Menu

Just genetics or something else? - Dark circles under eyes (Pics included)

DD11 has always had darker circles under her eyes....but they seem to have gotten more prominent lately. I'm starting to wonder if they are just part of her genetics (which is what I always assumed), or if there is another cause for them?

She sees the pediatrician yearly and has always gotten a clean bill of health aside from her ADD & anxiety. She does battle digestive issues, but they seem to have subsided quite a bit in the last 6-8 months.

Any ideas/thoughts?

post-14952-13535086272531_thumb.jpg

post-14952-13535086272531_thumb.jpg

Allergy/sensitivity shiners. They are the first symptom of an allergy or sensitivity.

I have heard this too. I have really dark circles under my eyes as well. I've never bothered to get it checked out, but I keep hearing its a clear sign of allergies.

Another vote for allergy shiners. My allergic kiddo's are often dark, and he always has them to some degree. Exposures to allergens always worsens them. Could be environmental or food allergies.

One more thought, though unlikely if she's otherwise healthy - I had enormous dark circles under my eyes for years. But I was not healthy, just couldn't find the cause. Once we found and treated an underlying infection - the circles went away. For me, it was babesiosis. Whew. Glad to have the circles gone, though they were the least of my worries at the time!

I have always had dark circles and in the last 6 months they got a lot worse. I had blood work done at my last annual exam and it turns out I was severely Vit D deficient. I wear sunscreen on my face every day and since it is winter I am wearing sleeves/long pants.

I began taking Vit D supplements and in 3 weeks my under eye circles are still there but not nearly as prominent.

:bigear::bigear::bigear:

DD9 has had these forever (so has my mom, they have the same coloring), and it's always bothered me. I've heard the allergy connection and have also heard them specifically connected to a dairy sensitivity. We're going dairy-free in a few days for DD6, but I'm VERY curious to see if it will help DD9's shiners. I never thought of sugar or anything else, and she doesn't seem to have any other allergies or symptoms of anything. If dairy-free doesn't help, I have no idea where to start with anything else!

The thing is.....she's been tested for food allergies due to the digestive issues. Could environmental allergies do the same without obvious outward symptoms?

My son has food allergies, so he avoids the foods.

He still has the allergic shiners at different points during the year. In our case they are likely from the environmental allergies.

They lessen when he's on benadryl or when he's not exposed to many allergens. Unfortunately, his skin testing has him allergic to just about everything, so he often has the shiners.

The thing is.....she's been tested for food allergies due to the digestive issues. Could environmental allergies do the same without obvious outward symptoms?

Yes, me and just about all of my kids have seasonal allergies and we all have drak circles under our eyes. Sometimes that is the ony symptom but taking Zyrtek even when there are no other obvious symptoms helps. We are all extremely fair by the way.

ALLERGIES!!!! My son had/has terrible dark circles ... first thing our allergist said when he saw him is that something is triggering it. Turns out he has bad food allergies ... other than dark circles - he was having digestive issues...and hyperactivity/neuro symptoms.

Interestingly, I have major seasonal allergies. Genetics are not in her favor in terms of allergies.

Nobody in our immediate family has genetic dark circles, which is what makes me wonder if it IS something else. I'm not sure if the picture does them justice.....they are REALLY dark. It looks like she has black eyes a good portion of the time.

It runs in dh's family and our son has them. He definitely doesn't have food allergies, but I'm not sure about environmental. I'm not worried about it because our niece and nephew on dh's side also have it.

I have these horrible dark circles as well, as does my eldest son. I just had our whole family tested for allergies, and three guesses as to who has intolerances to wheat, eggs and dairy?

I thought it must be genetics as well, but lo and behold, it's food. And I feel SO MUCH BETTER now avoiding these things.

I have these horrible dark circles as well, as does my eldest son. I just had our whole family tested for allergies, and three guesses as to who has intolerances to wheat, eggs and dairy?

I thought it must be genetics as well, but lo and behold, it's food. And I feel SO MUCH BETTER now avoiding these things.

So, do you have intolerances or allergies? If it is intolerances, how did you find out?

My daughter gets those when she's been drinking milk. I have read that they're a common symptom of lactose intolerance. DD has no other lactose intolerance symptoms, but when I eliminate milk (she still gets lots of cheese, butter, yogurt, sour cream, etc -- cultured milk) they completely disappear.

See, I am very ambivalent about the "allergy shiner" thing. I heard this about ds. I had/have them, my mother has them, my brother has them. To me, it just seems like delicate eye skin and a light complexion that does it. I agree that tired or sick or in poor health will make this look a lot worse, but in the case of some family genetics, I think there's just always going to be some of this.

I went on a long and arduous food elimination program with ds when he was little, but it never made any difference in any "symptom," including the purple eye circles.

Testing negative doesn't mean a thing.

