Menu

What brand fish oil?

Hey there Jean-

I've moved away from fish oil to krill oil. Smaller pills, more potent, wide variety of benefits, and no repeating. Note: there's only one company who currently collects krill oil, so brand doesn't matter.

You may want to check vitacost dot com

Smiles,

Teresa in NC

Hey there Jean-

I've moved away from fish oil to krill oil. Smaller pills, more potent, wide variety of benefits, and no repeating. Note: there's only one company who currently collects krill oil, so brand doesn't matter.

You may want to check vitacost dot com

Smiles,

Teresa in NC

Dh is taking krill oil now, and we buy from vitacost. Krill oil is small but potent, really stinky. Dh, fortunately, doesn't stink from them and hasn't complained about the taste or odor. I mean to try krill myself, but I'm finishing up the Country Life Omega Mood we have. I take only one a day instead of the recommended dosage of two two and find it's enough to even out the monthly ups and downs.

We made the switch to krill oil as well at the direction of our family dr. We buy ours from Prograde Nutrition. The pill is small and has no flavor or smell. Well we haven't made a complete switch. I still give my boys Nordic Naturals (1/2 what I used to) in addition to the krill oil...still have Nordic Naturals in my cabinet.

I used to give my boys 4 of the Omega 3 6 9 Jrs a piece. Our Dr was fine with this dosage.

Info on krill oil:

http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/kristin-kirkpatrick-ms-rd-ld/new-omega-3-krill-oil

Our pediatrician recommended Carlson's fish oils. I bought them also from vitacost. They're the only ones I've tried that don't taste fishy at all, don't make you burp or smell like fish. It's the only one my dd will actually take.

We use Carlson's too - I buy Carlson's for Kids for the kids. Sometimes Amazon has a better price than other places and free shipping if you have Prime.

We use this fish oil from Minami Nutrition. My 11 and 9 year olds chew the capsules rather than swallow them, FWIW.

This is what we use, also. It has the highest EPA to DHA ratio, which is what is needed to help with some learning difficulties.

Thank you both. The page says for children ages 10 and up, do you use something else for your kids under 10?

Misty had posted this at some point:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328958&highlight=dha+to+epa&page=2

I just noticed we have our DHA vs. EPA in reverse :glare:. I am on the hunt for a new brand. We are in Canada so it is not as easy to find what I want. Anyway, thought I would post it in case it is helpful.

I am in Canada as well. Not sure if this helps you, but I use nutrasea hp

Edited by Jennifer-72

I am in Canada as well. Not sure if this helps you, but I use nutrasea hp

Looking into it, thank you :)! Do you use the one for kids or the one you linked? How much would I give my 8 and 3 year olds? Of course I will look into it also but if you don't mind letting me know, I would appreciate it. Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

It's ok Jennifer, don't worry about it. I think I figured it out. If I get the one you linked and based on Misty's list of studies, I could do the 3:1 (EPA : DHA) ratio by giving Adrian 1.7ml a day. I would have to use a dropper but it could work :) and Adrian would drink anything in juice. I'll probably keep Malcolm with what he is currently using until age 7. Adrian (concentration and some behavior issues) has been the one I have been most concerned with. For now Malcolm just seems to show some mild sensory issues, so we will see when he is a little older. Still need to look into it of course. Anyway, thanks again :).

Edited by Guest

I give ds7 a half a teaspoon a day. I just mix it into his morning smoothie.

Ooops, I didn't notice your post until now. Thanks, in our case I think I will just do 1.8ml to bring it closer to the 3:1 studies. Half a teaspoon might be a bit high for our situation and I know if I ask our doctor I will get a dear in the headlights look. Did I mention I am a chicken when it comes to stuff like this :tongue_smilie:?

Ooops, I didn't notice your post until now. Thanks, in our case I think I will just do 1.8ml to bring it closer to the 3:1 studies. Half a teaspoon might be a bit high for our situation and I know if I ask our doctor I will get a dear in the headlights look. Did I mention I am a chicken when it comes to stuff like this :tongue_smilie:?

Nothing wrong with that! Should always trust your gut with these things.:001_smile:

My children are of similar age. How many do your kids take as a dose? I can't find the recommended dosage in the info.

two capsules once per day (usually bedtime, just because that's when we remember; there are some kinds of fish oil that have other vitamins in it, say C/D/E or something, that I would not have them take at bedtime in case the vitamin might keep them awake)

two capsules once per day (usually bedtime, just because that's when we remember; there are some kinds of fish oil that have other vitamins in it, say C/D/E or something, that I would not have them take at bedtime in case the vitamin might keep them awake)

Thank you! I was trying to figure out how much to buy for my crew to give it at least a month trial. I didn't realize that about not taking certain vitamins at bedtime. Oh, I just noticed that the link on Amazon says Teen formula. Is that the one you order? I did see some on vitacost that didn't say teen formula, but everything else about the box appears to be the same. Was there something specific in the teen version that makes it differ?

