Menu

When to see the doctor -- rash

A couple of weeks ago, my daughter got these itchy red bumps on her arms. This happened on a day when she was stressed and nervous, and disappeared by the next evening, so I assumed it was hives and no big deal.

Today, her upper arms and her chest covered in little red bumps, and there's nothing emotional going on to explain it this time. (And it is worse than before.)

Time for a trip to the doc? Normally I wouldn't hesitate, but our medical insurance has been cut the last couple of years, so I know how hard I'm going to be kicking myself if I pay $140 out of pocket to hear my doc tell me to give her some benadryl. KWIM?

This just happened to me last week! My case of hives lasted 3/4 days off and on. It was also related to stress.

I wouldn't worry unless it lasts longer than 3 days, and also make sure that it is not affecting any part of her throat, because it can cause a person to have a hard time breathing if it starts in that area.

I would keep giving her the benadryl to keep the hives at a minimal, until they go away completely.

If she is not better in about 3 days, then I would take her to the dr.

*Also, think if she has eaten anything out of the ordinary in the last wk. It could be an allergic reaction to something she ate.

Maybe you could put her on a bland diet, and try to minimize her stress.

Sorry she is going through this. It is no fun!:grouphug:

Thank you! :grouphug: Her temperature is normal, and she feels fine otherwise. So hopefully it's nothing too serious. My husband reminded me that we have a nurse hotline we can call for free, so I did that. The nurse recommended that we use hydrocortisone cream or benadryl, and she mentioned the same things you said about her throat/breathing and what foods she ate recently that might have triggered it. Are you a nurse? :) She also told me to let our family doc know the situation even if I didn't want to make an appointment right away. So, that is all done.

Thank you so much for your kind help!