you with all the rowdy college-age peeps carrying on. Just warning you. But it is fun to bicycle the boardwalk, either in Pacific Beach or Mission Beach (around to Mission Bay). It is difficult/unpleasant to bicycle from La Jolla because the boardwalk is not continuous.

The traffic is pretty bad in the summer and the tourist attractions are crowded, but actually late summer is the best because everyone is home getting ready for the school year. So if the business trip is after Labor Day, go for it!

And I also love Cabrillo National Monument, which will be one of the cooler and breezier places to go. If you stay at a Liberty Station hotel, you will be near there. Not far from downtown either.

Have fun!

Julie

Edited by buddhabelly
Cabrillo National Monument

San Diego heat is nothing compared to...anywhere else. The humidity strikes a perfect balance between muggy and painfully dry. It has the most perfect weather I've ever lived in or visited. :) Dh is from the East Coast. Yucky, muggy, sticky hot there! Just stay near the coast and you will be comfortable.

I forgot about Cabrillo! The lighthouse is fun to visit. And Hotel del on Coronado is always fun. :)

I agree! You'd find tons to do with a 9yo.

I'd rent a car.

Attractions:

San Diego Zoo

Seaworld

Beach (La Jolla tidepools)

Legoland (about 45 min. north)

Aircraft carrier (can't remember the name)

Balboa Park has tons of museums, including a Science Museum

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. San Diego is a wonderful place to visit.

That's everything I would list, just add the Wild Animal Park. San Diego is one of my favorite places.