Edited by Gingerbread Mama

My DAN! prescribed nordic naturals ProOmega at 1 or 2tsp's a day (I don't remember) for my then 6yo. My son won't take a liquid. period.

I ended up doing 1 capsule of Norwegian Gold Critical Care Omega in the blue box. My DAN! is fine with that.

I'll probably keep Malcolm with what he is currently using until age 7.

Just updating here that I'll be changing my little guy too. Just not sure to what yet but reading the studies again, I think it's best I find something else for him too!

I take Carlson, but I have yet to find anything that my DS will take. I brought home various samples of chewables and liquids from Nordic Naturals and he hated them all. I'll be reviewing all of y'all's suggestions to see what I haven't tried yet, so thanks for all the tips and tricks.

Shop Smart, published by company that publishes Consumer Reports, recently did an article on fish oil. They tested to see if the samples had the listed amounts of EPA and DHA, whether they disintegrated properly, if they showed signed of spoilage, and if the contained contaminants such as mercury, leady, dioxins, or PCBs. Even the brands that passed the tests had contaminants, despite claims of being free of mercury and/or PCBs; they just didn't exceed USP or other regulatory limits on those contaminants.

Carlsons, Norwegian Gold Ultimate Fish Oils Critical Omega, Nature's Way Fisol, and even some drug store brands passed the test. I'm actually using the Nature Made brand this month because we were tight on money. However, it, like many or most of the drug store brands, does not break out EPA and DHA separately. I'll be back to Carlsons next month, I hope. Other brands that passed are Spring Valley Omega-3, Finest Natural, Walgreens Omega-3 Concentrate, Barlean's Organic Oils, Nature Made 1,200 MG, The Vitamin Shoppe Meg-3.

Nordic Naturals did not pass; all of its samples showed high levels of oxidation compounds which can indicate spoilage. (I had bought the brand several months earlier when Carlsons was sold out; my batch had that hazy look that Nordic claims is spoilage when it appears in other brands.) Also failing were Kirklands, CVS Natural, GNC Triple Strength, Nature's Bounty Odorless, and Sundown Naturals.

I thought the test results were interesting as there was no correlation between cost and quality. It would be nice if we had better information about what's really in our supplements; I like to know I'm getting what I think I'm getting.

I take Carlson, but I have yet to find anything that my DS will take. I brought home various samples of chewables and liquids from Nordic Naturals and he hated them all. I'll be reviewing all of y'all's suggestions to see what I haven't tried yet, so thanks for all the tips and tricks.

Shop Smart, published by company that publishes Consumer Reports, recently did an article on fish oil. They tested to see if the samples had the listed amounts of EPA and DHA, whether they disintegrated properly, if they showed signed of spoilage, and if the contained contaminants such as mercury, leady, dioxins, or PCBs. Even the brands that passed the tests had contaminants, despite claims of being free of mercury and/or PCBs; they just didn't exceed USP or other regulatory limits on those contaminants.

Carlsons, Norwegian Gold Ultimate Fish Oils Critical Omega, Nature's Way Fisol, and even some drug store brands passed the test. I'm actually using the Nature Made brand this month because we were tight on money. However, it, like many or most of the drug store brands, does not break out EPA and DHA separately. I'll be back to Carlsons next month, I hope. Other brands that passed are Spring Valley Omega-3, Finest Natural, Walgreens Omega-3 Concentrate, Barlean's Organic Oils, Nature Made 1,200 MG, The Vitamin Shoppe Meg-3.

Nordic Naturals did not pass; all of its samples showed high levels of oxidation compounds which can indicate spoilage. (I had bought the brand several months earlier when Carlsons was sold out; my batch had that hazy look that Nordic claims is spoilage when it appears in other brands.) Also failing were Kirklands, CVS Natural, GNC Triple Strength, Nature's Bounty Odorless, and Sundown Naturals.

I thought the test results were interesting as there was no correlation between cost and quality. It would be nice if we had better information about what's really in our supplements; I like to know I'm getting what I think I'm getting.

This is so interesting. Did the test Country Life?