My son was diagnosed with severe learning delays and had diarrhea five times a day for a year and a half. The doctor's diagnosed "severe learning delays" and "family circumstances" (gee, thanks for blaming me) and could find nothing else wrong with him that would cause diarrhea. I had to do an elimination diet to find out he had severe lactose intolerance. I had specifically asked about that and told he tested negative. We removed dairy from his diet and the diarrhea was gone in three days, he started talking in three months, completely caught up (no delays) in two years, and is now way ahead. Yeah, I'm so glad I trusted the doctors on that one. :glare:

Oh, and he has allergic shiners. Years later, we found out that he is also allergic to most of the trees in this area and can't eat half a dozen fruits in their raw form. Can't really fix the tree thing so his bags are here to stay.

DD got them really bad (looked like a black eye) when she got dairy as a toddler.

Edited by joannqn

I think allergy shiners for both of the kiddos pictured.

My oldest dd had eyes like that, occasional unexplained tiredness, and started getting headaches. She tested off the chart for environmental allergies. The scratch test on her forearm sent red welts up to her armpit! I notice a difference in her eyes based on allergen exposure and medication.

Oh, and he has allergic shiners. Years later, we found out that he is also allergic to most of the trees in this area and can't eat half a dozen fruits in their raw form. Can't really fix the tree thing so his bags are here to stay.

Tree pollen allergies are supposed to respond well to allergy shots.

Tree pollen allergies are supposed to respond well to allergy shots.

Thanks, I'll ask about it when we see our doctor next. It was never suggested as an option. They prescribed Zyrtec (which gave him crazy mood swings) and a nasal spray.

Edited by joannqn

Thanks, I'll ask about it when we see our doctor next. It was never suggested as an option. They prescribed Zyrtec (which gave him craze mood swings) and a nasal spray.

My most recent allergist told me that pollens respond very well to shots, but dust, cat, and dog do not. That matches my experience. I went straight through the bottles to maintenance for pollens. I worked on the others for 8 years. :tongue_smilie:

My whole family must be allergic to the same stuff then. I have them, my mom has them, my sister and brother, and all 4 of my children. Now one of my children does get allergy shiners when his allergies are really bothering him. It is very different from the day to day dark circles he normally sports. I have yet to find a concealer that covers it enough to not look like the walking dead.

My whole family must be allergic to the same stuff then. I have them, my mom has them, my sister and brother, and all 4 of my children. Now one of my children does get allergy shiners when his allergies are really bothering him. It is very different from the day to day dark circles he normally sports. I have yet to find a concealer that covers it enough to not look like the walking dead.

If my (or her) entire family had them, I probably wouldn't even have asked. I do think it is sometimes genetic, but in her case (since she is the only one) is that the likely scenario?

When some of my children had them, I was concerned that they were not getting enough sleep or enough nutrients. I was surprised when their pediatrician said theirs were allergy shiners. They have seen several pediatricians and allergists since then, and all have agreed.

I think allergy shiners for both of the kiddos pictured.

My oldest dd had eyes like that, occasional unexplained tiredness, and started getting headaches. She tested off the chart for environmental allergies. The scratch test on her forearm sent red welts up to her armpit! I notice a difference in her eyes based on allergen exposure and medication.

Interesting. I am dairy-free, my kids are allowed small amounts of cheese but no other dairy. The specific dd pictured had no dairy for a year and still had them during that year.

So I'm guessing it isn't dairy for her.

But she does have seasonal allergies and takes zyrtec daily.

She's a strong, healthy kid - no real symptoms of anything weird. I only popped in because I was curious if there was a reason for it.

I only get nasty circles when I don't sleep enough.

Definitely allergies. My daughter who has severe allergies and asthma has no health problems at all in her new home in Central America. When she was home at Christmas, within 24 hours she had dark circles under her eyes and needed her inhaler. :(

Interesting. I am dairy-free, my kids are allowed small amounts of cheese but no other dairy. The specific dd pictured had no dairy for a year and still had them during that year.

So I'm guessing it isn't dairy for her.

But she does have seasonal allergies and takes zyrtec daily.

She's a strong, healthy kid - no real symptoms of anything weird. I only popped in because I was curious if there was a reason for it.

I only get nasty circles when I don't sleep enough.

Our past pediatricians suspected food allergies, and put dd on various elimination diets. Her symptoms never changed. It turns out to have been environmental all along. Her eye circles clear up on meds, but of course the meds cause tiredness. There is no easy answer. :confused: Does your dd have eye circles even with zyrtec?

Wow, in that little bit she looks just like my dd! In dd's case, there are no allergies but she does have celiac disease which we're told was the cause of her dark circles.

We see the dark circles in our family celiacs also.

Sorry, OP, I did not read all the replies, but recently read up on milk allergies. I learned that one of the symptoms of hidden milk allergies is dark circles under the eyes. Also, it is cyclical, usually worsening in winter months.

Someone may have already mentioned this.